Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    CPU, Motherboard or RAM. Could also be a power issue. I'll write a checklist for you.

1. Switch out your RAM modules and use only 1 at the time in each channel. That will tell you if you had a short circuit in a RAM channel or just faulty RAM. If that is your problem.
    2. Check your CPU fan, yes your physical fan. Is it seated properly? Are the CPU fan connectors properly seated?
    3. Many people put only a 4-pin into the 8-pin CPU power, it can sometimes work for a long time and then a windows update or similar "kills" their computer. I get this alot, I would double check if that connector is an 8-pin and if it is, is it properly seated?

If none of the above works, I would try and replace the MB as it is the cheapest part. If that fixes it for you then great. If not you are looking at a faulty CPU and that is a bit more pricey to swap. Hope it's step 1-3, good luck.

edit: Now that I think of it, I remember fixing a PC by switching the GPU to a different PCI-e lane as the original PCI-e lane had been damaged due to a gpu change. I know it's a long-shot as it is rare as hell, but give it a try.

Do everything in that above quote if you have not done so already.

Deleted
    Thanks for all of the help guys, tried it all but nothing worked. Gonna just buy a new cpu and mobo - do you think its best to buy a z68 mobo and try my old processor and then buy another 2500k if it doesn't work, or just bite the bullet and get a z77 and ivybridge i5? Appreciate all the help

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypearce View Post
    Thanks for all of the help guys, tried it all but nothing worked. Gonna just buy a new cpu and mobo - do you think its best to buy a z68 mobo and try my old processor and then buy another 2500k if it doesn't work, or just bite the bullet and get a z77 and ivybridge i5? Appreciate all the help
    buy a Z77, they are more common, your 2500k will still work in one, and if your 2500k is defective, you can upgrade to a 3570k

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    nothing showing up is not the same as a no-post situation
    How can he know he doesnt have a post if he cant see anythign at all. (except if he has a speaker beeping on the mobo)

edit: nvm missread the OP post....didnt saw it was just power cycling alone.

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    buy a Z77, they are more common, your 2500k will still work in one, and if your 2500k is defective, you can upgrade to a 3570k
    MoBo first, cheaper and probably the problem. 2500k are REALLY tought CPU
    Last edited by McFrotton; 2013-01-18 at 04:16 AM.

Deleted
    sorry for the bump, just wanted to update - i bought an asus p8z77v le plus mobo, 3570k and some 2100mhz ram and it's up and running again. when I get the time I will test my old parts and see what was up, but until then, I had an excuse to buy some nice upgrades.