Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I predict we will see some other functions besides playing with friends for the Guesting feature such as:

Guesting to a server that has Balthazar unlocked.
    Guilds hosting worldwide activities. (map completion in Orr, contests, treasure hunts, etc)
    Guild recruitment.
    Guesting for dragons? mmmmmnot so much
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    it's too late to be useful to me, would have been amazing at launch but now the very vast majority of my friends are taking breaks, and if they did return, we wouldn't be levelling together any way.
    Exactly the same situation for me. Our guild has dwindled since launch. Many went back to traditional MMOs like WOW and such.

Those that have stayed around are mostly condensed on the same server anyway. Still would be nice to play with our friends in EU again. Something that was possible in GW1 for years. >.>
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-16 at 09:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Still would be nice to play with our friends in EU again. Something that was possible in GW1 for years. >.>
    I could have read the original link but I don't like GW2's website it makes my eyes bleed. So does this work cross region then? I'm looking for this type of feature in other MMO's grouping with them at the very least I don't care if I can artificially visit their server I'd just like to group and do things with friends that play in the EU.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I could have read the original link but I don't like GW2's website it makes my eyes bleed. So does this work cross region then? I'm looking for this type of feature in other MMO's grouping with them at the very least I don't care if I can artificially visit their server I'd just like to group and do things with friends that play in the EU.
    Well in GW1 it was broken into districts like Tera. And currently in GW2 you can dungeon group cross server & region. I assume that will be the same with guesting.

I could probably check. But I am also in a high level map run right now and don't want to die. XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Well in GW1 it was broken into districts like Tera. And currently in GW2 you can dungeon group cross server & region. I assume that will be the same with guesting.

I could probably check. But I am also in a high level map run right now and don't want to die. XD

Apparently not. This just came across my Twitter, same reason the MMO I play now can't/doesn't do it either atm.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru.../3#post1221430

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Nope, says in the original link it won't work between EU and NA, own region only

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Ex-fucking-cuse me?

There's a lot of problems, this was used as a point of how ArenaNet's failed to meet expectations, whether it directly affected them or not. "hopefully they will stop crying about that" is petty, and using this as a reason to defend Anet itself, as if this absolves it of everything else that they've failed to deliver on or just fallen short of is not only short-sighted, but pathetic white knighting, and needlessly insulting.
    Could not have said it better myself.

TBH too little too late, free transfers already fucked WvW to the point where it will never fully recover. I guess guesting is great to have for those that have been looking forward to it... since BETA.

Oh, but it's limited to your region. Just wow.

Overall I'm happy to see it though, because FINALLY those pathetic wastes of life known as WvW bandwagoners (entire guilds included) will finally be stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    You know kelisti there is a difference between UPS and The Pony Express. Delivering something late isnt always a bad thing. Either Better late then never or better late than broken in a sorry state.
    Ah, kinda like their LFG tool? Or fractals? Or most of all, sPvP?

Actually it seems most of the time their game plan is for features to be late and in a sorry state, then with a fix really, REALLY late.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2013-01-16 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Nope, says in the original link it won't work between EU and NA, own region only
    What.

I am doing this face -_- mixed with 9_9 and >.> IRL at the moment.

There is almost zero benefit to guesting now for myself or my guildies. We were a GW1 guild mostly based in the EU. Guess that is that...

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly the same situation for me. Our guild has dwindled since launch. Many went back to traditional MMOs like WOW and such.

That really sucks that your guild died. From my experience, guiilds that organize activities and keep things fun and positive about the game tend to do MUCH better than those that are more loosely organized or indulge in game-bashing.

My guild has been doing extremely well. We had an incident a few weeks back where a rogue officer booted all 400 members out of the guild. Within 24 hours we had 250 of our members back and within a week we had 375 of our lost sheep home.

Are they all logged in at one time? No, generally only see 60-80 people on at once, may go up to 100-120 on weekends. Looking at the Guild Transaction tab however, anywhere from 200-225 people log on every day.

From what I see around the game my guild is the norm, not the exception.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    That really sucks that your guild died. From my experience, guiilds that organize activities and keep things fun and positive about the game tend to do MUCH better than those that are more loosely organized or indulge in game-bashing.

My guild has been doing extremely well. We had an incident a few weeks back where a rogue officer booted all 400 members out of the guild. Within 24 hours we had 250 of our members back and within a week we had 375 of our lost sheep home.

Are they all logged in at one time? No, generally only see 60-80 people on at once, may go up to 100-120 on weekends. Looking at the Guild Transaction tab however, anywhere from 200-225 people log on every day.

From what I see around the game my guild is the norm, not the exception.
    We only run small, close knit guilds. Most were from GW1 [which many, including myself, still play] and friends we brought from other MMOs like WOW/SWTOR/blahblah. Our peak was like ~60, iirc.

We don't PUG and don't recruit from game either. Only friends & family.

Wouldn't say our guild was negative about the game. Kinda weird to mention. We just did the normal stuff- events, dungeons and so on.

Likely the thin PVE led to our guildies returning to more stately games. Our GW1 guild and guild mates from other games are not the biggest PVPers. Most are hardcore progression raiders- and thats the games they retured to, WOW and Rift mostly. We sorta blew through all the jumping puzzles, dungeons and meta events within a month or so anyway.

I only have like 2 paths left for that dungeon master title and we ran up to like 30 something fractals our first try. GW2's laid back PVE isn't for most of our "crew", I think. My husband still plays 3-4 times a week. He is opposite though- PVP fanatic in GW1 & 2.

I did join a few other "big" guilds though. Rarely play with them because I am a loner/xenophobe. XD
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-01-16 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I am amused at "CITIZENS" as well.

Took them long enough. Lost the chance to play with quite a few friends because of this feature, and no "free server transfers" don't fix that when you're spread across several other servers to be with other circles of friends. "It's no big deal, we can just guest to play with eachother " turned into months of just playing with our own circles until enough of them had moved on that it doesn't really fix that.

Five months to do a feature they were advertising in beta. Five months to the day (if you're not counting headstart).

Most of the damage has already been done, putting it in now won't really remedy anything (but will fix WvW transfers, hey).

---------- Post added 2013-01-16 at 12:46 PM ----------

Ex-fucking-cuse me?

There's a lot of problems, this was used as a point of how ArenaNet's failed to meet expectations, whether it directly affected them or not. "hopefully they will stop crying about that" is petty, and using this as a reason to defend Anet itself, as if this absolves it of everything else that they've failed to deliver on or just fallen short of is not only short-sighted, but pathetic white knighting, and needlessly insulting.
    You are excused by all means.

I'm not defending them per-se like you imply, I expected this to be as late as March or more. And there are still alot of problems, didn't say there weren't. But all that whining about the company stating "we want to do" ceases when this happens, because in fact they were working on it, shocker I know. Yes, that should be from the start, it's a given and not up for debate, altho I agree with Zeek/Rhan of much better have something that works above everything else. Regardless personally (yep) that didn't stop me from enjoying the game at all, didn't completely stop you either and a good bunch of others as well, I mean I saw you alot online there, unless you just "afk playing". And if any of the others were completely turned off now they can completely go all out :O. I honestly don't really know how to express what I want to say as much as obviously you do, but the fact that it seems like a lot of it it's always white and black is childish. It was a nice feature to be had at release, and announced to create expectation but jesus if it didn't come in time...it's such an ordeal (Hello d3) (and as Rhan said, the only feature to really backlash as "promised" at launch). Just feels like people could use a mind of their own...wouldn't hurt. Failing to meet expectations is one thing and it happened but we'll see from here, cause mmos is always like playing lego.

Cool feature but again personally not that vital (counting the fact that was hyped big time) to post-pone release. One might wonder if delaying the game that was very highly super expected could hurt more?

And now that the info is out, it's just time to actually be horrified with every point of it, while this may not apply to you we all know that it happens all around.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    Excuse some of us for being mildly miffed (or more) that promised features were not delivered at launch, or shortly afterwards. I'm not super upset about it personally, but I find it poor behavior and a poor reflection on ArenaNet more than anything else. If you advertise and hype up a feature, deliver on it.

If they talked about wanting to implement it shortly after launch but couldn't until now, fine. But it was super hyped as a launch feature. That's an issue.

redit: Super happy that it's finally being put in though. The restrictions on the 2 servers at a time kinda comes out of nowhere, but I'm glad I'll finally be able to finally play with some of my friends now.
    That's the thing, ANet communicated before launch (after the 2nd or 3rd beta) that it wasn't going to be available until after the launch. If it was that feature was so important to someone they easily could have gotten a refund. As for the typical entitled MMO whiners, I see them in full force even after a firm launch date was told. It's so predictable and funny.

Expressing dismay and/or dissatisfaction is not entitlement. That's an absurd accusation.

When does that apply to any other medium of art or entertainment any way?

"Oh I thought that scene was poorly written, underlit and lacked clarity for the overarching plot".
    "You're just an entitled whiner. Get a refund if you didn't like the scene that much!"

It's just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    That's the thing, ANet communicated before launch (after the 2nd or 3rd beta) that it wasn't going to be available until after the launch. If it was that feature was so important to someone they easily could have gotten a refund. As for the typical entitled MMO whiners, I see them in full force even after a firm launch date was told. It's so predictable and funny.
    After months and months of hyping the feature up, yes. I was a bit annoyed by it, but was fine provided it was released in a reasonable timeframe after launch. It was not (it will be 5 months). For a core element of the game that they had trumpeted as something that set them apart, their huge delay on it is not good.

I am entitled. I'm entitled to the game that they claim to deliver. If they hype up a feature and fail to deliver, damn straight I'm going to bitch about it. If they delay it for 5 months, causing many friends to drift away as it was a feature that brought many in the game to begin with, I'm going to be a bit upset.

So yeah, I'm about as entitled as any guy who spends money on a product and expect it to be delivered as-advertised, or with the removed features included shortly after release. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Yes, it was a hyped up feature, but it was the only feature that wasn't immediately delivered upon (despite what hordes of players would have you think). And as much as I would have loved it to have been delivered at release, I'd much rather a well-designed and implemented feature were delivered rather than a shoddily implemented feature that needed to be redesigned from the ground up *after* delivery. As with all releases, there are going to be some features that slip through.

What I expect happened (and I doubt we'll ever get an official explanation) is that initial alpha tests of it worked, and then when they broke it out to a larger scale (smaller than the BWEs, but larger than internal testing -- ie, F&F or other larger testing), it had some critical issues that needed to be resolved. And rather than delivering a poorly implemented design, or delaying release until they had it resolved, they decided to take flak on a late delivery of a single feature.
    not a lot of intelligent answers/replies here, mostly I hear is bitching with eyes and ears closed
    Last edited by Maarius; 2013-01-17 at 05:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    not a lot of intelligent answers/replies here, mostly I hear is bitching with eyes and ears closed
    Being on the opposite end of an argument as you doesn't make the opposing opinion unintelligent. Unless we're reading two entirely different threads, the complaints in this thread are actually presented quite well.

More on topic, this would have been a nice feature for me at launch...as others mentioned, I have multiple circles of friends. Being on the same server would have been impossible. Too little too late for me, I guess. I can't think of much use I'd have for this now, were my friends and I still actively playing. "Better late than never" does not apply to me.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic
    Ouch, last nail in the coffin. I don't believe they ever said it would work cross-region, but this is still a harsh sting. I'll have to wait for a few more patches before I consider playing again. All it'll take is some true endgame PvE and you'll have me back, ANet. Pllleeeeeaase?
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2013-01-18 at 09:10 AM.

what is true endgame pve? if you mean raiding, you are out of luck

Deleted
    I'm with Doozer here, what is true pve endgame? Seriously, what it is it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    what is true endgame pve? if you mean raiding, you are out of luck
    It will be interesting to see what Guild Missions are going to be. They haven't given too many details yet.
    Valar morghulis

Heh. The amusing thing is that even if GW2 did implement some sort of raiding environment [which already are in the game, btw] akin to MMOs in classical Everquest sense-- Arena.net would have to break their own design philosophy. Actual "end of game" or endgame content in that style is predicated on a continuation or advancement of player/character progression.

What are they going to do? Have players "raid" the Txevu equivalent for liquid karma and another variation of Tou/Pow/Crit gear of the Elite. Unlikely.

The desire for raiding, or even endgame in a more general sense, is misplaced in Guild Wars 2. Though there are plenty of other games that suit that style. Could just like, play those.