Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Stuff like this is generally why I stop loving Fire Emblems. I want to enjoy them, but the mathyness and strategizing of them is beyond me (why do I even pretend to play Pokemon? idfk).
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Lower skill, lower speed, no resistance, weakness to tons of weapons, generally better class options for skills, and two less movement. The only thing they beat paladin in is defense, strength, and axes, which aren't worth the penalties.
    Paladin is the better option.
    Skills is only when you play Awakening though. Paladin doesn't have a skill in FE8.
    I generally use Cavaliers as up front tanks anyway, and they fill that role better with more defense (you wont have to rely on speed/luck).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Stuff like this is generally why I stop loving Fire Emblems. I want to enjoy them, but the mathyness and strategizing of them is beyond me (why do I even pretend to play Pokemon? idfk).
    It's not that hard really. Most of the math is done by the computer anyway. (Unless you put everything on tactical and you have to calculate everything yourself).

They only really matter in the harder difficulties. It's hard to screw yourself over that much and make the games unplayable in easy/normal modes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monado View Post
    Skills is only when you play Awakening though. Paladin doesn't have a skill in FE8.
    I generally use Cavaliers as up front tanks anyway, and they fill that role better with more defense (you wont have to rely on speed/luck).
    Oh, didn't notice SS.

It's not that hard really. Most of the math is done by the computer anyway. (Unless you put everything on tactical and you have to calculate everything yourself).
    The planned evolutions, the planned pairings and skill granting and carryovers, it's just "Oh hey I'm doing okay, but this level's been kicking the living snot out of me".

"TOTALLY NOT HARD LOOK AT HOW I SKILLED AND CLASS CHANGED EVERYTHING, EVEN HAVE THE KIDS PLANNED OUT".

It's like having your level 80 somethings rag tag team of whatever go head first against EV Trainers.

---------- Post added 2013-03-04 at 06:50 PM ----------

They only really matter in the harder difficulties. It's hard to screw yourself over that much and make the games unplayable in easy/normal modes.
    Hard/Classic.

The planned evolutions, the planned pairings and skill granting and carryovers, it's just "Oh hey I'm doing okay, but this level's been kicking the living snot out of me".

"TOTALLY NOT HARD LOOK AT HOW I SKILLED AND CLASS CHANGED EVERYTHING, EVEN HAVE THE KIDS PLANNED OUT".

It's like having your level 80 somethings rag tag team of whatever go head first against EV Trainers.

---------- Post added 2013-03-04 at 06:50 PM ----------

Hard/Classic.
    Pffft, hard mode is like normal compared to normal being baby mode. Eugenics like that don't matter at all outside of lunatic+ and lunatic to a lesser extent, since the kids will come out broken anyway. Just play how you like and pair up as many units as you can.
    You can break most of your units with a decent second seal(not making Kellam a priest or Chrom an archer or something stupid like that) and end up with a super army pretty quickly. If worst comes to worst you can grind a bit on map risen, spotpass teams, or dlc maps.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2013-03-05 at 02:31 AM.

I'm not sure which limiter it is specifically, but Reeking Boxes on my Hard/Classic setup are currently 4800G. Not quite easy to "grind a bit" especially early-to-mid game.

I'm not sure which limiter it is specifically, but Reeking Boxes on my Hard/Classic setup are currently 4800G. Not quite easy to "grind a bit" especially early-to-mid game.
    They spawn over time and when completing chapters after chapter 3 or 4. But if you're still that early, chapters 1-5 can be some of the most brutal ones on any difficulty.

They spawn over time and when completing chapters after chapter 3 or 4. But if you're still that early, chapters 1-5 can be some of the most brutal ones on any difficulty.
    Chapter 7, trying to find creative ways to not lose anyone, while also not giving up all of my experience to a jerkface like Frederick (brought him on the "Recruit Donnel" mission to speed-kill the thieves, nothing before/after).

Deleted
    Talking about children makes me tempted to begin playing Fire Emblem 4: Ribald Tales of the Faith War again. Dear goodness how broken those kids were. :x

And I'll also agree on Pokémon being deceptively complex for being touted as a simple pet collection game.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, if you are playing on Lunatic+. If you are just playing it because you want a good tactical role playing game, there is almost no math involved. You can pretty much faceroll your way through Hard mode without trying very much, unless you are OCD like me and enjoy grinding to get all of your units up to the same level all the time? I find the way I play sinks more time into the game itself as well, and I still haven't even bothered finishing Chapter 12 yet because I am having fun getting all my characters up levels and hoping to get more Master Seals

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 09:56 PM ----------

Get the EXPonential Growth DLC and then go nuts killing Entombed for a couple of hours and you will destroy everything.

Deleted

It's like having your level 80 somethings rag tag team of whatever go head first against EV Trainers. [COLOR="red"]
    I smiled at this post because I do have the kids planned out without having the game yet ;_;
    Guess that's my tactical mind to plan ahead... or something
    Quote Originally Posted by Raminax View Post
    Talking about children makes me tempted to begin playing Fire Emblem 4: Ribald Tales of the Faith War again. Dear goodness how broken those kids were. :x

And I'll also agree on Pokémon being deceptively complex for being touted as a simple pet collection game.
    Never played FE4, is it good?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Get the EXPonential Growth DLC and then go nuts killing Entombed for a couple of hours and you will destroy everything.
    That seriously feels like cheating man. I'm not even gonna buy that DLC or the gold getting one.
    Probably going to buy all the others though (not sure about the 3rd map in that gold/exp set, looked kinda like Lagdou Ruins to me, might be nice).

So I got this recently, loving the game so far but I'm not too far into it yet. One thing I've been wondering is what exactly does pairing up units do? Chapter 9 on hard and as of yet, outside of a unit or two being potentially two shot if I'm not careful I've not seen the point of pairing up outside of losing an attacker. Fill me in, I know I'm missing something here, I just don't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Z View Post
    So I got this recently, loving the game so far but I'm not too far into it yet. One thing I've been wondering is what exactly does pairing up units do? Chapter 9 on hard and as of yet, outside of a unit or two being potentially two shot if I'm not careful I've not seen the point of pairing up outside of losing an attacker. Fill me in, I know I'm missing something here, I just don't see it.
    It's probably the fastest way to work in relationships, and on top of that, it provides stat boosts to the lead unit.

HELP ME!!!! I've already logged 200 hours in my first playthrough... and only 10 of those hours were me falling asleep playing.... >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonwolfe View Post
    In other words, he's worried about how sharp your bayonet is when you are firing RPG's.

Deleted
    I smiled at this post because I do have the kids planned out without having the game yet ;_;
    Guess that's my tactical mind to plan ahead... or something
    I only have the Avatar and Lissa planned out. Maybe Chrom and Olivia too, simply because I want a "Hey, I just met you..."-scenario.

Never played FE4, is it good?
    It's plenty of fun and challenging. Absolutely giant maps with multiple clear objectives for each one makes the game pretty long. Rather dark storyline. A few of the mechanics are pretty dumb (weapon weight and very restrictive trading comes to mind as particular offenders), but otherwise it's all swell and standard Fire Emblem fare. Dunno if the graphics have aged well on the eye, though, but it's kind of like the GBA series... Cartoony, though it's leaning more towards realism with proper proportions and less spintowin when doing crits.
    Last edited by mmoc7d4827b7f1; 2013-03-06 at 10:05 AM.

Deleted
    So i was having a look at Awakening stuff now since i figure i should prepare with knowledge and such. Mainly marriage since i was curious about the children etc, but i also browsed other things (obviously nothing really story related more than "you can marry after x chapter" and FAQ). Im sure my eyes visibly widened when i looked at this specific comment:"Unlike most games in the series, Chrom's promotion is not tied to the advancement of the storyline.".
    Was fairly shocked, but at the same time i like it because it was annoying when you had your main at lvl 20 for half an ice age unable to promote.
    Now if streetpass wasnt the only way you could encounter your friends teams, and there would actually be a better multiplayer. But i shant ask for more, pretty happy with everything ive read so far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenhou View Post
    So i was having a look at Awakening stuff now since i figure i should prepare with knowledge and such. Mainly marriage since i was curious about the children etc, but i also browsed other things (obviously nothing really story related more than "you can marry after x chapter" and FAQ). Im sure my eyes visibly widened when i looked at this specific comment:"Unlike most games in the series, Chrom's promotion is not tied to the advancement of the storyline.".
    Was fairly shocked, but at the same time i like it because it was annoying when you had your main at lvl 20 for half an ice age unable to promote.
    Now if streetpass wasnt the only way you could encounter your friends teams, and there would actually be a better multiplayer. But i shant ask for more, pretty happy with everything ive read so far.
    I really like having an unique class though, like Blade Lord etc.
    It is quite nice to choose what the main hero's class is though, allthough it seems rather odd to have him use Falchion then suddenly change him into an Archer lol.

I like it as well, some games have horrendous late promotions, like Roy/Eliwood. Roy only gets about 1 chapter (or 4 with true ending) to actually be used in promoted form. Basically any promoted unit by then is allready ~level 10 and way better than him with their respective Divine Weapon.
    Eliwood promotes very late (in his mode, not Hector's obviously) and he just generally sucks as well. So... yeah.

Any idea how spotpass works though? I still have no idea what the hell it is and how I use it/get characters in the future.

Deleted
    Well, theres a chapter on spotpass and streetpass on the serenes site but its not that informative. I guess its either like the DoA one or the mystery gift in pokemon.

DoA: Released a new character now and then and asked if you wanted to download at the DS screen.
    Pokemon: Do the search yourself in the start menu and pick from available.

Im guessing the latter though since you apparently can redownload them anytime.

And yes, things like making Chrom an archer seems stupid. I still feel they should remove the class change, but the promotion path could remain, aka having two promotion choices.

Any idea how spotpass works though? I still have no idea what the hell it is and how I use it/get characters in the future.
    Inside the menu there's a button for things like bonus teams or bonus maps that you can fight. Teams update daily with units from previous games like Lyn, Ephraim, Florina, Nephenee and such. You summon them to a spot on the world and you can buy them, fight them, or use them as a shop. Maps update every other week(so far) with a cool map. And once in a while you can get a legendary weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenhou View Post
    And yes, things like making Chrom an archer seems stupid. I still feel they should remove the class change, but the promotion path could remain, aka having two promotion choices.
    Class changing is a really nice feature that helps a lot to make units viable, but yea, Skelington thinks it should be limited to one change per unit or something, since it's way too overpowered now.
    Some units just don't work in their base class/promotions and it's more fun not benching units you really want to use.
    Last edited by Skelington; 2013-03-08 at 08:01 PM.

Deleted
    Inside the menu there's a button for things like bonus teams or bonus maps that you can fight. Teams update daily with units from previous games like Lyn, Ephraim, Florina, Nephenee and such. You summon them to a spot on the world and you can buy them, fight them, or use them as a shop. Maps update every other week(so far) with a cool map. And once in a while you can get a legendary weapon.
    Dang, that sounds pretty cool. Thanks for explaining it to me :3

You can use them as a shop? Lyn sells Mani Katti's or what?

Deleted
    Well, it's a StreetPass shop, but I'm guessing SpotPass is similar? Clicky!

As for reclassing, it's kind of a nice feature, but Awakening resetting levels and allowing you to grind to infinity does seem to work out a bit fishy in practice. But at the same time, if you'd retain levels between switches, acquiring skills would've needed an entirely different method. :/

Either way, I'm creeped out by myself. I'm already figuring out ways how to break the game in two, such as getting children with a >50 Luck cap and giving them Armsthrift. Infinite durability ho!
    Last edited by mmoc7d4827b7f1; 2013-03-08 at 08:34 PM.