Cover Letter that made me grin.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kid-se...151518002.html

Lets come to the realization that the internet has faciliated millions of people to duplicate a "perfect" cover letter but I always felt that honesty in a cover letter makes a better impression to any employer.

Anyone out there with similar cover letters that opened your doors for employment?

Is it sad the first thing I noticed is that he spelled 'crap' as 'crapp'? Misspellings are a big no-no on a cover letter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Is it sad the first thing I noticed is that he spelled 'crap' as 'crapp'? Misspellings are a big no-no on a cover letter.
    Noticed that too lol.

--

This would be nice if it encouraged atleast a few people to not lie in their cover letters, but I doubt that will ever happen to those that already lie or will want to lie in future cover letters.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    And to think, he didn't even spell "crap" correctly and still got a call.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I noticed that too, but I still liked it. Gotta admire people who are just willing to put themselves out there and do whatever's needed to get the job done.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it just me or does the crapp look like a hyperlink in the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah I noticed that too, but I still liked it. Gotta admire people who are just willing to put themselves out there and do whatever's needed to get the job done.
    If he can afford to live in New York City and work for nothing, he's probably not putting himself out there so much as he's putting mom and dad's bank account out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It's just coloured I believe, with blue? I don't understand it quite well tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daskapital View Post
    If he can afford to live in New York City and work for nothing, he's probably not putting himself out there so much as he's putting mom and dad's bank account out there.
    Well good for him. If he has parents who can afford to do that for him and are willing to do it, he should take advantage of it. Often kids with parents like that tend to lack the chutzpah to want to take a job where they might end up fetching coffee or picking up dry cleaning. I admire the spirit that says, "I'll do whatever I need to do to get my foot in the door."
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    It is most definitely blue, and I assumed the same thing. I also assumed it was a link to something else in which he intentionally spelled it "crapp" because that is perhaps how it is spelled wherever that link leads.

Personally I more noticed "I just wanted thank you" in the very first paragraph, which would be very easy to pick up by simply reading it aloud, which I would expect people would do with these things. But regardless, a tiny mistake like that is irrelevant now that his cover letter has exploded more or less publicly for it's extreme blunty-ness.

I've written a few of these types of letters for police internships. Got the internship, but no news story.

Would be interesting to see a politicians honest and blunt cover letter float around somewhere.

Well it is an email and you tell from the different colored font of the word "crapp" that it is a hyper-link to something, maybe titled "crapp" so most likely it is not misspelled.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cafe View Post
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/kid-se...151518002.html

Lets come to the realization that the internet has faciliated millions of people to duplicate a "perfect" cover letter but I always felt that honesty in a cover letter makes a better impression to any employer.

Anyone out there with similar cover letters that opened your doors for employment?
    I agree about the usual BS in application letters not being worth anything, and I appreciate the blunt approach. However, a person who is making an application to a Masters of Science degree, possibly a law qualification and is writing a cover letter for a job, who can't even get the spelling and language right? I think not.

...I don't get it? I've seen about 1 of these every 20 or so applications... It's commonplace among apprenticeship/internship applications. Why is this one special? Why did this one go viral?

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    ...I don't get it? I've seen about 1 of these every 20 or so applications... It's commonplace among apprenticeship/internship applications. Why is this one special? Why did this one go viral?
    Yea it is really not that special. I learned a long time ago that copy/paste and charging a few words in a cover letter doesn't work. You write your own to stand out.

I guess it might have something to do with the offer to shine someone shoes in an email... Like the email was sent 50 years ago when professional shoe shiners was a thing.