Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Resto] Tips you wish someone had told you

Basically, I was informed I might be filling in for one of our healers and to be honest... I'm not a good healer, I sit in heroics and spam HST. So I got to wondering, are there things that you more experienced resto shamans can share with me that you wish someone had shared with you when you started healing?

Knowing what your spells heal for (crit and non-crit) and how much mana they cost is way more important than having a nifty addon setup. Default raid frames show deficit and raid debuffs... Which is essentially all the info you need to succeed.

Deleted
    While this isn't resto shaman per se, I still find it very important.
    Understand the fights! There is nothing worse than something bringing the raid down to 20% hp but then there wont be any incoming damage for 20 seconds, and seeing healers spam healing surge for the life of them "having" to top people of instantly, if you can predict the damage, the healing gets easier.
    Also remember that you're not in there alone, try to co-operate with the other healers, if you don't get "set" healing roles for your raids, remember that you don't need to spam a raid member that will take spike damage (ofcourse you heal him though) since in 99 cases out of 100, the other healers will have seen the spike damage as well and will want to bring the player up.
    That's all I could come up with at the spot

10+ Year Old Account
    Unlike prag I wish I had a nifty set up first, changing to vuhdo was the greatest boost to my healing possible, knowing how much your spells heal for takes about 10 minutes of casting on yourself, getting the right raid frames set up for yourself will take a lot longer but once your comfortable with it it really really make a difference.

Work with your healers, we always plan our cooldown useage for most fights.

Mouseover macros. Never breaks (unless spells change but that's just re-type, so no biggie) and works with any interface.

To breath and not to panic, to know the fights before you do them and plan accordingly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcanthet View Post
    Mouseover macros. Never breaks (unless spells change but that's just re-type, so no biggie) and works with any interface.
    But that isn't essentially to healing

Tips like "knowing your spells" and "knowing the fights" are way more useful

Edit: somehow the "essentially" disappered when correcting the wording
    Last edited by Madhoof; 2013-01-17 at 11:12 AM.
    R.A.I.D - Resto at its destiny

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Madhoof View Post
    But that isn't to healing

Tips like "knowing your spells" and "knowing the fights" are way more useful
    Yes it is, Mouseover macros are one of the most useful things to a healer, unless I've misunderstood you completely.

Deleted
    Agree with Ares. I leveled my first character as a shaman healer by running dungeons, and my enjoyment of the game skyrocketed once I learned about mouseover macros.

Quote Originally Posted by Madhoof View Post
    But that isn't essentially to healing
    Agreed. Mouseovers are useful no matter what spec you play. Although I do wish someone had told me about them all those years ago, click add-ons never agreed with me and when someone mentioned you can just write mouseover macros I never looked back Ah, the joys of gaming innoence

Deleted
    Id have to echo knowing the fights and knowing how your mana bar will look in them (do you have periods of downtime to regen a bit, times you need to spam)

Drop Mana Tide Totem early and on CD, dont wait until 50%, mana drop it at like 70% or 80%. If your mana is fine but your other healers isnt, drop it.

Read the resto shaman guide for advice on the actual spells etc too

Depending who you are healing with dont worry if someone is sat on 80% health, let the HoTs heal them up and do a bit of dps to help

Hope you enjoy it !!

Sepha

Also always worth having a peak at is Vixsin's blog:

Life in Group 5

I wish I had found it sooner than I did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Keep Earth Shield on the tanks at ALL the time. Do not neglect them or put them on after every battle. If it's not on the tank, REFRESH IT.

I was going to start my own thread, but since this one is fresh and new, I'm going to just ask in here:

Tips and tricks for a newbie healer in LFR? I've read through the ej guide, the guide posted in this forum, and I even watched four minutes of the funkymonkey vid, but I'm still unclear as how I should be healing when I first go into LFR MV. It seems like the healers never talk to each other and I'm going to be bad enough without trying to intuit what I should be doing.

Also, is there a way to macro your heals so the default is to give you the finger/arrow if there's no target? If I cast a heal with no target (or no focus if I've made a focus macro), it casts on me. I want to be able to cast the spell and then click on the raid frame or pic (if heroic) for the heal to go to that person. (I understand mouseover macros but as I'm still learning I haven't set up my keybinds yet). Thoughts?

Thanks.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    I was going to start my own thread, but since this one is fresh and new, I'm going to just ask in here:

Tips and tricks for a newbie healer in LFR? I've read through the ej guide, the guide posted in this forum, and I even watched four minutes of the funkymonkey vid, but I'm still unclear as how I should be healing when I first go into LFR MV. It seems like the healers never talk to each other and I'm going to be bad enough without trying to intuit what I should be doing.

Also, is there a way to macro your heals so the default is to give you the finger/arrow if there's no target? If I cast a heal with no target (or no focus if I've made a focus macro), it casts on me. I want to be able to cast the spell and then click on the raid frame or pic (if heroic) for the heal to go to that person. (I understand mouseover macros but as I'm still learning I haven't set up my keybinds yet). Thoughts?

Thanks.
    First in lfr people rarely judge you on your healing so i wouldnt worry about going in 1 fresh. Ive been in runs where people have been healing less than dps and no1 blinks an eyelid.
    Probably the most important thing to getting good healing and keeping people alive in any raid including lfr is knowing the fight. If you know alot of aoe damage is going to come soon then get a healing rain down before hand to get people up efficiently instead of relying on spamming healing surges etc.
    Keep earth shield on the tank as much as possible. Shud always be 95% + uptime. Always use healing stream totem on cdown, it does alot of healing, usually in my top 3 healing spells. Riptide shud be usually kept on the tank and 2 other people who are taking damage. If you glyph it then i think you would use riptide on alot more people who take damage. Dont stay with the cataclysm style of healing, healing rain down, and spam lightning bolts for mana wont work as well anymore. Instead I tend to use healing wave when people are taking minimal damage to heal them when they first take damage and pop resurgence for more mana back. Also figure out when the best time is to use ur cdowns. Its worthless to save them the entire fight if you know theres only going to be high aoe damage like in the 8th min for example. Try and get the most use out of them. In a fairly long fight you should be able to get 2 uses and a possible 3rd use out of all of them. Also dont over use chain heal. Its pretty low healing and i find should only be used during high aoe raid damage and always on a target with riptide. That being said I suppose the best chain heal might be an alright spell in a 25man raid and if you glyph it since then it would heal the lowest hp targets in a radius and bounce on to another low hp target. I havent tried this in lfr though so cant say how it will be then. Also make sure to only use healing rain when you have the unleashed life buff. 30% increased healing makes this a much better spell.
    Dbm is quite a good addon to start out with when you go into lfr. I can go into a fight completely clueless and come out knowing most the fight just because of dbm giving warnings and timers of important stuff.

For your second question i think if you press esc, click interface, then go combat, and make "auto self cast" unticked it should come with an arrow on default. If you wouldnt mind going with an addon for healing, healbot is very easy to set up and allows you to just keybind different spells to your mouse. Vuhdo is a bit more complex but also a very good addon for binding your healing spells to your mouse and clicking on raid frames which come with these addons to cast the heal. Theres also an addon named clique which is very similar to a mouseover macros and allows you to keybind a button on the mouse to a spell and when you click on the raid frames with that button it cast the spell.

Hope i helped atall
    Last edited by mjolnrik; 2013-01-18 at 03:47 PM.

You cannot use both Mana Tide Totem and Healing Tide Totem at the same time. Seems pretty obvious but I found myself sometimes pressing both at the same time, just to have the other cancelled.

Not so much in line with the thread title, but if you are thrown into resto shaman healing

1) get familiar with the Tidal waves mechanic, and its synergy with the 3 main targeted healing spells, (Surge, and the 2 waves)
    2) If you are struggling with mana, look at the glyph of recall, and play with it, learn to judge when to recall totems, and timings based off it.
    3) Learn encounters, you have very powerfull CD's (HTT / MTT / Asc / SLink) and using them at the right time, can be very beneficial to the raid.

You dont say what type of raiding you will be walking into.. HC / Normal ... MsV / HoF / ToeS?

There are lots of little things for each encounter (MTT when @70+ tiles etc on Hc.Stone) but rather than walls of text, anything we can focus on?

Esr.

i agree with 'know the fights'

knowing when damage is coming and when damage isn't coming is essential to being a good healer.

nothing erks me more than watching healers pop HTT or tranqs after crushes or the second dissonance field

Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    Knowing what your spells heal for (crit and non-crit) and how much mana they cost is way more important than having a nifty addon setup. Default raid frames show deficit and raid debuffs... Which is essentially all the info you need to succeed.
    This makes me lawl a bit in my heart. Yes Resto shaman should know the cost... but with our mastery, it's impossible to know what our heals are going to heal for. Yes we can know the range, but that range is going to be huge depending on how much mastery you are running atm/windsong procs etc.
    Don't get me wrong.. I LOVE knowing how much my GHW is going to heal for, but it's a freaking guessing game at this point and I hate it.

/misses the days of downranking heals

Drop Healing Tide totem at the right time, i love to drop it right before the big damage come. Do not drop Healing tide totem with healing stream totem at the same time, you should have weak aura to tracking healing stream totem cooldown and duration

As a healer, i found the easy way to keep my healing effective is learn the fight's mechanic, where the damage come from, which debuff should be heal or dispell, after big raid damage, do people need to top up quick or not, DBM or bigwig is your best friend. That the way i love to heal, not just "HEAL THROUGH IT", Smart heal always win, do not really care about HPS.
    Last edited by Wanek; 2013-01-19 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcanthet View Post
    Also always worth having a peak at is Vixsin's blog:

Life in Group 5

I wish I had found it sooner than I did.
    Awwww, shucks. <3