Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Red face Legendaries and you!

    Finally,1 hour ago I got dragonwrath and completed my personal goal to obtain all the available legendary weapons.http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rkted/advanced

    only atiesh missing and it saddens me to say that i will never be able to earn in

    After so much farming,personally,I had some of the best times in WoW with pals and strangers from openraid and a lot of different stories to tell!

    My question is simple:
    What are your stories?What was/is your favourite legendary so far and why?Which one you despice the most?Where you had more fun?What do you think of the lore behind all those shiny weapons?

    Feel free to share your thoughts with the rest!

    Ill start.My fave is by far shadowmourne.By far.The lore behind it being the only weapon to overpower the a'mighty frostmourne gives me goosebumps!And besides all that,ICC had the best theme,imo,as a raid.Ice,darkness,lich king!
    Last edited by Nightwish; 2013-01-17 at 12:03 AM.

  2. #2
    As a caster in Cata I feel like Dragonwrath shouldn't even be considered a legendary. Everyone and their mother had it... Alts of alts of alts of offspecs and entire 25 man raids had them. Silly really. As good as it was pre and post nerf it was still wayyyy too easy to obtain. I think the way Blizzard has done legendary gems and things like the Sha-touched weapons this tier is different. Not so much "legendary", but allows everyone to obtain them if they feel like doing the quest line.

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    4,027
    In my opinion, the last legendary weapon was Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings.
    Last edited by shise; 2013-01-18 at 11:23 PM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Zie View Post
    As a caster in Cata I feel like Dragonwrath shouldn't even be considered a legendary. Everyone and their mother had it... Alts of alts of alts of offspecs and entire 25 man raids had them. Silly really. As good as it was pre and post nerf it was still wayyyy too easy to obtain. I think the way Blizzard has done legendary gems and things like the Sha-touched weapons this tier is different. Not so much "legendary", but allows everyone to obtain them if they feel like doing the quest line.
    I disagree. For an average 10m guild, it still took over 20 weeks to obtain it. Perhaps on 25m it could go a little fast, but on 10m it took a long time.

    The problem with Dragonwrath, was that is was BiS for 1 year and 3 months. The road to the weapon itself felt Legendary enough, and had a fun questline. Within the 5 months of Firelands, an average 10m guild would have farmed it. But if you add a short and easy raid like DS after it for almost 10 months, without having a better weapon in it, people will have time left to farm the legendary, which still was BiS.

    Legendary's are timesinks, either to hope for that one drop, or farming a raid each week.

  5. #5
    Moderator Kerdoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    7,578
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    In my opinion, the last legendary weapon was Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings.
    The only legendary I want on my shaman. But I cba to farm it

  6. #6
    Off hand warglaives has dropped two of two times i ran BT. Hoping for the main hand next time. That is all.

  7. #7
    It's not a Legendary, but it may as well have been given the questline I did for it. Runesword of the Red from the AQ opening event quest chain. Same skin as the BWL blade, but far more epic and as rare if not more than any legendary other than perhaps atiesh.

  8. #8
    I thought the title "Legendary" was dictated of the colour of the item, and not wether people think it is or not.

  9. #9
    My Shadowmourne an warglaives in that order just playing my dk an wielding shadowmourne back in wotlk was just epic you actually felt like a god with it.
    An warglaives nuff said.

  10. #10
    lets not discuss the whole "its not legendary!" thing again, plenty of other threads for that

    OT: congratz nightwish, working on it aswell but RNG is not my friend. my personal favourite is Val'Anyr just because TITANS <3

  11. #11
    Mechagnome Serendia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    630
    Even though it wasn't my first legendary it was exiting for me to finally get Dragonwrath. Got Sulfuras and Thunderfury completed in the same week I think. Started quest on Shadowmourne back in WOTLK but never completed it. Never really got to raid Ulduar with one of the classes who could obtain fragments for Val'anyr and never made it far in the old Naxx

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakushi View Post
    lets not discuss the whole "its not legendary!" thing again, plenty of other threads for that

    OT: congratz nightwish, working on it aswell but RNG is not my friend. my personal favourite is Val'Anyr just because TITANS <3
    One of the best lore-wise indeed!

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 11:51 AM ----------

    And my personal HUMBE opinion: legendaries are legendaries because of the pain and effort you have to get through in order to obtain them,no matter if many people manage to hold it.Just because pre-wrath there were no questlines,it was all depended on pure RNG luck.Thus,people started to consider that legendary=rare.Thats not the case.Legendary is a weapon due to it being special,and having ofc a special way to obtain it.

  13. #13
    To each their own I guess. Stories I would have are from defeating hard encounters with a group of people I enjoy playing with (guild), commedy wipes or Realm First achievements. I'm not sure if I would find farming trivial content for RNG drops to be stories worth telling.

  14. #14
    If anything "current" style legendaries are MUCH better than pre-wotlk ones, even if many people had those daggers, staves and shadowmournes. You just get steady progression on a legendary and it's in no way a "welfare" item because you still need lots of resets farming content. The firelands staff was so common because it was overpowered, and best-in-slot for TWO TIERS of raiding, people had a YEAR AND A HALF to obtain it. No wonder so many people got it in the end. If you'd count only those who acquired it pre-DS, the crowd was suddenly not so large.

    Vanilla and TBC legendaries were horrible, pure RNG. Could take a year to make single thunderfury or glavies set, while other guild gets two in a row, and that was silly.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    If anything "current" style legendaries are MUCH better than pre-wotlk ones, even if many people had those daggers, staves and shadowmournes. You just get steady progression on a legendary and it's in no way a "welfare" item because you still need lots of resets farming content. The firelands staff was so common because it was overpowered, and best-in-slot for TWO TIERS of raiding, people had a YEAR AND A HALF to obtain it. No wonder so many people got it in the end. If you'd count only those who acquired it pre-DS, the crowd was suddenly not so large.

    Vanilla and TBC legendaries were horrible, pure RNG. Could take a year to make single thunderfury or glavies set, while other guild gets two in a row, and that was silly.
    Exactly my thoughts,my friend

  16. #16
    Val'anyr is my favorite

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    In my opinion, the last legendary weapon was Val'anyr, Hammer of Ancient Kings.
    Forgive me if I don't consider something that is for all intents and purposes a random drop a real legendary. imo a legendary should take real skill to get through some kind of tough solo effort as well as your raids effort, rather than something that's just handed to you on a plater. Something like Through a Glass Darkly but harder would be awsome.

  18. #18
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    3,258
    Quote Originally Posted by draconisaerius View Post
    Forgive me if I don't consider something that is for all intents and purposes a random drop a real legendary. imo a legendary should take real skill to get through some kind of tough solo effort as well as your raids effort, rather than something that's just handed to you on a plater. Something like Through a Glass Darkly but harder would be awsome.
    Val'anyr was collected the same way Atiesh, Shadowmourne, Dragonwrath, and the rogue daggers were: By collecting fragments. The only difference between Val'anyr and its followers was that Val'anyr took a much longer time to aquire and that Ulduar 25man couldn't really be pug'ed by random trade channel players (blame 30% Icc buff, 20% FL nerf and 35% DS debuff).
    Of course Ulduar only being current for a handful of months (unlike Icc and DS) was also a huge factor, as well as 10mans dropping legendaries in Cataclysm, making legendaries much easier to pug.

    And I don't really think the poster you quoted was refering to the nature of random drops. Back then there weren't any normal modes. There was a hard mode, and a corpse run mode, so legendaries were reserved for players with dedication and PvE success, unlike now where persistency is enough.

    And I did that Dragonwrath quest you are refering to. It is not hard. Not the slightest. Requiring people to complete all rank 8 Brawler fights and challenge modes would require "skill" (and frankly I wouldn't mind that), but then people would cry that it's too hard, and to be honest legendaries aren't about "solo skill", but beating raid encounters as a 25man/40man team.
    Last edited by Funkthepunk; 2013-01-20 at 12:44 PM.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    If anything "current" style legendaries are MUCH better than pre-wotlk ones, even if many people had those daggers, staves and shadowmournes. You just get steady progression on a legendary and it's in no way a "welfare" item because you still need lots of resets farming content. The firelands staff was so common because it was overpowered, and best-in-slot for TWO TIERS of raiding, people had a YEAR AND A HALF to obtain it. No wonder so many people got it in the end. If you'd count only those who acquired it pre-DS, the crowd was suddenly not so large.

    Vanilla and TBC legendaries were horrible, pure RNG. Could take a year to make single thunderfury or glavies set, while other guild gets two in a row, and that was silly.
    Much better? Thunderfury was BiS for tanks for 5 tiers straight for aoe tanking till they nerfed it (again) and for 4 tiers for single target tanking. Val'anyr was BiS for 2-3 tiers depending on what class you played. All the other legendaries have been garbage in comparison to these two.

  20. #20
    Only legendaries i have are the warglaives and thunderfury. Got pretty lucky with both, warglaives took only 4 runs and even got the main hand drop again in the second week. As for thunderfury, got both bindings in 2 consecutive weeks when farming transmog gear for my hunter, was really not thinking about the sword but since i got so lucky i decided to go for it and get the rest of the mats. Also got the eye of sulfuras some months ago and have been very slowly gathering the rest of the mats to make the hammer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •