Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    The most FRUSTRATING game hands down I've ever had the misfortune of deciding to beat (Once you decide this there is no turning back) is N+. I had never heard of Super Meat Boy before this thread, but the game looks eerily similar. There's nothing like doing the same exact 5-10 seconds of the same level over and over again to really make you feel like you are going insane. I did this on my friends Xbox so I had to set up a zone with pillows/blankets where I could chuck the controller so I didn't smash it to pieces; sometimes it took every ounce in my body not to send it through my TV.

Dark Souls drove me nuts a number of times as well. There's nothing worse than dieing to something with a large number of souls, and then dieing to something incredibly stupid on your way way back to lose them all (FUCKING ELEVATOR TO NEW LONDO).

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Did you play Gamecube or WII version? Because the WII version is twice as easy apparently than the Gamecube one. I played Gamecube and I almost quit the game at that boss, second playthrough couple of months ago I made it in 3 tries (I think I was lucky xD).
    Yes I hated that boss as well. I think the first time I beat him it took me like 10 tries. Then the next time I played though the game I beat him in like 3 tries. The worst part is you're on a timer since you are constantly losing health because of the environment. I played the Gamecube version btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Useful APM and reaction times are just individual difficulties and not based entirely on the game itself. For a guy who can react instantly to anything, all games are therefore easy by your reckoning. Personal skill level does not define if a game is hard overall. That's like saying getting a world record in the 100m sprint is easy, if you can run that fast. Sure, if you're Usain Bolt or the like it's easy, but that doesn't mean it's actually easy.
    While that's true. some games basically have a minimum requirement for things like APM and reaction times in order to progress. A fighting game requires faster reaction times than a turn based RPG for example.

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 08:37 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Wowowowowow. Old post, I know, but I can't really ignore this. Firstly, Battletoads have been out for over 2 years, Ninja Gaiden 2 hasn't (Note how the fastest runner says he loved playing it as a kid). Secondly, Battletoads is a beat 'em up, Ninja Gaiden 2's gameplay doesn't catter to speed runners. Thirdly, Ninja Gaiden 2 is much longer, that doesn't necessarily mean that its harder, because while it is hard as shit, it is on par with the original Ninja Gaiden for the NES. Fourthly, speed runners like these guys does nothing but practice all day, there's a lot of prestige in beating Battletoads as opposed to Ninja Gaiden 2. Last but not least, learn what TAS means when talking speed runs, it's going through the game frame by frame to make it perfect, that's what BY FAR most speed runners do.
    SDA runs aren't TAS. Ever. Most of them even stream on twitch if you'd like to verify this for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    While that's true. some games basically have a minimum requirement for things like APM and reaction times in order to progress. A fighting game requires faster reaction times than a turn based RPG for example.[COLOR="red"]
    Indeed, but an RPG may require a more strategic mind and resource management than a fighting game does, where as a fighting game requires you to develop pattern recognition and timing.

They can both be very difficult for different reasons. A game's difficulty depends solely on how much you have to learn and manage. If you master a game, it's no longer hard -to you-, but its difficulty will never change.

Control Room was harder than Aztec IMO. Hardest level in anything I've ever anything'd.

I don't really think most of those are THAT difficult...

The Turbo Tunnel in Battletoads is not even the hardest level. The Inferno and Roller Coaster levels were much, much worse...

Did you try Contra on the hardest difficulty?

---------- Post added 2013-01-21 at 10:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    As a bigtime Battletoads player I need to break it to you and say that Turbo Tunnel is one of the easier stages in the game. That by no means makes it easy, it's still very hard by normal game standards, but there are stages heaps harder than that in the game. Terra Tubes is harder for example, the sharks and fishes are always a kick in the nuts. Volkmire's Inferno is easily a much harder version of Turbo Tunnel. Karnath's Lair (Snake stage) is also a lot harder because of the 4th room. Intruder Excluder is a tad harder too, not by much though. The Revolution is also harder, but maybe that's because you don't get to practice that as much since its the last stage. Clinger Winger, oh fucking hell no, that's quite near impossible.

However, if we're talking the most frustrating stage, Rat Race takes it. It makes me so stressed it goes beyond being pissed and puts me in a depressive mood for the rest of the day. That's the true turd of Battletoads, while Turbo Tunnel is where most people get stuck, if they ever pass it they'll learn that the game only gets harder from there on. Rat Race is the peak, not necessarily because its the hardest stage, but it is by far the most stressing, one bad turn can cost you the stage. Fuck that stage.

Oh, and you missed Stage 6 in Ninja Gaiden, that stage is also renowned for being shitly hard, and its at least a lot harder than The Great Maze on Intense, which I didn't find all that hard tbh. What am I saying? Its your list, I shouldn't try and control it. Still, I think that it needed mention in here.
    You said it! Clinger Winger is the roller coaster stage, it took about 50 plays to finally be able to beat it!

And yes, Chpater 6 in Ninja Gaiden... The first time I died in the FIRST of the 3 bosses and got sent to the very beginning of the Chapter, after just barely beating 6-2, made me nearly throw my controller to the ground in frustation.

Only 1 mention of Boshy? IWBTG is child's play compared to IWBTB( I wanna be the Boshy).

Google it, it's a free game made by Solgryn and it was made for a Twitch streamer named Boshytime. The game is an INCREDIBLY hard puzzle platformer and the boss battles are intense.

I dunno, not usually playing at hardest possible difficulties, and if I do -- it's Halo games (except for Reach, cuz it's worst of all and simply boring). So yeah, there are few cute places in different Halo's, like whole third level in Halo:CE...

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Only 1 mention of Boshy? IWBTG is child's play compared to IWBTB( I wanna be the Boshy).

Google it, it's a free game made by Solgryn and it was made for a Twitch streamer named Boshytime. The game is an INCREDIBLY hard puzzle platformer and the boss battles are intense.
    And then there is ear rape spider. He always appears when you stop expecting him.

Dam level in TMNT really shouldn't be that high up on the list, if at all. You should at the very least replace it with the Technodrome level in the same game, leagues harder than the Dam, only, it never got any recognition because people gave up playing the game before getting there.

This list looks more like "The 10 levels we didn't have the wits to beat as kids".