Need new internet in NC. Tired of Timewarners BS.

Well, after lagging for the last hour of my raid and causing three wipes, im tired of timewarners crap. We call customer service, and of course, the problems on our end. Not theirs. Then they reset the modem and have us unhook it and say "You'll see it work better in three days". They did not come out here, they did all of this over the internet. Im willing to bet the better in three days is just them hoping we give up. Not only does my internet lag at times, and completely drop for minutes at a time, our TV connection also just quits. At which point we must reset the modem on our end.

So, aside from their horrid customer service, lack of fixing Anything, and INCREASING our monthly fee for "upkeep costs", im ready to change. Whats a good internet / cable package that is around 100bucks or so that wont break so easily and will actually be bothered to be fixed by the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Well, after lagging for the last hour of my raid and causing three wipes, im tired of timewarners crap. We call customer service, and of course, the problems on our end. Not theirs. Then they reset the modem and have us unhook it and say "You'll see it work better in three days". They did not come out here, they did all of this over the internet. Im willing to bet the better in three days is just them hoping we give up. Not only does my internet lag at times, and completely drop for minutes at a time, our TV connection also just quits. At which point we must reset the modem on our end.

So, aside from their horrid customer service, lack of fixing Anything, and INCREASING our monthly fee for "upkeep costs", im ready to change. Whats a good internet / cable package that is around 100bucks or so that wont break so easily and will actually be bothered to be fixed by the company.
    The problem with switching cable providers isn't as easy as just up and leaving one and getting another in the US. Most cable companies own what is essentially a monopoly in an area of a city, apartment complex or even an entire town. I would check locally, but don't be surprised if there is no alternative you will even be able to switch to. It really does suck, but that is how things are done here and likely why so many people deal with TW's crap when most would have already left such a crappily provided service. No competition = stagnation which is what cable companies hope for.

That's disappointing to hear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Call back and ask for a supervisor.

Where in NC are you? I have had TW for years and don't ever have issues with service. I run 50/5, not sure what you run. I will say the only thing I have an issue with was the modem they use, not the best, but that isn't a TW issue, it's a manufacturer issue.

What modem and model are you using? If you do not have "Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem". That may be one of your problems. That whole Docsis 3.0 standard is a huge deal in cable modems. Especially for issues like yours or not getting all the speed that you are paying for. I'd replace the modem.

Get the Timewarner techies come out to check the line to your house. I'm serious.

I plan to go to Timewarner soon as my lease expires with AT&T in a year and buy my own modem online...so that I do not have to pay modem fees. You don't want to go to AT&T. Trust me.

I too live in NC. Your name looks familiar like a friend of mine.."Zantas". He too lives in NC.

Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by majinsnake View Post
    What modem and model are you using? If you do not have "Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem". That may be one of your problems. That whole Docsis 3.0 standard is a huge deal in cable modems. Especially for issues like yours or not getting all the speed that you are paying for. I'd replace the modem.

Get the Timewarner techies come out to check the line to your house. I'm serious.
    Have you actually read the specs of the different Docsis specs? 2.0 is more then capable of delivering any of the packages that timewarner offers. In fact they don't even offer a package that comes anywhere close to what 2.0 is capable of delivering much less 3.0. As a bonus side affect turbo boost isn't compatible with docsis 3 and they still give you a shitty 6to4 tunnel instead of a real ipv6 address when using newer modems that support it.

Yes I have read the specs. I'll re-read them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS

The modem would help in the long-run if and when Timewarner updates their packages. I know at some point Timewarner will ditch their docsis 2.0 modems. If not get a docsis 3.0 modem...I'll still replace it either way. 2.0 or 3.0.

I don't even know what package he (Zantos) is paying for. You had said that docsis 3.0 is beyond the packages that Timewarner offers. It would not matter then.
    I didn't say get the modem solely for the speed. It appears you took that way...I might be wrong. Sorry. I know people who complain about not getting all their speed and go buy that same docsis 3.0 modem.

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 07:53 AM ----------

I have been wondering if he (Zantos) is using a wireless cable modem. "Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG901 DOCSIS 2.0 Wireless Cable Modem"