Poll: Should parenting require a license or parenting courses?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Should parenting require a license or parenting courses?

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ire-a-license/

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...icensed-parent

As the title says, should parenting require a license or parenting courses?

1. Parenting is one of the most important roles a human being can fill in their lives. A parent's behavior has a direct impact on not only a child's immediate physical and psychological well being, but also that child's ability to one day become a healthy, functioning adult member of society.

2. Bad parenting is very expensive to taxpayers. Neglected and abused children often end up as wards of the court, costing taxpayers millions of dollars each year due to the state being responsible for providing food and shelter for children who end up in the system. Children who develop psychological disorders become less productive members of society as adults as well--abused children are less likely to continue on to college and graduate school, make less income, and are less productive at work in comparison to their peers. The fiscal cost of lost productivity from American workers due to depression and depressive-related disorders alone is estimated to be in excess of $31 billion per year.

3. Bad parenting is arguably more dangerous than drinking, flying a plane or driving a car, yet all three have an age requirement and 2 out of 3 require licensure. Why not parenting?

4. Regulation of who can or cannot parent would potentially be extremely difficult to do and can be very expensive, and may be seen by some as invading upon our basic human rights.

quote 4. Regulation of who can or cannot parent would potentially be extremely difficult to do and can be very expensive, and may be seen by some as invading upon our basic human rights. &quote
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Yeah great only who decides who can and can't be a parent? What are the criteria? Who decides what is good parenting and bad parenting?

You want the government deciding how children should be raised? Those idiots?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Parenting is something all good parents learn to do themselves when they are interested in having children. Extra work shouldn't be applied to all potential parents just because a few bad apples.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. This would start a rebellion (that I would enthusiastically support if this happened) even faster than trying to confiscate all guns in America.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a mixed thing with me. On one hand, there are clearly people that should have never become parents in the first place. On the other, Im very much against being told what i can and cannot do with my reproductive system, or even my progeny if Im not actually physically or mentally harming them in any way.

However, I do think a class should be mandatory, for EVERYONE. Make it free, but make it mandatory.

Deleted
    Lol... oh you are serious? Ofc not!

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Yeah great only who decides who can and can't be a parent? What are the criteria? Who decides what is good parenting and bad parenting?

You want the government deciding how children should be raised? Those idiots?
    Parenting courses could include such things as breastfeeding, nutrition, time management, financial management. Just examples.

Believe it or not, some people don't know that there are certain foods/medications to avoid while breastfeeding, for example.

There is a good common ground where people could decide what is or is not bad parenting. Stuff beyond personal preference (television/internet usage, discipline, etc).

Drinking requires a legal age of 21 and you need to pass a test to drive; why not to parent?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post

Drinking requires a legal age of 21 and you need to pass a test to drive; why not to parent?
    How are they gonna control who gets pregnant? If you're pregnant and deemed to not be fit as a parent, what then?

the answer to question 3 is question 4.

Besides parenting isn't really the kind of thing you can test. You can just as easily be a f*ck up at everything in life and yet be a great parent as you can succeed at everything but be a not-so-good parent.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    How are they gonna control who gets pregnant? If you're pregnant and deemed to not be fit as a parent, what then?
    This likely depends on the government in question but some examples could be:

1. denying your child citizenship rights until parenting courses are fulfilled/license obtained
    2. severe fines
    3. jail time

As for question 2, there are many many potential parents out there who want children but cannot have them. You screw up, you lose your right to parent, someone else ends up taking care of your children (most countries pretty much have this already).

Also (my personal opinion) licensure doesn't need to be this super strict thing, where you have to jump through a bunch of loopholes. More like, take some classes, learn how to change/feed a baby, etc. maybe include some lifestyle management training, such as time management, how to deal with the stresses of parenthood in healthy ways, basic financial planning.

One potential problem is that issues like this may arise: http://www.kgw.com/news/New-Portland...134720613.html

(But really I don't understand how a woman can be pregnant and not know it, but that's just me.)

Parenting courses could include such things as breastfeeding, nutrition, time management, financial management. Just examples.

Believe it or not, some people don't know that there are certain foods/medications to avoid while breastfeeding, for example.

There is a good common ground where people could decide what is or is not bad parenting. Stuff beyond personal preference (television/internet usage, discipline, etc).

Even what seems like a simple part of parenting like breastfeeding is highly controversial. People get incredibly worked up about whether breast is best and how big a deal it is which one you choose.

Mandatory abortion!!!

---------- Post added 2013-01-17 at 06:09 AM ----------

This likely depends on the government in question but some examples could be:

1. denying your child citizenship rights until parenting courses are fulfilled/license obtained
    2. severe fines
    3. jail time
    Good lord how is this not going to make the situation orders of magnitude worse?

Good lord how is this not going to make the situation orders of magnitude worse?
    Fines and jail time are standard for operating a vehicle without a license.

I don't think people would make it to be as big of a deal as some people in this thread would make it out to be, people aren't staging protests in the street because they need a license to drive.

But that's why I made this thread, I figured the answers here would be interesting so I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Deleted

Mandatory abortion!!!
    Are you serious? ._.

Are you serious? ._.
    It was sarcasm!!!

Although Celista's actual proposals sound almost as bad!!!

It was sarcasm!!!

Although Celista's actual proposals sound almost as bad!!!
    lol

guess I'm developing a fanclub in this thread tonight >.<

Even what seems like a simple part of parenting like breastfeeding is highly controversial. People get incredibly worked up about whether breast is best and how big a deal it is which one you choose.
    This is very true. Although there are some basics that are (for the most part) universally accepted and don't fall into controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Parenting is something all good parents learn to do themselves when they are interested in having children. Extra work shouldn't be applied to all potential parents just because a few bad apples.
    this i agree with.

A book or a class dose not tell nore teach you how to be a good parent. Trying and doing it dose.

Just because there is a few bad parents dose not mean that all parents are bad.

For every 1 bad parent you know/can find Im sure you know/can find 2 who are not.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure what kind of system could be in place to ensure people take their parenting courses, but I wouldn't mind throwing taxes at that. I'm typically a small-government type of person, but how a child grows up is pretty crucial to their overall well being. Society doesn't need any more pain and bad parenting creates a shit ton of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you serious? ._.
    Welcome to the People's Republic of America (under new Chinese management).

I don't think people would make it to be as big of a deal as some people in this thread would make it out to be
    Seriously? If something like this happens, there will be an armed revolution across the nation.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

15+ Year Old Account
    In Californian public school systems, children take a sexual education "class" (it's more like a seminar really, not a full blown, year long class) 3 times from grade school through graduation from high school.

Logistically, getting people into a class once they join the workforce would be difficult, but with the already existing sexual education courses, why not take it a little further and instead of just going "Sex is bad, mmmk?" go for a well-rounded "In case you -do- get pregnant and become a parent : here's some information".

I see nothing wrong with that at least. A little education can go a long way in my opinion, and education while in school is almost a no-brainer.
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...