Exclamation New Rig, Loud Fan at startup? Also is my rig underperforming in game?

Desktop Specs: (DXDIAG)
    Operating System: Windows 8 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_rtm.120725-1247)
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/17/12 17:26:44 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16292MB RAM
    Page File: 2058MB used, 16536MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6818)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Type: Full Device
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6818&SUBSYS_E241174B&REV_00
    Display Memory: 9906 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 2017 MB
    Shared Memory: 7889 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: SyncMaster
    Monitor Id: SAM05C5
    Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
    Output Type: HDMI
    Description: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes

Hardware Summary:
    CPU:ATI Radeon FX 8120 3.1GHZ
    GPU: AMD Radeon 7870 2GB DDR5 PCI-E 3.0 (Sapphire OC Edition)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE AMD970A AM3+ USB3 SATA 3MB
    Cooling: Case Fan 120MM
    Asetek 5120LC 120 MM
    RAM: Patriot Viper III 4GB 1866 MHZ Memory (x4)
    Hardrive: 1TB SATA III 7200 RPM 3.5"

QUESTION 1:
    Hey guys so around Christmas time I received a new desktop as a gift. After a week or so of gaming I noticed that upon a cold start up the what seems to be the fan is extremely loud. After a minute or so it calms down and goes back to a normal and quiet speed. Ive searched the forums and have acknowledge the possibility that this could be the optical drive as well but I am not entirely sure. Before the issue I have not had any overheating problems or changed an bios/fan speeds to cause this issue. I would like to know your input on this issue and the quickest and easiest way to get it fixed. I am leaving for school in a few days and would prefer not having to send it back to the company as it would take FOREVER to get it back. (Unless its that major of an issue where I should just simply return the entire desktop).

QUESTION 2:
    I have been playing WoW on this computer for a couple of weeks now and was just curious what level of performance I should expect. In crowded areas like Org and in front of Org I get about 30-44 during peak time. Arena 60-100. 25 Man raids/SHA is where I see a huge performance drop. I have gotten as low as 25 fps and as high as 60+ fps idle. I looked at my task manager and it seems as if the game only uses about 8-12% of my CPU. I understand that WoW is a very cpu heavy game and ATI builds are not as well optimized for gaming as Intel builds. However, with the GPU/CPU in my desktop i felt that i should definitely be receiving better performance in game. My temps are usually well below the thresh hold and the core package's highest temp reached was 62 degrees after 8hrs+ of gaming. My settings in game are Ultra except View distance and Shadows which are set to high. I also have multisampling set to 4x. I have also talked to a guildie of my who claims with pretty much the same exact build that he receives as high as 100+ fps in most areas and last night during peak time in org only dropped down to about mid 70's. Should I be getting better performance in game or am I lacking in some area of hardware?

Thanks again for the help in advance.

Cyndren
    Last edited by BHOutbreak; 2013-01-17 at 06:41 AM.

I don't know about the second question, but I think the first one is quite normal. One minute seems rather long but I think the Fan Control intentionally sets the Fan to maximum speed at startup so the temperatures can equilibrate for a moment safely before the fan is adapted to the temperatures. It also avoids possible Bios warnings about low fan speeds.
    my desktop does the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Keex View Post
    I don't know about the second question, but I think the first one is quite normal. One minute seems rather long but I think the Fan Control intentionally sets the Fan to maximum speed at startup so the temperatures can equilibrate for a moment safely before the fan is adapted to the temperatures. It also avoids possible Bios warnings about low fan speeds.
    my desktop does the same.
    Ahh so if this is normal that's a relief. Much rather not have to send in this PC. Waited 2 weeks for a fresh graphics card because the one sent with the computer initially was damaged. Thanks for your input.

Can anyone help with question 2?!

1)Its your 7870 it does that i can assume until your windows loading starts when its drivers load, it stops then, correct? Thats because it tells the fan to drop to its normal speed because at startup its running at 100%, hence sounding so loud.

2)Multisampling x4 = Bad.

Its not enough that WoW always favored Nvidia, 7870 isnt the top of the crop, of course strong enough for games like WoW, but as in any MMO, in crowded areas and with mass spell effects as raiding you will see drops if your settings overextend what you should actually be putting.

Sunshafts and Multisampling and everything, turn them off.

3)Make sure you dont have some retarded buggy forgotten add-on, people always forget that addons can cause insane amount of problems when forgotten/outdated.
    Last edited by potis; 2013-01-17 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndren View Post
    In crowded areas like Org and in front of Org I get about 30-44 during peak time. Arena 60-100. 25 Man raids/SHA is where I see a huge performance drop. I have gotten as low as 25 fps and as high as 60+ fps idle.
    Those numbers are slightly low, I would have expected to see 30-35 so make sure you don't have any outdated addons slowing down. Especially recount. But you should not be expecting to see 50fps in raids either, there's a good reason why Intel processor is recommended for WoW and all other MMORPGs.

My temps are usually well below the thresh hold and the core package's highest temp reached was 62 degrees after 8hrs+ of gaming.
    FX-8120 runs ridiculously hot, especially if it's overclocked at all, but shouldn't be that hot. Maybe there's something wrong with case airflow, or are you living in a country with very high ambient temperature (like Australia)?

I also have multisampling set to 4x.
    Drop multisampling and texture filtering to 2x. You probably wont notice any visual difference but should get higher fps.

I have also talked to a guildie of my who claims with pretty much the same exact build that he receives as high as 100+ fps in most areas and last night during peak time in org only dropped down to about mid 70's.
    Don't believe what people claim. Most likely they run the game "full ultra" and then push shadows to minimum or something like that.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    wow uses first two cores mostly. (it can use more but the performance gain from it isn't anything to write home about)
    don't forget that wow in 25man raiding setting can be quite demanding in the CPU department. (hence why intel shines with more power/clocks per core and amd usually compensates for that by adding more cores which wow cannot really get an advantage from.)
    overclocking might be worth a shot to improve you wow performance , however that cpu you got is notorious for being a heat machine so double check what cooler you got first. (lots of guides out there but also depends if you want to OC it at all)

Deleted
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor(8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
    This is the achilles heel of your build. AMD really flipped us the bird with their Bulldozer chips, heck the old fossilzed Phenom x2 chips have better performance in games like WoW.

Only way you're going to see any meaningful performance improvements is going with Intel, sucks I know, but there really is no comparing intel & AMD CPUs at this point. Your friend claiming 70 fps in a populated city is just untrue, I know this because I am unfortunately also stuck with AMD (955 at 4 ghz) and I barely used to even see 40 fps in moderately populated cities, on a chip which has been proven to show better performance in WoW than it's Bulldozing successor.

Going with a 7870 was an excellent choice though, AMD atleast seem to have the edge over Nvidia in the graphics department as of lately. You can pickup a brand new 7870 for as little as £145 with as near as makes no difference GTX580 performance. This kind of price/performance ratio is unheard of in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    wow uses first two cores mostly. (it can use more but the performance gain from it isn't anything to write home about)
    don't forget that wow in 25man raiding setting can be quite demanding in the CPU department. (hence why intel shines with more power/clocks per core and amd usually compensates for that by adding more cores which wow cannot really get an advantage from.)
    overclocking might be worth a shot to improve you wow performance , however that cpu you got is notorious for being a heat machine so double check what cooler you got first. (lots of guides out there but also depends if you want to OC it at all)
    Ive looked into it but I'm a bit skeptical about messing with BIOS. However I did look into AMD Overdrive (Control Panel Version). I've heard good and bad things about it though. I ran it moderately last night so it wouldn't fry my cpu and got up to as high as 4.3gHz before i stopped it. Unfortunately I'm reading that software is really not capable of finding stable voltages etc for your comp. If thats the case then its probably not worth OC'ing through Overdrive....Has any one had any positive exp with this?

Blimey- Really a shame that this processor is that disappointing in WoW man..Have you found any solutions to get a bit more out of the CPU?
    Last edited by BHOutbreak; 2013-01-17 at 08:11 PM.

Deleted
    Ive looked into it but I'm a bit skeptical about messing with BIOS. However I did look into AMD Overdrive (Control Panel Version). I've heard good and bad things about it though. I ran it moderately last night so it wouldn't fry my cpu and got up to as high as 4.3gHz before i stopped it. Unfortunately I'm reading that software is really not capable of finding stable voltages etc for your comp. If thats the case then its probably not worth OC'ing through Overdrive....Has any one had an positive exp with this?

Blimey- Really a shame that this processor is that disappointing in WoW man..Have you found any solutions to get a bit more out of the CPU?
    if you can find out what kind of cooler you got and keep voltaged/temps reasonable you can gain quite some performs with changing settings manually in the bios. (sounds scarier then it is, just read up well on some guides and you should be good to go)
    all i've heard from overdrive, is to stay away from it.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    if you can find out what kind of cooler you got and keep voltaged/temps reasonable you can gain quite some performs with changing settings manually in the bios. (sounds scarier then it is, just read up well on some guides and you should be good to go)
    all i've heard from overdrive, is to stay away from it.
    I guess manually through BIOS it is then. Right now i'm running Asetek 510LC 120MM Watercooler and the Stock 120MM Case fan. Any idea of some legitimate sources for guides? So many contradicting and wishy-washy opinions on OC'ing.

Deleted
    I guess manually through BIOS it is then. Right now i'm running Asetek 510LC 120MM Watercooler and the Stock 120MM Case fan. Any idea of some legitimate sources for guides? So many contradicting and wishy-washy opinions on OC'ing.
    should be able to handle some moderate OC cooling wise.
    perhaps you can contact the 2 amd bulldozer oc'ers we got around these forums with a PM? (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...g-Leaderboards) my focus on OC knowledge is based on intel/nvidia so i'd be of little help in any specifics.
    perhaps overclockers.net got some good guides?

Found a guide on Overclockers that shows step by step process as well as a video. Guess this is as good as it gets lol.
    (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=688663)

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 02:38 AM ----------

I called cyberpowerpc an hour or so ago just to get their opinion and he said that the issue might be with playing wireless. I am at home until classes resume and can't really test out playing via ethernet since the jack is down two levels of stairs. Could this be possible or was it just a simple excuse?