Deleted

Two single beds together

Good day everyone,
    I have recently relocated to a bigger room, which means that I am no longer restricted to a single (90 cm / twin(?)) bed (my old room was quite small). However, the bed I have was actually quite expensive and I enjoy it a lot. Thus I decided I would buy the 180 cm (king size?) version of the same bed. Sadly finding a buyer for my bed has not been successful. Instead I've been considering getting an identical second bed, and just putting them together.

They are box spring beds, so they have a mattress and a 'base'. Attaching the bases shouldn't be too much of a problem, but I am wondering if I would notice (without trying too hard) that its not 1 mattress, but two different ones. They would of course be held together by the sheet you put over your mattress (I couldn't figure out the word for this), and you have those things you can put in between to cover the crack, it's called a pont d'amour as far as I know. The bed would also be put in between a wall and something heavy. I suppose I could also try and find a place where they could make a custom size elastic band to put around the mattresses, wherever they would make something like that.

So to summarize, do you think that I could recreate the king size bed experience with two separate beds, given that I put something in the middle to fill the crack and that I make sure the mattresses can't really move to the sides? Does anyone have any experience with this? The main reason I'm asking is because buying a new single person bed is cheaper than a new king size bed, but it is still expensive.

Thanks in advance

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, the crack with always be there but get a super padded mattress cover and it would lessen the feeling of that crack.

They shouldnt move to much unless you are practicing acrobatics on the bed.

First of all do you really need a kings size bed? i have one and find myself sleeping on the side of a twin bed (single bed) so...
    Its cool if you like to use it as a couch though or have company.

I do believe it will be noticeable but not enough to ruin it, had that experience twice and it was fine, but yes you can notice it a bit.

They have products to do this sort of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Doubler-Plush-...ef=pd_sbs_hg_2

Not saying this is a good one, or that I've ever used one, just giving you an example. The ones I've seen (like the above) are more than just something to fill the gap, but also something that binds them together so they don't spread apart.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    They have products to do this sort of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Doubler-Plush-...ef=pd_sbs_hg_2

Not saying this is a good one, or that I've ever used one, just giving you an example. The ones I've seen (like the above) are more than just something to fill the gap, but also something that binds them together so they don't spread apart.
    Yeah, thats what I meant with the pont d'amour, but I guess thats not very English.

On the subject of if I need a kingsize bed, I often sleep together with my girlfriend, and we've managed with the single bed for over a year now, but it is a bit too small. 140 cm would be ideal, or even 160 if I'm feeling rich. The problem is not being able to get rid of the 90 cm bed; if someone bought it I would never go for the king size indeed.

One question regarding the padded mattress cover: would that not slightly defeat the purpose of buying a 'good' mattress, if you are going to lie on a padded cover instead? I can be very wrong about this, so if I am, please do correct me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by docterdecay View Post
    Yeah, thats what I meant with the pont d'amour, but I guess thats not very English.

On the subject of if I need a kingsize bed, I often sleep together with my girlfriend, and we've managed with the single bed for over a year now, but it is a bit too small. 140 cm would be ideal, or even 160 if I'm feeling rich. The problem is not being able to get rid of the 90 cm bed; if someone bought it I would never go for the king size indeed.

One question regarding the padded mattress cover: would that not slightly defeat the purpose of buying a 'good' mattress, if you are going to lie on a padded cover instead? I can be very wrong about this, so if I am, please do correct me.
    You both fit in a single bed?? Can't imagine 2 fully grown adults fitting in a single bed

Sort of the same problem here that the OP is having. I recently moved into a larger room too. I currently have a queen size bed and am now considering getting a second queen size bed and putting them together. I am also worried that the crack between beds will cause too many problems. The problem for me is that I cannot find any company on earth that makes a mattress cover that will fit over two queen size beds. Anyone know of any other options? If I cant find a solution to this problem I will be forced to use only one bed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The North Remembers View Post
    You both fit in a single bed?? Can't imagine 2 fully grown adults fitting in a single bed
    You have to like each other a lot. But it's doable.

If you use the second bed to make a bunk bed instead you could have more room for activities

Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    . Anyone know of any other options? If I cant find a solution to this problem I will be forced to use only one bed.

2 queen is quite big i doubt you'll find retailers selling sheets for them. options include getting a local seamstress to make one or finding companies like
    http://www.bedderbedding.net/index.c.../category_ID/5 (note i have never used this company, and hve no clue the cost but sheets should last a long time, 10+ years)