Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Do you ever use the horn on your car?

    If you drive, and have ever been in traffic, you inevitably know that sometimes people do dumb things on the road. Having said that, sometimes its not dumb things, but maybe someone is just not moving when there is a green light, and they need that nice little horn honk "nudge" to get them moving.

    So.. have you ever honked at another driver before? If so, why did you honk at them?

    I have honked several times at people because of doing stupid things, but mostly they have been just sitting at a green light probably texting. I have had a few people flip me off too, which is hilarious.
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    3,068
    I've never honked, but I've leaned out of the window and shouted at the woman on the street who dropped her finished cigarette to the ground and stepped it into the pavement with her heel, while there was a trashcan 1 meter behind her.

  3. #3
    Herald of the Titans Ave07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,945
    Maybe once since the person in front of me was texting when the light was green. =/

  4. #4
    Mechagnome kleinlax21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Austin & Houston, Texas
    Posts
    612
    I usually just throw up my hands and make my best "What the fuck do you think you're doing?" face.

    I only use my horn if somebody's sitting at a green light or if they move to change lanes while I'm in the way & in their blind spot, etc. I usually only break out my horn if somebody either REALLY pisses me off, or if I need to immediately get a driver's attention for whatever semi-important reason.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I've never honked, but I've leaned out of the window and shouted at the woman on the street who dropped her finished cigarette to the ground and stepped it into the pavement with her heel, while there was a trashcan 1 meter behind her.
    Why would you yell at someone for that? What if the cigarette caught something in the trash can on fire? That probably wouldn't be too safe now would it?

    OT: It is pretty well known that the horn is the least used "feature" of a car that is used, yet it costs $800-$1500 USD to install the horn in a car. If people don't use the horn that often (or if they just dont want a horn in their car) why should the federal government require that a horn be installed in every car? If it wasnt a requirement of the federal government, it could be an option and save people approx 1k on their car purchases.

    Food for thought..
    Lewor responds to Barkloud regarding travel time, and we get this glorious quote:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    And where did these magical percentages come from? I didn't realise someone's ass also doubled as a calculator.
    World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
    See you in WoD!

  6. #6
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    26,083
    I don't often get very horny in my car, but it has been known to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  7. #7
    High Overlord Codyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Meet me at Adams Morgan
    Posts
    148
    Safety + sitting at a green light for at least three full seconds.

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Libram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Delta Quadrant
    Posts
    1,204
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinlax21 View Post
    I usually just throw up my hands and make my best "What the fuck do you think you're doing?" face.

    I only use my horn if somebody's sitting at a green light or if they move to change lanes while I'm in the way & in their blind spot, etc. I usually only break out my horn if somebody either REALLY pisses me off, or if I need to immediately get a driver's attention for whatever semi-important reason.
    I do the exact same.
    I make Trance, let me know what you think! SoundCloud YouTube


  9. #9
    Legendary! vindicatorx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    6,895
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    I've never honked, but I've leaned out of the window and shouted at the woman on the street who dropped her finished cigarette to the ground and stepped it into the pavement with her heel, while there was a trashcan 1 meter behind her.
    so setting the trashcan on fire is better? I have a few times usually when people aren't paying attention and backing up into me had this happen several times

  10. #10
    I only ever use the horn to beep to someone I happen to know, just to wave at them...

    I'm not like those angry arsebandits who beep furiously at the woman/learner driver who has just stalled the car at the lights and is struggling.

  11. #11
    Legendary! Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    6,234
    I use mine all the time, almost exclusive accompanied by the finger as well. Every time some stupid old person is doing 10 miles an hour under the speed limit, they get steady horn blast until they either speed up to the speed limit or pull over and let me pass. You sit at a green light for more than 3 seconds, its a constant blast till you get moving. You pull out in front of me close enough that I have to use my brakes? You get a 10 second blast with finger.

    If you tailgate me, then I slam on my brakes so you either get the hint or spin off the road trying to avoid hitting me. IF you pass me afterwards, you then get the finger

  12. #12
    Mechagnome kleinlax21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Austin & Houston, Texas
    Posts
    612
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I use mine all the time, almost exclusive accompanied by the finger as well. Every time some stupid old person is doing 10 miles an hour under the speed limit, they get steady horn blast until they either speed up to the speed limit or pull over and let me pass. You sit at a green light for more than 3 seconds, its a constant blast till you get moving. You pull out in front of me close enough that I have to use my brakes? You get a 10 second blast with finger.

    If you tailgate me, then I slam on my brakes so you either get the hint or spin off the road trying to avoid hitting me. IF you pass me afterwards, you then get the finger
    Can I do a ride-along with you for a day? You sound like you have a good time driving.
    Armories: Death Knight / Paladin
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Stop dating strippers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZRebellion View Post
    Kleinlax21 who is on your 'side' had no problem doing so.He also doesn't need to attack me in literally every sentence he types.

  13. #13
    Train horn, bitches

  14. #14
    High Overlord Codyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Meet me at Adams Morgan
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I use mine all the time, almost exclusive accompanied by the finger as well. Every time some stupid old person is doing 10 miles an hour under the speed limit, they get steady horn blast until they either speed up to the speed limit or pull over and let me pass. You sit at a green light for more than 3 seconds, its a constant blast till you get moving. You pull out in front of me close enough that I have to use my brakes? You get a 10 second blast with finger.

    If you tailgate me, then I slam on my brakes so you either get the hint or spin off the road trying to avoid hitting me. IF you pass me afterwards, you then get the finger
    Question is, have you played the emergency brake game? If you pull it the rear lights are not engaged so it really F's with the tailgating person behind you.

  15. #15
    Elemental Lord Masark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,983
    Quote Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
    If you pull it the rear lights are not engaged so it really F's with the tailgating person behind you.
    What do you drive? I have never owned or heard of a vehicle where the handbrake did not trigger the brake lights.

  16. #16
    We seem to have a lot of special drivers where I live so my horn gets used quite a bit. We have plenty of people who can't be bothered paying attention at the light so I honk. We have plenty of people dicking around going 10-15 under the speed limit on a one lane road or a pair side by side on a two lane....so I honk. We have plenty of people who don't know how to merge into traffic so they stop .....I honk. I have noticed more and more people running red lights and I have almost hit a few people....so I honk.

    Just this past week it was pouring down during my drive home and I nearly hit two people who decided to pull across my path. The first happened at a light and I was the first car. The turn lane light for the opposite direction turned yellow....cars tried to jam through it. Light turns red...another car guns it. I let off my brakes now that my light is green and I slightly hit my peddle enough so I pull past the car that ran the red light. A second car decides to gun it through an already red light and I slam on my brakes....I honk. A mile down the road I am going the speed limit of 40, a car decides to turn in front of me. I hit the brakes and barely miss the car....I honk.

    I almost want to get a cheap clunker and just forget to hit the brakes when people do shit that deserves them a good side swipe.
    FFXIV:ARR EXCALIBUR Drg (Dude where's my Wyvern?)
    Miriya Garisk 116 Pld/War Tank 113 Pld Dps 106 Drg
    Vamperica Garisk 109 Blm
    Retired from WoW

  17. #17
    High Overlord Codyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Meet me at Adams Morgan
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    What do you drive? I have never owned or heard of a vehicle where the handbrake did not trigger the brake lights.
    2003 V6 Accord Coupe Manual - Here I am with the car on and the emergency/parking brake engaged at work. I also called my Uncle who is a mechanic at a dealership, he says he has never heard of a car that did engage the brakes lights when the parking/emergency brake was pulled.

    Last edited by Codyak; 2013-01-17 at 04:58 PM.

  18. #18
    Fluffy Kitten Baiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    York, Blighty
    Posts
    5,134
    I sometimes use it as a farewell noise when I am driving away from someone I don't expect to see for a while. I also use it to make friends and family jump. The only time I've used the horn directed at strangers is when someone seems to be day-dreaming/not paying attention when the traffic lights turn green and, I suppose, when someone has been particularly asshole-ish/dangerous, like nearly hitting me in motion.

  19. #19
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    4,964
    When someone sleeps at a green light
    When someone does something stupid while I am in their blind spot
    When I see someone who I know good enough to be worth the effort of greeting him
    In shitty situations on the autobahn; for example when I drive at high speeds and a slow driver indicates a lane change. Only a short honk to make sure he notices me.

    Other than that I do not honk at all. Inner city situations happen so fast that you can only honk after you corrected your own, or someone's else mistake and after that it really makes no sense to honk... everything's over already, you can just keep on driving and forget about it.

  20. #20
    I use the horn on my car to communicate with other drivers to protect my safety and theirs. I have used it in the past most often to alert someone who is making a lane change that I am in his blind spot and he or she hasn't checked. This has saved me from being involved in a collision on a couple occasions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •