Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I probably use my horn too much.
    For example, when someone is changing lanes and my car is in their way, making them almost run me off the road.
    Or when someone runs a red light, and my car once again is in their way because I had a green light.
    It's not that often, but perhaps once a month I'd say. Some people eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Why would you yell at someone for that? What if the cigarette caught something in the trash can on fire? That probably wouldn't be too safe now would it?

OT: It is pretty well known that the horn is the least used "feature" of a car that is used, yet it costs $800-$1500 USD to install the horn in a car. If people don't use the horn that often (or if they just dont want a horn in their car) why should the federal government require that a horn be installed in every car? If it wasnt a requirement of the federal government, it could be an option and save people approx 1k on their car purchases.

Food for thought..
    Where are you getting these numbers from, thin air.....I work in an auto spare parts store and we sell both 12v and 24v horns for under $20. And if for some reason you cant install it or dont have any friends to install it, I cant imagine an auto electrician would charge more than $100 tops...

EDIT: I use my horn when ever I see someone I know to say hi, or to move the dickhead in front of me thats just sitting there, or not paying attention. If Im on my motorcycle, I just go around them, never use my horn on that.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post
    I dont hit mirrors.

I have however had 2 vans drive into me when I was stationary, one decide to do a right turn on me at cross roads when my light was green (his was red!) and cause me to have to ditch it, and numerous times of people on car parks, stopping, and then reversing right at me....

I'm 6'1", clad in CE protected leathers, usually wearing a H belt or other reflective/luminous clothing, my bike is big and continually has the head light on.......if drivers cant see me, they really shoudl not be allowed behind the wheel.
    That is pretty nuts, I've heard about motorist treachery when it comes to motorcyclists. I always do double-takes before I do anything pretty much, so I've never been in an accident that was my fault.

Well, once 11 years ago I slid 30 feet in heavy rain into someone's bumper, but I chalk that up to inexperience (I was 18).

Deleted
    In the 6 months I've been driving I don't think I've ever used it (apart from leaning on it once when I was typing the code to get into the car park (not sure how I managed to do it tbh)).

It's fascinating the way people drive in that I think you can learn a little about how people behave in their everyday lives; based on their driving. Myself personally I rarely use my horn although I have used it occasionally; at a green light I might very lightly tap it to get the person texting/not paying attention to move. Once the person even gave me the "thank you" wave after about 10 seconds of waiting at a green light, perhaps they were tired?(yes we all know that motion, don't pretend you haven't had the; You go, NO, you go, NO NO you go debacle happen at a stop sign before?

Another fascinating thing about driving is if you take a similar route all the time whether it be for work or whatever you get to see all the creative things people do that they aren't supposed to do, and since you've driven this route so many times you get excited when you see someone do something new and even dumber than the last guy you saw a few days before.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This thread makes me laugh so badly.

Don't take me wrong but I live in Spain. Cars horn is our true national hymn!

Deleted
    Sometimes, when person in front of me is asleep on green light and nothing is preventing him from driving.

Otherwise no. And I hate when someone uses horn behind me when he can clearly see that I'm not the one blocking traffic or can't move for some other reason. First time someone did that to me many years ago when I just started driving, I was trying to turn left, but I couldn't see if there is incoming traffic because large truck (it was trying to turn to its left) was blocking view. So I freaked out, pushed gas pedal and almost got hit by another truck going at 70-90 km/h that appeared from behind that truck that was blocking view.

After that incident I just ignore any horns. No, I'm not driving slowly, nor do I wait several seconds after green light appeared - I'm almost always speeding (or driving at speed limit if there are any cameras/cops nearby) and driving on yellow light (unless its not safe), so there is never a valid reason for anyone behind me to use horn.

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    This thread makes me laugh so badly.

Don't take me wrong but I live in Spain. Cars horn is our true national hymn!
    I remember listening to a news report about how America is unique in that it is not a "Car Horn Nation". That is, in many other nations, the car horn is as often used as a turn signal, that it is routine to use your horn for anything and everything. But in America the opposite is true.

Just a news report I was barely paying attention to, so take it with a grain of salt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    You seem to be confused about a great many things.

Speed limits are just that, a limit. Unless otherwise posted there is no reason people need to drive at exactly that speed.

Using your horn excessively, or without cause is illegal, next to speeding its probably the least enforced law in the country, but it is illegal nonetheless.

Slamming on your brakes without cause is illegal. It isn't your job to enforce tailgating laws, that's the cops job, if you cause a wreck, it will be your fault. You will get the ticket, the insurance hit and be responsible for any damage you cause.

The way you are describing yourself driving is aggressive and angry, in some places even THAT is illegal. Flipping the bird? There are plenty of road rage laws on the books that will earn you a ticket for doing that.

Drive like a dick the way your describing in front of a cop? Your just asking to earn yourself a reckless driving ticket which carries major penalties.

You might live in one of those places where everybody drives crazy ( LA, NY, Chicago, Philly and so on ) but then, if you actually did all the shit your claiming you do, its amazing another rager hasn't shot you yet.

Why don't you try just chilling the fuck out for once. Listen to the radio or something. Maybe leave on time so you don't have to drive like a psychopath to get where you are going?

Its kind ironic if you read these posts, you people are mad at each other. You are the people making each other mad.

Youre right about the speed limit, however its rude and dickish to NOT drive the speed limit unless there are poor roads conditions due to snow or if youre towing a heavy item that forbids you from doing so. There is no excuse for someone simply driving a car on a normal road to NOT do the speed limit.

Using your horn to let someone know they are driving like an ass isnt using it superfluously. Its teaching people how to not drive like an ass. Its educational

If I slam on my brakes and a tailgater hits me it will absolutely NOT be written down as my fault as in my state and most of the states all rear end collisions are automatically the person hitting the rear end's fault due to the fact that they shouldnt be driving too closely to stop if the car in front of them has to stop or brake suddenly. http://www.munsing.com/Car-Accidents...llisions.shtml

Flipping the bird is NOT illegal as it is considered freedom of speech and has been decided by the courts many times.

And I DO leave early enough to get to work on time but Im not going to leave an half hour earlier than needed ( I shoot for 15 minutes early) just in case I get behind an asshole, then have 45 minutes at work without pay doing nothing. Thats MY time wasted that I could use for something better like sleeping later.

Also I pull into the intersection when my light turns green and blast my horn at the assholes that are still making left turns because they are too impatient to wait for 3 or 4 light cycles to make their turn (in intersections where there is no left turn arrow) Some day I wish cops would give all those assholes tickets. If youre at a light without a green arrow you are NOT supposed to creep out and block the intersection waiting till the light turns red to make a left turn and its even worse when 4 or 5 people do it. Youre legally not allowed to cross the white line until you can safely and completely make your turn. If you cant, then you wait till the next light cycle or 4 cycles if need be.
    Last edited by Orlong; 2013-01-19 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Youre right about the speed limit, however its rude and dickish to NOT drive the speed limit unless there are poor roads conditions due to snow or if youre towing a heavy item that forbids you from doing so. There is no excuse for someone simply driving a car on a normal road to NOT do the speed limit.
    Yeah, going 35 MPH in a 45 MPH zone? All bad, homie. Go faster.

Plus, if you're in the "Fast Lane", don't go the speed limit, that's what the other, slower lanes are for. Go 5-10 MPH faster, or even faster than that! It's called the "Fast Lane", not the "Fast as Permissable by Law Lane".

I rarely ever honk the horn. It's funny when I do... because I always say "oh... that's what it sounds like? That's weak!".

Only time I do it is to give a tap if the person at the red light is sleeping when it turns red. (has to be at least 10-15 seconds before I tap the horn).

Any time I might want to hit the horn when annoyed at somebody - I instead physically tap my steering wheel and say the words "Honk! Honk!" to myself. Just makes me feel better. ^_^

I think I've honked like once in my life, because it was a green light and they weren't moving after a good 5 or 6 seconds. Mostly, though, I would intend to use it in emergency situations where someone was going to hit me/someone near me but that hasn't happened yet, as I was rear-ended in the one accident I've been involved in. I never use it in frustration, nor should anyone....the last thing I want to do is piss off the wrong person and be a victim to road rage, or, you know, just get shot in the face by some gangsta who is on seven different drugs and doesn't give a fuck.

That being said, I hate people that beep it when they see someone they know or something of the sort...a friend of my mother's who I don't much like to begin with beeps the fuck out of her horn when she drives by my parents house once a week (at like 9 at night mind you) and I've always wanted to set up a spike strip when she goes by.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2013-01-19 at 12:38 AM.

I honk when people cut me off and don't accelerate. I honk if I am directly behind someone on a one lane road, or if it's a two lane road and they are beside someone roughly the same speed, going 10 or more below the spend limit, the finger is also given if it is 15+. This is the majority of instances of honking. It's not frequent, maybe once or twice a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    Train horn, bitches
    No one expects it from a small bug...*cackle*

I use mine all the time, almost exclusive accompanied by the finger as well. Every time some stupid old person is doing 10 miles an hour under the speed limit, they get steady horn blast until they either speed up to the speed limit or pull over and let me pass. You sit at a green light for more than 3 seconds, its a constant blast till you get moving. You pull out in front of me close enough that I have to use my brakes? You get a 10 second blast with finger.

If you tailgate me, then I slam on my brakes so you either get the hint or spin off the road trying to avoid hitting me. IF you pass me afterwards, you then get the finger
    I like to use my traffic finger as well, but down here in FL people get shot because of it. Does it stop me? No, but I really do limit its use :P

I don't understand why going, say, 35 in a 45 zone is such a buzz kill. If you are simply going a few miles the difference in time it takes in a perfect, vacuum like world (no traffic, or stop signs/lights) is negligible. 35 vs 45 over a distance of 10 miles is something around 4 minutes difference. That is not something i am going to get in a tizzy over. And that, again, is with perfect traffic conditions. a flat out non stop 10 miles. In the real world you will seldom average the speed limit, and run the very real possibility of losing that four minutes anyway.

Now I will typically go 45 in a 45 or even 50, but i sure am not going to get worked up over someone who doesn't go the full posted speed limit.

I will also tend to drive under the posted speed on highways. primarily for fuel efficiency. Around 65 is a sweet spot for me and i burn significantly less fuel at that speed vs going a full 70. Granted if I am on a long trip, an extra 5 or 10 knots makes a significant difference. 65 vs 75 over 200 miles is close to 30 minutes.

EDIT: Of course a 4 minute difference in commute, both ways, 250 work days a year. 33.3 hours. That's a day and 9 hours. Christ, that's 55.5 days at retirement.

Fuck it...people need to drive faster.
    Last edited by poser765; 2013-01-19 at 04:57 AM. Reason: fun with calculators.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't do it often unless its just ridiculous. I'm in a neighborhood with a lot of bad drivers, people whom believe they have the right of way regardless of the traffic rules. Over the course of years that I've been driving, I noticed I have been honking more, not as a way to be an ass, but as a way to alert other drivers. There are a lot of bad drivers on the road, the horn is a useful tool, don't be hesitant to use it in the right circumstances. Now one thing I do hate about driving in NYC is the fact that some people feel the need to honk the millisecond the light turns green, that's just dumb and every time someone does that to me, I just roll slowly. :x.

Not often. We have a ton of bad drivers where I live. There's a 4-way stop here at a pretty congested area that's particularly bad. People will run the stop sign, go when it's clearly your turn, and so on. I think I use my horn at that 4-way stop more than anywhere else. I've almost been nailed there a few times.

I only use it when it's reasonable though. I don't get behind slow-ass drivers and lean on it or anything like that (though we do have a lot of those here too).

Quote Originally Posted by Ciddy View Post
    Not often. We have a ton of bad drivers where I live. There's a 4-way stop here at a pretty congested area that's particularly bad. People will run the stop sign, go when it's clearly your turn, and so on.
    I had an experience at a 4 way stop the other day where this guy was clearly at the stop before I was, I'm talking 6 seconds before. He wouldn't go, so I started to go 20 seconds of waiting later. A few feet in, he starts going. Like, seriously dude?

Four way stops are where you truly find out who the shitty drivers are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I had an experience at a 4 way stop the other day where this guy was clearly at the stop before I was, I'm talking 6 seconds before. He wouldn't go, so I started to go 20 seconds of waiting later. A few feet in, he starts going. Like, seriously dude?

Four way stops are where you truly find out who the shitty drivers are.
    Yeah. The other thing you see really often here is people who drive like 5 feet out past the stop sign THEN stop (with the rear wheels sitting right over the white line). That really just throws everything all off because you technically ran the stop sign first and stopped immediately after, so the guy behind you really has the right of way now, but if he tries to go it won't look like it's really his turn. I hate it when people do that.

This one 4-way stop I mentioned is REALLY bad. I almost wish they could just put a traffic light there or something.