Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    So i started playing this game yesterday and i must say its fairly interesting. Tried out 3 weapons so far, the standard 1h + shield, the katana, and dualwield. So far i prefer dualwield, the katana was just too slow in my opinion. I havent gotten too far yet, so i dont really know about most things (i killed that underwater creature in area 11, is all).
    Bit confused on day cycles, is it once you sleep? And without having to test them, are there any fast but longer range weapons? The katana sure had long range, but it was incredibly painful to use vs small creatures, and when getting up close with dualwield i find that i miss a lot of attacks because the creatures get pushed to the side, but that might just be a silly thing on my part. I guess i just need to keep playing and i'll see.
    And i guess i also havent met any serious creatures yet :P

Going to wait on Monster Hunter 5 or whenever they decide to start making PC ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenhou View Post
    So i started playing this game yesterday and i must say its fairly interesting. Tried out 3 weapons so far, the standard 1h + shield, the katana, and dualwield. So far i prefer dualwield, the katana was just too slow in my opinion. I havent gotten too far yet, so i dont really know about most things (i killed that underwater creature in area 11, is all).
    Bit confused on day cycles, is it once you sleep? And without having to test them, are there any fast but longer range weapons? The katana sure had long range, but it was incredibly painful to use vs small creatures, and when getting up close with dualwield i find that i miss a lot of attacks because the creatures get pushed to the side, but that might just be a silly thing on my part. I guess i just need to keep playing and i'll see.
    And i guess i also havent met any serious creatures yet :P
    Big weapons = slower. That's just kind of how it is. You can use the faster, smaller weapons, but they're not going to do as much damage or have the range that the bigger weapons have. Everything has pros and cons that way. Compared to the greatsword or the greathammer though, the longsword actually is one of the faster big weapons. It's what I've been using.

Here's a nice little chart to help you with weapons some more, if you'd like!

I really didn't like the controls (thank god I tried demo first). The character movement just seemed slow and unresponsive and no not because he's got a big weapon and the game doesn't ignore physics. The camera was a big turn off and the whole thing felt meh.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    I really didn't like the controls (thank god I tried demo first). The character movement just seemed slow and unresponsive and no not because he's got a big weapon and the game doesn't ignore physics. The camera was a big turn off and the whole thing felt meh.
    Fair enough. A lot of people don't like the camera and just can't get used to it. I just happened to get used to it very fast. Question though, if you were on the 3DS were you using the L-button to control the camera mostly or were you using the control pad for it? Because the control pad is bloody awful for controlling the camera compared to just using the L-button a lot. If you were on the Wii-U, then ignore me. :P I don't know what the control scheme for that is like at all.

Deleted
    Thanks for the chart, gave me a nice breakdown on the items. Think i'll try around some more of them, the lance and perhaps bow/bowguns seem interesting to try out. I guess i might have to give the longsword another go aswell, and try out the greatsword. The rest dont seem too interesting :P

I got used to the camera very fast aswell, well after i had inverted both x and y.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Fair enough. A lot of people don't like the camera and just can't get used to it. I just happened to get used to it very fast. Question though, if you were on the 3DS were you using the L-button to control the camera mostly or were you using the control pad for it? Because the control pad is bloody awful for controlling the camera compared to just using the L-button a lot. If you were on the Wii-U, then ignore me. :P I don't know what the control scheme for that is like at all.
    You use the L button to turn the camera. I'm use to turning the camera to whatever direction your facing (you did that for kindom hearts) but it's slow and doesn't turn the camera the right way most of the time (stops half way where you are suppose to be facing)

Very unfinished imo.

the camera will default to behind the hunter if you press L. when you have lock on, one press will lock on to the monster, 2 presses will put it behind the hunter. it wont follow you, whenever you press the L, thats where it will be. so if you press L, than move, its going to go to where your back was.

The chart is nice, though a little misleading on the SnS and DS and GL.
    The SnS while having low overall damage, pumps out damage like nothing else EXCEPT the DS. my fastest kill was with the SnS on the demo, like 2:30 or something.
    It also makes it ideal for status effect like para and slime. I would use a para SnS on Akantor with 3 others and he would spend 2/3 of the fight para'd.
    DS is the same. low damage per hit, but it pumps out damage like a mad man. Also it is hard to get hit. get your demon gauge filled up or get some mega juice and your slipping and sliding all over the place. i woul never get hit when i fought double Jinouga in p3rd. i would slide through everything. especially with evade +2. no reason to ever get hit with a DS.
    GL shells do not do a fixed amount. it depends a lot on the shell type and the shell level. the different types give damage multipliers to the different shelling attacks. Wyvern fire, burst attack, and regular shelling are all manipulated by the shell type and level.

i think its Normal shells give 5 shots and have the strongest burst fire.
    Long shells have 3 shots and strongest wyvern fire.
    Spread shells have 2 shots and the strongest charged shot, but also has the weakest burst shot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JBNagis View Post
    GL shells do not do a fixed amount. it depends a lot on the shell type and the shell level. the different types give damage multipliers to the different shelling attacks. Wyvern fire, burst attack, and regular shelling are all manipulated by the shell type and level.

i think its Normal shells give 5 shots and have the strongest burst fire.
    Long shells have 3 shots and strongest wyvern fire.
    Spread shells have 2 shots and the strongest charged shot, but also has the weakest burst shot.
    By 'fixed amount' it means that it will always deal X damage (where X is the value of the shot type and level) no matter where you hit the wyvern, or the wyverns defense; gunlance shells are unmitigated damage. I.E. if you hit Lagombi with a Wide lvl 3 shot, it will do 40 damage, and if you hit a Brachydios with the same Wide Lvl 3 shot, it will also deal 40 damage.

You are correct that each shot type has special effects and modifiers, but the damage that is dealt can't be mitigated by the wyvern, hence the 'fixed amount'.

EDIT: Actually, I forgot about something in regards to the damage. Gunlance shells are considered fire damage, but aren't affected by elemental resistances UNLESS the target is weak to fire damage. In that case the shot would deal a small amount of extra damage.

Now, Shelling, at difference of normal attacks, have fixed damage
    and ignore the hitzone defense, so no matter where it hits,
    it will always do the same amount of damage.

Though, if the monster has fire weakness, it will do a bit more
    damage varying on the hitzone fire weakness.
    Type / Level Neutral Fire

Normal 1 10 4
    Normal 2 14 5
    Normal 3 18 6
    Normal 4 21 7

Long 1 15 9
    Long 2 21 11
    Long 3 28 14
    Long 4 32 16

Spread 1 20 6
    Spread 2 30 8
    Spread 3 40 10
    Spread 4 44 11

Wyvern Fire
    Level Neutral Fire
    1 30X4 10X4
    2 35X4 11X4
    3 40X4 12X4
    4 45X4 13X4
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/991479-m...3rd/faqs/63743
    Last edited by WhereAmI; 2013-04-07 at 10:01 PM.

ah okay, i see what you meant by that. its not affected by wyvern def and any damage is determined by shot type and attack itself. I think the fire damage is something that is forgotten by most GLancers.
    What is your weapon of choice btw. mh it was hbg and hammer. mhf1,2,U it was hammer, ds. p3rd it was hammer,ds, switch axe. Now its GL,hammer,switch ax. im having more fun with mh3u more than i did p3rd.

10+ Year Old Account
    ah okay, i see what you meant by that. its not affected by wyvern def and any damage is determined by shot type and attack itself. I think the fire damage is something that is forgotten by most GLancers.
    What is your weapon of choice btw. mh it was hbg and hammer. mhf1,2,U it was hammer, ds. p3rd it was hammer,ds, switch axe. Now its GL,hammer,switch ax. im having more fun with mh3u more than i did p3rd.
    MH - Lance, Great Sword
    MHF1 - Lance, Sword and Shield
    MHF2 - Hammer, Bow, Gunlance
    MHFU - Hammer, Gunlance, Hunting Horn
    MHTri - Hammer, Bow Guns, Switch Axe
    MHP3 - Gunlance, Dual Swords, Switch Axe
    MH3U - Gunlance, Hunting Horn, Dual Swords

Those were just my go-to weapons during those titles, but I loved using all the different weapon types. The hammer became one of my favorite weapons because it was awesome getting up in a wyvern's face and KO it, and I loved the concept of the gunlance and the wyvern fire is just too awesome. With the moveset changes in P3rd the gunlance overtook the top spot held by the hammer for me though.

I've been enjoying MH3U quite a bit so far, but I kind of miss the village, felynes, and farm system from P3rd :P

i realy miss my felynes. being able to outfit your felyne with gear so that they not only look awesome but would bomb or boomerang the heck out of a monster. and teh farm was so good for getting raw or welldone steaks for juices. cooking 10 at onces beats the hell out of that stupid double bbq spit.

i realy miss my felynes. being able to outfit your felyne with gear so that they not only look awesome but would bomb or boomerang the heck out of a monster. and teh farm was so good for getting raw or welldone steaks for juices. cooking 10 at onces beats the hell out of that stupid double bbq spit.
    The double BBQ spit is the bane of my existence haha. I seriously cannot focus at all when two steaks are brought into the equation. As far as I know though, Felynes are coming back in MH4, so that's good!

good, i cant stand teh stupid shakalakas. i got the false felyne mask so that makes up for it. all the bastard does is bomb bomb bomb. LARGE BOMB. BUT if it hits you, you take no damage, even from teh large bomb. so thats a plus. Hopefully we get mh4. i think mh3u made the top 5 and is selling out in various areas. one can hope

Deleted
    Been playing a bit now and then. Had serious problems with things taking more time so i tried out the Greatsword again. Dont think i'll ever stop using it now. It goes perfectly with dodging and hitting. And that companion is godsent, being the center of attention to the big monsters, giving me some room to take a potion/eat/sharpen if its dire.
    Yeah, wouldnt say ive gotten that far. Chased off the lagiacrus, is all.

Bit of a shame that the bow is so weak, i really liked it. But its frankly not okay when i reach the 50 min time limit by using it >.<

you just need practice with it and a better bow. iv killed just about every big high rank monster in p3rd with the bow, and i breezed through g rank in mhfunite with it. the bow was my weapon of choice for Fatalis. black red and white.and that was before the arrow rain. honestly, get the proper element to the monster you are fighting, and make it rain baby. ive flinched locked rathalos in high rank with a good water bow and arrow rain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing a bit now and then. Had serious problems with things taking more time so i tried out the Greatsword again. Dont think i'll ever stop using it now. It goes perfectly with dodging and hitting. And that companion is godsent, being the center of attention to the big monsters, giving me some room to take a potion/eat/sharpen if its dire.
    Yeah, wouldnt say ive gotten that far. Chased off the lagiacrus, is all.

Bit of a shame that the bow is so weak, i really liked it. But its frankly not okay when i reach the 50 min time limit by using it >.<
    Some general tips with the bow:

- Make sure you charge it all the way up. A little light flashes on your character when it charges up kind of like the great sword, so make sure you're always going for the third (or fourth if you've got the armor skill) charge because it deals 1.5x your bows damage. The first two charges only do 40% of your bows damage.

- Coatings are your friend. Check what coatings you can use and bring a full of stack of them. Most bows should be able to use at least power coating which, IIRC, increases shot damage by 25%, and a bow can usually use another type of coating like poison or paralyze. If your bow can use paralyze or sleep coatings, think about bringing 2 large bombs and 1 small bomb for some huge, quick damage when it's paralyzed or sleeping (sleeping wyverns take 3x the damage from the first hit, so make sure you don't put the small bomb too close). A good way to stack up status effect damage is by using the bows 'arrow rain', which is done when you charge the bow to level three, and press X+A (there will be a AoE targeting circle once the bow charges up to three and you hold R).

- Bows can have elements like melee weapons, so if you continue to use bows, try to build a couple different bows with different elements. A decent bow with a wyvern's elemental weakness, power coatings, and spammed level 3 charged shots will be able to take down a wyvern just as fast as most melee weapons.

- This is a bit harder to consistently do and keep track of, but bows have a weird damage curve that's based on the distance between you and the wyvern. To maximize the damage you deal, you want to land your shots at the top of the arc that shows up when you press R while charging a shot. If a mob is too close you won't deal as much damage (unless you're using close range coating), and if a mob is too far it of course deals less damage.

I think the biggest thing is just make sure you're charging the bow up all the way, especially when you have your power coatings equipped. It deals a lot more damage than just taking quick pot shots and doesn't use that much stamina at all. I'd also recommend bringing extra supplies to create more power coatings (nitroshroom + empty bottle), plus stuff like flash bombs (bomb casing + flashbug), bombs (small barrel + fire herb, and large barrel + gunpowder), and traps (trap tool + net, and trap tool + thunderbug), which all are extremely useful at getting lots of extra damage in. Also, bring steaks so you can always keep your stamina close to max.
    Last edited by WhereAmI; 2013-04-08 at 05:43 PM.

Also, the arrow rain can cause k.o. status. but the focus and the Blast have a higher chance becaus they are more concentrated. Its really easy to k.o. a monster with blast. especially the annoying ones like Gigginox and the Raths.And, im not sure if this was in tri or p3rd, but it seems that some bows have stronger status effects. so the rathian bow will have higher poison power compared to others.

Deleted
    Thanks for the neat tips with using the bow. Had no idea you did more damage at certain ranges, thought it was just about what area of the monster you hit. And i guess this means you can use more than one coating at a time? Atleast it sounded like it when you described it. Always did charge it up to full though, since my current bow has spread on everything apart from last which is pierce, which sounded a lot more badass than the former. *rollseyes*
    Will try it out again later. I guess one of my faults was not using the silly companion at first so the monsters were always close range. Havent played since i last posted, but the next creature to beat is the Rathian. Never paid much attention to my weapon elements so far though. Only the armor. I lack a lot of materials to make different weapons, and im generally unsure what to go for, thus i go for the highest damage for the weapon type i picked. Will have to look up the whole elemental damage deal.
    As a sidenote, those damn creatures wont drop the large monster bones i want! Barroth dropped it once, and then never more. Is it some certain part of the body i need to hit or is it purely random?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the neat tips with using the bow. Had no idea you did more damage at certain ranges, thought it was just about what area of the monster you hit.
    That's kind of why ranged weapons are considered a bit rougher to get into because they have so many nuances. If you keep practicing with the bow you'll be able to judge your distance without needing to bring up the aim (allowing you to remain more mobile and get good spread/normal shots in), and aiming in general will become automatic.

And i guess this means you can use more than one coating at a time? Atleast it sounded like it when you described it.
    Hmm, you can only have one coating equipped at a time, but you can carry different coatings with you to equip. Rangers get an extra inventory page just for storing ammo/coatings.

Always did charge it up to full though, since my current bow has spread on everything apart from last which is pierce, which sounded a lot more badass than the former. *rollseyes*
    Pierce is excellent if you know how to use it . Pierce shots obviously travel through wyverns, and the extra hits after the initial one deal more damage, so you want to try and line up your shots to where you can get the most extra hits. eg. through the wings or head through the tail. On some wyverns pierce isn't very useful due to the lack of size (Jaggi, Arzuros, Lagombi, etc.), so using a bow with spread or rapid shot would be more preferred.

Will try it out again later. I guess one of my faults was not using the silly companion at first so the monsters were always close range. Havent played since i last posted, but the next creature to beat is the Rathian. Never paid much attention to my weapon elements so far though. Only the armor. I lack a lot of materials to make different weapons, and im generally unsure what to go for, thus i go for the highest damage for the weapon type i picked. Will have to look up the whole elemental damage deal.
    Ah, Rathian... she was always one of my favorites to fight. Focusing on raw damage is generally what you want to do if you lack/don't feel like farming the materials to make elemental weapons. Rathian is weak to pretty much everything but fire, however lightning and dragon will do the most damage. There aren't very many good early game dragon weapons (there's a pair of dual swords, but they have piss poor sharpness), so try building something with lightning/water/ice if possible

As a sidenote, those damn creatures wont drop the large monster bones i want! Barroth dropped it once, and then never more. Is it some certain part of the body i need to hit or is it purely random?
    Unfortunately it's purely random :/ . Luckily though you're just about to the point where you'll start getting a lot of them in the mission rewards. Wyverns in the 5* village quests like Rathian, Lagia, Nibelsnarf, Duramboros, etc., have a high chance of dropping them in the mission rewards.