View Poll Results: Are you happy that Ghostcrawler is leaving?

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am happy he is leaving.

    39 20.63%
  • No, I am sad he is leaving.

    106 56.08%
  • I am indifferent towards his leaving.

    44 23.28%
Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767

    Exclamation Who else is happy that Ghostcrawler is leaving?

    Honestly, I do not hate the guy. I do not know him, so it would be ignorant for me to say that I hate someone without ever meeting him. For all I know I may actually like him on a personal level, and I actually wish him well in his future endeavors.

    However, this does not mean that I share his vision of game design at all. I am happy that he is leaving wow because I do not share his (or his design team) vision of wow. And judging from the sharp subscription drop over the past year, I am not alone in my convictions.

    Anyways, either side that you are on post what you think.

  2. #2
    You can't just attribute sub loss to whatever problem fits your argument. That's not how the world works. And Greg's opinions were NOT his own. He couldn't just do whatever he wanted to. Especially as a public face. His opinions were Blizzard's opinions. Stop being so naive.

    We won't be getting near as much information on what Blizzard's doing now that GhostCrawler is gone. That will be the only change.

  3. #3
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Whales96 View Post
    You can't just attribute sub loss to whatever problem fits your argument. That's not how the world works. And Greg's opinions were NOT his own. He couldn't just do whatever he wanted to. Especially as a public face. His opinions were Blizzard's opinions. Stop being so naive.
    Read my post I acknowledge that decisions are not made by him alone. And regardless for whatever reason subscriptions have dropped the responsibility must rest on someones shoulders, and I am placing it on Ghostcrawler, his design team, and their vision of wow.

    Wow subs have fallen greatly since they have had power, so now they should accept responsibility.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Read my post I acknowledge that decisions are not made by him alone. And regardless for whatever reason subscriptions have dropped the responsibility must rest on someones shoulders, and I am placing it on Ghostcrawler, his design team, and their vision of wow.
    I did read your post, but it's hypocritical to acknowledge that his decisions aren't his, and then still blame "his" design team and "their" vision of wow when their vision of wow was Blizzard's vision of wow. It's ridiculous and fairly simple minded to assume that the entire sub loss can be attributed to one cause.

  5. #5
    He definitely didn't help the game. The direction of WoW went completely sideways after WotlK

  6. #6
    anyone happy he is leaving clearly doesnt realize what his job really was. since most people that hate the guy seem to think any change made to the game was his word over all, this is clearly the case. he was only the guy who talked to the community about the changes. he was essentially a lightning rod. if anyone should be mad at anyone, its the dev team.

    sure you can dislike someone, but dont blame him for everything that ever happened while he was at blizzard. he was only 1 voice. im sure he had a lot of sway, but he wasnt some dictator.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    He definitely didn't help the game. The direction of WoW went completely sideways after WotlK
    too bad hes been at blizzard since BC. and im pretty sure that everything in wrath up to ToC was still under Tigole. dont quote me on that though.
    "The Horde has committed heinous crimes, Vol'jin. But some among you fought against Garrosh's tyranny. For that, I'm willing to end this bloodshed. But know this : if your Horde fails to uphold honor as Garrosh did, we will end you." - High King Varian Wrynn


  7. #7
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Whales96 View Post
    I did read your post, but it's hypocritical to acknowledge that his decisions aren't his, and then still blame "his" design team and "their" vision of wow when their vision of wow was Blizzard's vision of wow. It's ridiculous and fairly simple minded to assume that the entire sub loss can be attributed to one cause.
    At the end of the day his title is "lead systems designer" and if he did not want to be blamed for stuff, then he shouldn't have taken the position plain and simple.

  8. #8
    You seem to be forgetting that WoW is a 9 year old game, people lose interest, so blaming one person or team for the sub loss is pretty stupid.

  9. #9
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    anyone happy he is leaving clearly doesnt realize what his job really was. since most people that hate the guy seem to think any change made to the game was his word over all, this is clearly the case. he was only the guy who talked to the community about the changes. he was essentially a lightning rod. if anyone should be mad at anyone, its the dev team.

    sure you can dislike someone, but dont blame him for everything that ever happened while he was at blizzard. he was only 1 voice. im sure he had a lot of sway, but he wasnt some dictator.

    - - - Updated - - -



    too bad hes been at blizzard since BC. and im pretty sure that everything in wrath up to ToC was still under Tigole. dont quote me on that though.
    Again he was the boss. No, he did not design the game through his outlook alone. But being the boss he did set the tone for what developers below him should think about. So the game really is part of his vision for wow.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    At the end of the day his title is "lead systems designer" and if he did not want to be blamed for stuff, then he shouldn't have taken the position plain and simple.
    Do you even know what the position means? Lead Systems designer isn't synonymous with dictator. You seem confused more than anything. Your entire opinion on Ghostcrawler is from assumptions you make about his job, which, so far, have all been wrong.

  11. #11
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahij View Post
    You seem to be forgetting that WoW is a 9 year old game, people lose interest, so blaming one person or team for the sub loss is pretty stupid.
    9 is just a number. I don't fundamentally believe that just because a game gets old that it dies. I believe good game design can keep a game a game going nearly indefinitely. League of legends is proof of that. It has far outdated graphics, yet remains extremely popular mainly because of good game design.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Whales96 View Post
    Do you even know what the position means? Lead Systems designer isn't synonymous with dictator. You seem confused more than anything. Your entire opinion on Ghostcrawler is from assumptions you make about his job, which, so far, have all been wrong.
    Yes, and all your assumptions about his job are totally correct. You stick to your assumptions and I will stick to mine.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Again he was the boss. No, he did not design the game through his outlook alone. But being the boss he did set the tone for what developers below him should think about. So the game really is part of his vision for wow.
    no, he wasnt the boss. tom chilton was the boss. he was more like VP. tom chilton is the lead game designer. greg was only lead systems.
    "The Horde has committed heinous crimes, Vol'jin. But some among you fought against Garrosh's tyranny. For that, I'm willing to end this bloodshed. But know this : if your Horde fails to uphold honor as Garrosh did, we will end you." - High King Varian Wrynn


  13. #13
    Indifferent really. On one hand its sad blizz loses a great long time employee, on the other hand he gets to pursue what he wants so im happy.

    But really, i couldn't give a shit if he worked there or not. Literally the only difference him being there or not in terms of actually effecting me, will be whether or not i like the new developers voice at blizzcon or not. Other than that, GC was just part of a much larger team. Like 1 general in an entire army, or one uncle in an entire family chain.

  14. #14
    Pandaren Monk NuLogic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    1,754
    It's pointless arguing with the ignorant. GC talked a lot on twitter and he became public enemy number one. People get bored of this game and leave then comeback or play a different game. That's it.

  15. #15
    Over 9000! MerinPally's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Chemistry block.
    Posts
    9,196
    Do you really think that only 1 man decided how things changed on a multi billion dollar game? And even then, do you think it was just the way the game changed that caused subs to go down? Honestly? I hope not because otherwise that's some very shaky logic.

  16. #16
    Brewmaster MrKnubbles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,430
    He's simply the voice of his team. You should say you don't agree with the direction of the team but you probably only disagree because you don't understand how game design works.

    Nothing can hold me back!

  17. #17
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Littleraven View Post
    no, he wasnt the boss. tom chilton was the boss. he was more like VP. tom chilton is the lead game designer. greg was only lead systems.
    There is always a higher boss. Ghostcrawler chose to be a public face of the company and while that comes with it's rewards it also comes with all of its downfalls, so I do not feel any remorse for him.

  18. #18
    Mechagnome Zaelkath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    In your dreams.
    Posts
    658
    I think my response can be summed up with this image:

    It would be dark inside my head...if not for the fires...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    9 is just a number. I don't fundamentally believe that just because a game gets old that it dies. I believe good game design can keep a game a game going nearly indefinitely. League of legends is proof of that. It has far outdated graphics, yet remains extremely popular mainly because of good game design.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Yes, and all your assumptions about his job are totally correct. You stick to your assumptions and I will stick to mine.
    I don't have assumptions, I know what he was doing. It's on the internet, a google search away. We're not talking about an opinion here. Stop trying to demonize an individual just because want a single entity to blame. Things are hardly black and white.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    9 is just a number. I don't fundamentally believe that just because a game gets old that it dies. I believe good game design can keep a game a game going nearly indefinitely. League of legends is proof of that. It has far outdated graphics, yet remains extremely popular mainly because of good game design.

    - - - Updated - - -


    Yes, and all your assumptions about his job are totally correct. You stick to your assumptions and I will stick to mine.
    Well, people grow up, 9 years is a long time and a lot of people probably got a wife, kids etc.. in that time which made them leave wow. I started in 2005 when I was 15, had a lot of time to play until end of wotlk, and now that I'm 24, living with my girlfriend, have a job and such, I don't have the time to play as much and in a couple years we might have kids, and at that point I probably will have quit WoW.

    So basically, people who were around 20 when they started back in the day, might've gone through all that and left the game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •