Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Source? Old Gods are entirely an Azeroth phenomena.
    Like I said, they reused a model for C'thun but it doesn't mean much of anything.
    during a lore q&a where they asked some devs why there were old god creations on that space ship dungeon in bc and why the arrkoa were summoning what looked like an old god and whatnot they said that the old gods are a universal problem and that they latch onto different planets like parasites and are the main enemies of the titans throughout the universe

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 03:21 AM ----------

looks like somebody else already put the q&a where they answered it
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    except that fundamentally makes no sense... the titans didn't plan humans, and as has been said, and verified by blizzard themselves, tauren and Trolls existed before the titans ever came to Azeroth. I'm pretty sure they're just fancy shmancy statues.
    ooorrrrr

Ulduar was built and Yogg was defeated and imprisoned by the Titan's after 15000 years ago? After the Night Elves and Humans came to be. Or perhaps the "Humans" are Vrykul?

It's all pretty convoluted when you start thinking about it, and clearly blizzard didn't.
    16000 years ago Trolls fight Aqir, and split them into several fragmented kingdoms
    15000 years ago Vrykul start turning into humans
    ~13000 years ago Tyrande, Illidan and Malfurion are all young growing up in a well established city of Suramar.
    12000 years ago Zandalari and Mogu band together in an ill-fated attempt to crush the Pandaren revolution. Night Elves enter the battle on the side of the Pandaren?
    ~12000 years ago?, Night Elves annihilate the Zandalari? Empire outright, tattered remnants form the scattered, smaller empires.
    10000 years ago, War of the Ancients destroys Kalimdor. Trolls and Pandaria survive by isolating themselves.

ooorrrrr

Ulduar was built and Yogg was defeated and imprisoned by the Titan's after 15000 years ago? After the Night Elves and Humans came to be. Or perhaps the "Humans" are Vrykul?

It's all pretty convoluted when you start thinking about it, and clearly blizzard didn't.
    16000 years ago Trolls fight Aqir, and split them into several fragmented kingdoms
    15000 years ago Vrykul start turning into humans
    ~13000 years ago Tyrande, Illidan and Malfurion are all young growing up in a well established city of Suramar.
    12000 years ago Zandalari and Mogu band together in an ill-fated attempt to crush the Pandaren revolution. Night Elves enter the battle on the side of the Pandaren?
    ~12000 years ago?, Night Elves annihilate the Zandalari? Empire outright, tattered remnants form the scattered, smaller empires.
    10000 years ago, War of the Ancients destroys Kalimdor. Trolls and Pandaria survive by isolating themselves.
    didnt the zandalari withdraw from any conflicts and stick to mantaining records and magical artifacts way before the troll empire fell? isnt that why it was split between the amani and i forget the other one O-O
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Oooh, I love answering this one. Boom!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1008430853#2

Question #4. Fear the Old Gods!
    Interesting.

There are more Old Gods than just the ones trapped on Azeroth. It takes a lot for them to become manifested on a physical plane, however; see the quest line in Shadowmoon Valley that ends with "Thwart the Dark Conclave" for more information

So what the hell are they? That quest doesn't answer crap, just that Gul'dan's magic was tapped into to summon it.

10+ Year Old Account
    ooorrrrr

While they could be vrykul, it could be... somewhat noted... that the constellations don't have beards. They could just be watchers.

However, I'm assuming Ulduar was created when the Old Gods were cast down, which was before the curse of flesh, and therefore before humans, gnomes, and dwarves were officially "around"
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    didnt the zandalari withdraw from any conflicts and stick to mantaining records and magical artifacts way before the troll empire fell? isnt that why it was split between the amani and i forget the other one O-O
    Lore says it was the Night Elves which defeated them rapidly and cemented their apparently unshakeable hatred of the Elves ever since. They weren't clear about all the other tribes but the Zandalari look like the alpha trolls, everything else came to be after their overarching empire was shattered by the Night Elves. Gurubashi, Drakkari and the Amani maintained sizable power while Zandalar became isolated. There's not really anything saying how the Trolls, other than Zandalar, weathered the War of the Ancients.

Interesting.

There are more Old Gods than just the ones trapped on Azeroth. It takes a lot for them to become manifested on a physical plane, however; see the quest line in Shadowmoon Valley that ends with "Thwart the Dark Conclave" for more information

So what the hell are they? That quest doesn't answer crap, just that Gul'dan's magic was tapped into to summon it.
    old gods cant really be explained. theres most likely some kind of giant old god out in space making more of them but at the end of the day their just primordial parasitic primordial beings of chaos.

the best way to try to understand the old gods is to read alot of the lovecraft stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    old gods cant really be explained. theres most likely some kind of giant old god out in space making more of them but at the end of the day their just primordial parasitic primordial beings of chaos.

the best way to try to understand the old gods is to read alot of the lovecraft stuff
    I suppose Old Gods could be the Flying Spaghetti Monster

N'zoth revealed? xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    You just totally blew any credibility as a lore buff you had by calling the Naaru "Gods". The Naaru are space traveling demi-gods, probably on a similar level of the Ancients/Loa, and nowhere near the power of the Titans or Old Gods.

Actually, we don't know how powerful the Naaru are, they grant the power of light to mortals and hide from view most of the time. The only ones we have seen are ones that have been fighting the Burning legion for thousands of years. Also the Naaru prefer to lend power than use it them selves. The reason I do not count them as Demi-Gods is because the status of Demi-God implies there is a power greater than you that you answer to.

Many of the good aligned Demi-gods answer to Elune who is a God, but we have no idea which pantheon she is apart of.

Once again pantheons of Gods

Titans

7 Titans - Lawful-Order: (not necessarily good) status unknown made worlds, created machine life with constructed Demi-God Keepers or Titan Keepers to oversee the constructed worlds. Confirmed Player Races: Human, Dwarves, and Gnome

Old Gods - Chaotic Evil: Status Imprisoned by Titans, found on any worlds do to dialog in raids it is implied they arrive to a world just after the Titans Terra-form them, they are treated as a pathogen by the titans. May have made the Insect races.

Naaru - Lawful Good: Status Helping PCs in Outland, gives the power of light to all Priests and Paladins. Holds the demon hordes at bay while mortal races try and survive. Seem much weaker than the Titans and the Old gods, until you realize they give their power up freely to all mortals and still have enough power left over to slow the Burning Legion. No known secondary levels besides characters who use the power of light.

Unknown:
    Elune, ancients, loa, Most of the native good aligned Demi-gods on Azeroth.

-One rumored theory is Elune is a Naaru. Which implies that the Demi-Gods and Loa of Azeroth where made by the Naaru. The other theory is that Elune is a good aligned Old God.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    -One rumored theory is Elune is a Naaru. Which implies that the Demi-Gods and Loa of Azeroth where made by the Naaru. The other theory is that Elune is a good aligned Old God.
    "Elune is NOT a Naaru, deal with it." - HAHA.

That was never confirmed to be an Old God at all. Recycled model for something of barely any significance does not an Old God on Draenor make.
    "Q:Who is the arakkoa "master" that Isfar talks about? It is not Terokk…

A:There are more Old Gods than just the ones trapped on Azeroth. It takes a lot for them to become manifested on a physical plane, however; see the quest line in Shadowmoon Valley that ends with "Thwart the Dark Conclave" for more information. "

"The spirits of the dark conclave seek to summon an ancient and powerful evil through a ritual conducted at the lava pits to the south of the Sketh'lon Base Camp."

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Thwart_the_Dark_Conclave

I don't know, but if they specifically name Old Gods during a Ask CDev, even if the question is not directly mentioning Old Gods, and combining with the code word for old god "ancient and powerful evil".

There is no Old God in Draenor but one of the Old Gods tried to get a direct hold on Draenor by manifesting there.

Also, during the Badlands questchain you will find this quote:

"Eye of the Watchers says: Anomaly detected. Probable source: Azerothian Old God. Attempting to excise anomaly..."

There are probably far more Old Gods out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Also, during the Badlands questchain you will find this quote:

"Eye of the Watchers says: Anomaly detected. Probable source: Azerothian Old God. Attempting to excise anomaly..."
    That one refers to n'zoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    "Elune is NOT a Naaru, deal with it." - HAHA.
    Fanwanks (like Elune being a Naaru) are as canon as used toilet paper. Please stop trolling me, if you've got nothing to say, then don't say anything.
    Now, if they decide to show Elune, in game or in a novel as a giant, floating windchime, and couple it with other nonsensical tripe like Loa and Celestials are also Naaru to wrap everything up in a happy Naaru package, and bolster a rather unimpressive race to uber God status, I can stand corrected, and I will also cease wasting my time in the WoW story permanently for the most ridiculous plot-twist/lore-fuck retcon Blizz will ever have done and if Im not raiding I'd probably just unsub. But that day will probably never come, even as cynical about the devs as I am now.

I don't know, but if they specifically name Old Gods during a Ask CDev, even if the question is not directly mentioning Old Gods, and combining with the code word for old god "ancient and powerful evil".
    Ya, it was open ended and not really a sufficient explanation. This was also interesting

It takes a lot for them to become manifested on a physical plane, however
    So begs the question, who the hell summoned them all into Azeroth so long ago?

10+ Year Old Account
    So what the hell are they?
    The Tribunal in Ulduar describes them as 'necrophotic' symbiotes, which means 'dead light.' So I figure they're manifestations of some kind of twisted opposite of the Light from another universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    There is no Old God in Draenor but one of the Old Gods tried to get a direct hold on Draenor by manifesting there.
    I have a theory that the Old Gods were summoned a long time ago by the arakkoa, who supposedly had this great society and everything that vanished. So yeah, they've been crapping up things for a while across the universe.

It takes a lot for them to become manifested on a physical plane, however
    So begs the question, who the hell summoned them all into Azeroth so long ago?
    Ah, such delightful speculation abounding in this thread...

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    ...for the most ridiculous plot-twist/lore-fuck retcon Blizz ...

Um, since it was the Devs who made the first Joke about it. And the didn't say no, they might consider doing that. Also it would not be a " plot-twist/lore-fuck retcon" because they have never said Elune was anything but a Goddess. Now I agree the Naaru are a bit lame visually speaking, but they did that because they are making all the Deities and God like beings in the Warcraft Universe based more on the Greek and Nordic type gods who where nothing more than very powerful Humanoid beings that lived and died like mortals. They wanted the Naaru to be more of a Transcendental Being
    So to get defensive over Elune being made into a Diety such as a Titan or a Naaru is silly. And it is going to happen one day, all the important mystery will be answered.

For the silly
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2013-01-18 at 09:36 AM.

By your logic, I should be able to put a troll male and a night elf male face side by side and see that they're similar. Well they aren't. This is just terrible speculation and is wrong for a whole bunch of reasons. Don't bother speculating if the "speculation" you think up might as well be a conspiracy with a tinfoil hat on. The Mogu do NOT become trolls cuz of the curse of flesh. The CoF only turns beings into fleshy versions of themselves. They don't change shape or form or anything of the sort.

Deleted
    Um, since it was the Devs who made the first Joke about it. And the didn't say no, they might consider doing that. Also it would not be a " plot-twist/lore-fuck retcon" because they have never said Elune was anything but a Goddess. Now I agree the Naaru are a bit lame visually speaking, but they did that because they are making all the Deities and God like beings in the Warcraft Universe based more on the Greek and Nordic type gods who where nothing more than very powerful Humanoid beings that lived and died like mortals. They wanted the Naaru to be more of a Transcendental Being
    So to get defensive over Elune being made into a Diety such as a Titan or a Naaru is silly. And it is going to happen one day, all the important mystery will be answered.

For the silly
    EPIC! I'm going to save this picture!

Deleted
    On topic: No the Trolls and Mogu are not relatives in any way shape or form. The Troll existed thousands of years before the Titans visited Azeroth for the first time, the Mogu on the other hand created by the Titans as non living beings. (Two sources say different in when the Titans first visited Azeroth and what they did.)

Note here, the Titans did not create Azeroth, they changed it. The Old Gods already inhabitat Azeroth as an parasite live form, they are known as an universal problem.

On another question, no one summoned Old Gods to Azeroth, its told that they just appeared out of the void of the universe with no direction in mind, settling and infesting Azeroth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ogdru Jahad View Post
    By your logic, I should be able to put a troll male and a night elf male face side by side and see that they're similar. Well they aren't. This is just terrible speculation and is wrong for a whole bunch of reasons. Don't bother speculating if the "speculation" you think up might as well be a conspiracy with a tinfoil hat on. The Mogu do NOT become trolls cuz of the curse of flesh. The CoF only turns beings into fleshy versions of themselves. They don't change shape or form or anything of the sort.
    You need to look up the Origin of the humans in WOW again. Also Chris Metzen flat out said Night Elves came from Dark Trolls. You need to finish all the Lorewalker quests because I wasn't even referring to the curse of flesh. Pandaria has engines of creation, and can change a being in many surprising ways.

ie Troggs became Grummels, Murlocs became Jinyu, Tauren get funny hair.

Deleted
    ie Troggs became Grummels, Murlocs became Jinyu, Tauren get funny hair.
    Why do Grummles hide their faces?