Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've been in a couple of guilds where officers were payrolling other members subs as they played from somewhere that 8 pounds/dollar/euro a month to play the game was a decent portion of a families income or they were just generally utterly broke. It is a nice thing with a decent "social" guild. With time spent raiding if it all holds together you have people you are almost certain to get to know quite well. The "family" core at the heart of a lot of guilds is what makes this type of game so hard to leave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Wow, that's pretty cool.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 04:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    There's an excess of herd mentality in many want-to-be 'great' guilds, always looking around and reading trying to pick up tips so their guild will be more successful. I hope that people from those guilds will read this thread and follow your example in how you support your people. This is what really makes a guild great; not progression or angling for the very latest almost-exploit or strategy.

Well done. You sound like a great bunch of people.
    There's a "herd mentality" in everything in the game. People that bash "want-to-be 'great' guilds" are no exception. And there are plenty of those. I think the moral of this story is not to judge other players. Or how they play. Because the personality you build in your mind as to who they are is most always wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Awesome testimonial to the .0000000001% of players.

cudos
    prob best thing thats said in ehre

I don't want to go into any details, but I've had something similar happen to me. There are some really great people here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Message from a faction leader

/salute

you guys are great

Epic story! I did a similar thing when a friend of mine broker old old old g35 so i bought her a razer naga. best mouse ever!

Awesome to hear.

I know some folks whose guildies helped them out with either a month's car payment or month's rent once a few years back when they hit a rough patch. Easy for the heartwarming stories to fade into the background amongst all the negative attitudes you see in public chat and on forums.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

10+ Year Old Account
    While that was a nice gesture, TBH, I think it would have been better for the person to take the opportunity to step away from the game and focus on sorting his life out.

Quote Originally Posted by lordsphinx View Post
    Message from a Raid Leader

I wanted to share something that just happened in my group this week as a message to every raider out there that is committed to your raid team. Our offtank has been with the group now for about a year, and has been an excellent addition to the team. He has shown his dedication by consistently showing up on time, prepared, and with the attitude that we are going to kill bosses. He keeps the mood light and fun, and is just overall a great person to be around.

On Tuesday this week, mid fight he announces that his monitor just went blank and won’t turn on again. Eventually he is able to get it back on, but it keeps cutting out every few minutes. We try to talk him through some possible issues, but at the end of the day, the monitor was just busted. We know the offtank just lost his job a month ago and was in a tough spot for money as it is, so we started to worry if we were going to lose him for a while until he got a new monitor.

Come to find out that during one of the brief moments the monitor was on, one of my veteran raiders managed to get his home address. That raider then went to tigerdirect and got a new monitor sent to the offtank’s house. It just arrived today.

The moral of this story is that this should be a message to the world out there that we are not just a group of nerdy basement dwellers playing some stupid game. We are real people who forge real friendships over the years. I have to honestly say that I am proud to be a part of a team that cares about each other not only in game, but IRL as well. This is a thank you to all raiders out there who make your individual teams succeed.

Thanks again,

A Grateful Raid Leader
    This is a great story, happy to read this.

But, and I don't hope you'll get mad at me for saying this but just want to ask/say/mention......

Let's say that guy's tv broke down...... Would that veteran raider buy a new tv and send it to his home?
    (I hope you get the point which I am trying to make here.....)

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 08:48 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Awesome to hear.

I know some folks whose guildies helped them out with either a month's car payment or month's rent once a few years back when they hit a rough patch. Easy for the heartwarming stories to fade into the background amongst all the negative attitudes you see in public chat and on forums.
    This is awesome!

10+ Year Old Account
    I Used to raid on an old E machines computer.
    It had no video card, Every time i walked over glass floors id crash.

Eventually my Raid leader who lives in my city got me an old AGP video card.
    "The slot was AGP Not PCI, This is how old my computer was"

I was able to raid at 10fps with the card thanks to the guild leader.

He later would help me find a job.

But i feel like this is only because we played at a local internet cafe and live in the same city i very much doubt he would have helped otherwise.
    Also my dps was really sick so they needed me, to that level its more about their loot than helping me imo.

Deleted
    It’s a bit like drug addicts sharing needles.

You should help him find a job !

You got him a monitor because you were stuffed without him.

Would you send him that monitor if he wasn't a tank, or he was replaceable? =P
    No offense, just curious since in your story you only mentioned you were worried that you would be losing him (for raid) until he get a new monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephismo View Post
    It’s a bit like drug addicts sharing needles.

You should help him find a job !

You got him a monitor because you were stuffed without him.
    I never thought about it that way your totally right though.

I think I had abit off that inn my old vanilla classic guild, but I think that was cause some people knew each other IRL/familiy relasions something.

Nice read OP.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

good story.. very cool.. id be like.. touched if some1 sent me a monitor.. it'd have to be 24 inches though to match my current 4 year old one though or id have trouble getting used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kouki View Post
    I never thought about it that way your totally right though.
    No, not totally. For one, gifting him a new monitor was something that could be done immediately, while finding a job will, even if it works, only help in several weeks.
    Two, it might not even be feasible to do.

Sure, long term it would be a bigger help, but sometimes you simply cannot go for the long term goals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Very cool story.

I have some story also. One of our officers died on his Vacation two summers ago. :-/ We were thinking about what to do, how to help his family and his girlfriend. Then we at last tried to donate to his family with some money since we cannot join his funeral. If I remember well we gathered approx 500 € for like flowers and stuff. Was so depressing that time when we got informed about his passing away.

Rest in piece mate even its some time you passed! <3
    Retired... but for how long? WAS DRAGGED TO THE LEGION HYPETRAIN!!!

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Vashiq/simple

Awesome!

/10 Characters

This is full of awsomesauce. Always nice to hear there are other good people out there breaking the stereotypes.

My guild does things like this as well. Collection of moneys for people in hospitals like flowers or something. Most recent one was a collection of money for our healing officer that was prego and put on bed rest until the delivery. We collected enough for a kindle fire and some amazon gift cards. Its the bonds that we form with each other that makes up stay playing WoW. I love my guild and the people in it. Nice story!!