View Poll Results: I'm a Horde Druid and I:

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love our new Travel form

    20 35.09%
  • Love the old Travel form more

    11 19.30%
  • Wanted a different new Travel form

    12 21.05%
  • I'm an Alliance Druid

    14 24.56%
Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Horde Druids and Travel Form

    So as a Night Elf Druid, I absolutely love the new stag Travel form. Even if I wasn't a Night Elf, the model is just beautifully made, and I use it whenever I can, sometimes even eschewing faster transport just to bound around as a deer. But I was wondering how my Horde buddies feel about it?
    The Night Elves have pretty close ties to stags and forests and the like, and I guess the Worgen do through them, but to me it seems like a stag is kind of unrelated to the Horde Druids. Tauren and Trolls homelands don't exactly have abundant supplies of deer just standing around; giraffes maybe, and not really much of anything from the jungles of Stranglethorn, but not deer. I get why it's the "same" model, as Druids have always been a very factionally balanced class for Blizz, but I can't help but wonder how the players feel about using a somewhat random model. Plus I mean, it's a deer with vampire fangs! Doesn't that just look kinda weird to you guys?

  2. #2
    the old travel form makes more sense for horde druids cause there are a lot of large cats in both stranglethorn and the barrens
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

  3. #3
    deer and mulgore go hand in hand for me i dunno

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Auberdeen View Post
    deer and mulgore go hand in hand for me i dunno
    Please show me a single deer that exists in Mulgore.

    I can appreciate the efforts they made to make it a bit more Hordish; the fangs are likely "tusks" from the Trolls, while they stockier fetlocks (I have no idea about horses/animals like that so I hope I'm getting that right) and hooves make sense for Tauren, but I still think they could have at least given it a more African (Barrens) skin.

  5. #5
    I much prefer the Old travel form myself and I'm glad we have Glyph-of-the-cheetah in game so we can keep it that way :P

  6. #6
    Pit Lord Urti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Learnin' Braille, Readin' basketballs.
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
    Please show me a single deer that exists in Mulgore.

    I can appreciate the efforts they made to make it a bit more Hordish; the fangs are likely "tusks" from the Trolls, while they stockier fetlocks (I have no idea about horses/animals like that so I hope I'm getting that right) and hooves make sense for Tauren, but I still think they could have at least given it a more African (Barrens) skin.
    This. A gazelle version would be awesome, but I get why they gave the stag to everyone. 2 models is twice the work. The cheetah option is still there for a more Barrens-y feel though.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    This. A gazelle version would be awesome, but I get why they gave the stag to everyone. 2 models is twice the work. The cheetah option is still there for a more Barrens-y feel though.
    Yeah, like I could see if they gave it huge tusks instead of antlers, or giant horns instead of antlers, but instead they gave it...a giant moose rack? I don't see how that's any more relevant than the slender Alliance rack. It just seems kinda funny that they went to the trouble of changing it, but didn't even make changes that really fit with the two races.
    Oooooh well, this isn't to say I hate it, I still love any time the Druid class gets graphic attention, especially to such an old model. But I'm a Fine Arts major, so sue me if I get picky about the details. XD

  8. #8
    I actually like the old cat travel form, really for the horde they should of just updated that, I would of even said some kind of kick ass wolf if it wasn't for shammies.

  9. #9
    Old God apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    10,415
    It dosn't matter to me one bit. Taurens are a part of the circle as Night Elves are. The stag is not representing night elves, it is just that night elves 'worship'. The night elf culture is woven into the druid culture so truly it is more of a druid thing then anything.

    Also the tauren lore even has lore on Apa'ro/Melorne, where they hunt him but he ends up getting away. Tauren do not waste anything so that is why all there huts and such is all made from leather and such so stags can also represent taurens as well.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  10. #10
    Your question implies that the stag is related to the animals close to the specific race. That's untrue. The stag is related to being a druid -- it actually makes more sense for travel form to be a stag than a cheeta. Druid of the Antler is one of four subgroups of druids, the others being 'of the claw' (bear), 'of the talon' (bird), 'of the fang' (cat). The antler, and subsequently the stag, is in reference to Malorne, the father of Cenarius, husband of Elune, and all-around center stone of druid lore. Also, it's worth noting that Malorne is FIRST mentioned in Tauren lore (see The White Stag and the Moon).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    Jesus Christ? I could not follow his radical left-wing path. No, even if I did believe in a personal god, I would not have the guts, the extreme altruism and radical anti-capitalism necessary to call myself a Christian.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    Hyperbole police! We have been alerted to several reports of some suburbian white guys complaining about racism. Ok I am going to give you a warning. You have 60 days to put on your big boy britches and stop being a whiny kid. Seriously. Time to grow up.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    Your question implies that the stag is related to the animals close to the specific race. That's untrue. The stag is related to being a druid -- it actually makes more sense for travel form to be a stag than a cheeta. Druid of the Antler is one of four subgroups of druids, the others being 'of the claw' (bear), 'of the talon' (bird), 'of the fang' (cat). The antler, and subsequently the stag, is in reference to Malorne, the father of Cenarius, husband of Elune, and all-around center stone of druid lore. Also, it's worth noting that Malorne is FIRST mentioned in Tauren lore (see The White Stag and the Moon).
    Plus Tauren lore says that tauren hunters would seek to find Malorne and that even a glimpse of him would bring prosperity to the tribe. Don't forget Tauren were a nomadic race, so you can't exclude any contact with deers. Only recently after being helped by Orcs have managed to settle down.

    Plus. because....MALORNE MODEL! :P

  12. #12
    Can't say I've ever heard of Druids of the Antler. WoWPedia has two sentences on them, half of which is from the RPG books, and even that only states they're rumored to exist. Not saying they wouldn't, as it seems all the forms have some group or other dedicated to them, but I'm not sure what they'd gain exactly from extensive use of stag form.
    I get that stags are important to the core of Druidism, but that doesn't mean they can't make alterations. After all, Trolls do use a bat for flight form, and that sure doesn't lend itself to being Druids of the Talon. Also I'm pretty sure not all Druids belong to any of those groups. They've been played out more as special ops groups of the Druid world, specializing in certain jobs and going where the Circle needs them; they also seem like they'd require special training, and I really just don't think most Druids are members, so that shouldn't dictate their forms as much as race would.
    And there's plenty of more Horde-appropriate ungulates they could've chosen from, is all I'm saying. You've got gazelles aplenty out in the Barrens and elsewhere, they would've made a fine choice. Just putting some more African animal fur colors on the same model would've worked wonders I think. But maybe I'm wrong in reading it as a moose; maybe what they were going for was simply "giant, hairy deer-beast," and that ends up just looking like a moose 'cuz that's basically what moose are.

    Also you realize Druids of the Fang are snake Druids. As in, the sect that worked with Naralex in the Barrens. As far as I know there is no cat group, which is odd, but beside the point.

  13. #13
    The troll forms don't need to be the same as the tauren/night elf forms because the source of Troll druidism is not the same. They get their druidism from the Lao Gonk (the source explained better here). For that reason, trolls becoming stags doesn't make a lot of sense and so it's debatable what they should have been. But Tauren becoming stags does make a lot of sense. Cenarius was the one who taught tauren how to be druids (see Forestlord and the First Druids). Considering Cenarius also taught Malfurion Stormrage druidism, there's really no compelling argument to be made that either race has more claim to that form than the other. In fact, to suggest that tauren might be inclined to take a different form ignores the fact that they are an extremely honorable race whose entire culture is based on the worship and veneration of the spirits, the earth and the moon. They would naturally choose the form(s) that honor the spirits. Certainly the form that respects the source of their druidism (Cenarius) would be their first choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    Jesus Christ? I could not follow his radical left-wing path. No, even if I did believe in a personal god, I would not have the guts, the extreme altruism and radical anti-capitalism necessary to call myself a Christian.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    Hyperbole police! We have been alerted to several reports of some suburbian white guys complaining about racism. Ok I am going to give you a warning. You have 60 days to put on your big boy britches and stop being a whiny kid. Seriously. Time to grow up.

  14. #14
    Pit Lord Urti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Learnin' Braille, Readin' basketballs.
    Posts
    2,300
    Quote Originally Posted by Scunosi View Post
    Also you realize Druids of the Fang are snake Druids. As in, the sect that worked with Naralex in the Barrens. As far as I know there is no cat group, which is odd, but beside the point.
    Wasn't there also the Druids "of the Pack" that became the first worgen, or did that get scrapped with the worgen/arugal thing?

    So that would be "Druids of the..."
    Claw (bear totem, WC3)
    Talon (bird totem, WC3)
    Pack (wolf totem, Worgen), also called Druids of the Scythe
    Fang (snake totem, Naralex)
    Also there are Druids of the Grove, and prolly a slew of others that could exist we just haven't heard of yet.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

  15. #15
    The Patient Quackie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    316
    I prefer the old travel form, but I'm not spending a glyph on it. Plus, being able to have a rider has been helpful in some situations.

  16. #16
    Scarab Lord Azutael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    4,725
    I prefer the old cheetah, the stag looks retarded when it runs :P

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Wasn't there also the Druids "of the Pack" that became the first worgen, or did that get scrapped with the worgen/arugal thing?

    So that would be "Druids of the..."
    Claw (bear totem, WC3)
    Talon (bird totem, WC3)
    Pack (wolf totem, Worgen), also called Druids of the Scythe
    Fang (snake totem, Naralex)
    Also there are Druids of the Grove, and prolly a slew of others that could exist we just haven't heard of yet.
    No, the Druids of the Pack are still important to lore, in fact even more important than ever with their new use as half the basis for Worgen as a race. But their interaction is kind of...weird and hard for me to understand, much less to explain. They sort of created worgen alongside/before Arugal.
    Also the Wolf form is apparently banned from use for Druids, specifically because it makes the user go all primal and just start killing things.

  18. #18
    The Insane
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Posts
    16,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Wasn't there also the Druids "of the Pack" that became the first worgen, or did that get scrapped with the worgen/arugal thing?

    So that would be "Druids of the..."
    Claw (bear totem, WC3)
    Talon (bird totem, WC3)
    Pack (wolf totem, Worgen), also called Druids of the Scythe
    Fang (snake totem, Naralex)
    Also there are Druids of the Grove, and prolly a slew of others that could exist we just haven't heard of yet.
    Druids of the Stag, look em up.

    Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

  19. #19
    Bloodsail Admiral Giants41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York, United States of America
    Posts
    1,064
    Because Blizzard didn't want to put the effort in. Thats really the only explanation.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    Because Blizzard didn't want to put the effort in. Thats really the only explanation.
    Sure, that's the only explanation…



    … if you ignore all the other explanations given in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurax View Post
    Jesus Christ? I could not follow his radical left-wing path. No, even if I did believe in a personal god, I would not have the guts, the extreme altruism and radical anti-capitalism necessary to call myself a Christian.
    Quote Originally Posted by ngc2440 View Post
    Hyperbole police! We have been alerted to several reports of some suburbian white guys complaining about racism. Ok I am going to give you a warning. You have 60 days to put on your big boy britches and stop being a whiny kid. Seriously. Time to grow up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •