Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some people have too much time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmaz View Post
    This is first world problems people.
    We live in the First World. Pretty much all of our problems are First World problems. So what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leave it to Colbert to spoof this:

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-col...rate-scamwhich
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by bobyboucher View Post
    Then they should add more dough to the mix and let it grow to 13 - 14 inches instead of clipping an inch here and there
    I'm kinda just surprised that they don't have a giant stick of bread that they cut off sandwiches from.

Yeah, I'm with Pendulous here. If your "footlong" sub is within ~10% of the putative length, no biggie. Really, they should manufacture them such that the average is 12 inches, so people are occasionally getting more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm more concerned about why they're advertising footlongs in a country that uses SI.

Know what they call a quarter pounder in France? Royale with Cheese.
    What do they call the Big Mac?

Really though, every restaurant that offers fresh baked bread, bakes it from frozen dough slugs, which pre-measured or not, the fact is that it's really impossible to predict just how much a particular loaf will expand. If you want to accurately grade that fact, you would need to control the study for atmospheric pressure, which I somehow doubt this particular study has been.

I'm more concerned about why they're advertising footlongs in a country that uses SI.
    Well, five dollars for nearly a third of a metre doesn't have the same ring to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, five dollars for nearly a third of a metre doesn't have the same ring to it...
    In Canada we call it a footlong still for this exact reason.

EDIT: Also, because the dough slugs are pre-measured it doesn't matter how much it ends up actually rising, the caloric value is exactly the same really. So it's not like you're getting ripped off if a dough slug, designed to rise into a 12" loaf of bread, only becomes 11" because higher atmospheric pressure when it was baked prevented it from doing so completely.

Getting less of what should be categorized as sandwich garbage is probably a good thing. Subway is the dumpster of sandwich shops.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    I doubt it they probably call it a royale with whatever the word for cheese is in french.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/doctorc...n/photostream/

Wait they actually give you meat with their salt?

Subway is about as healthy as Taco Bell; except in the latter case, they actually have drive throughs. Not that I would eat Mexican food.
    Why is it that every thread about fast food has to contain posts from the world's leading epicureans, letting us know how unhealthy the food is?

Do you tell everyone you pass on the street during the day that the sun is hot?

Now I'm even more confused, what with that burger called the "280". :P Is the patty 280 grams pre-cooked or something? That would give the quarter pounder patty envy.

Subway is about as healthy as Taco Bell; except in the latter case, they actually have drive throughs. Not that I would eat Mexican food.
    What do you find unhealthy about a Subway sub? A six inch ham and turkey sub has 290 calories, 4 grams of fat, 46 grams of carbs, 5 grams of fiber, 8 grams of sugars, 20 grams of protein, and a decent scattering of vitamins. As a runner, eating the footlong version is basically the perfect breakdown of nutrition for me. It's a bit high in sodium, but nothing particularly unusual.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    I doubt it they probably call it a royale with whatever the word for cheese is in french.
    It's called Cheeseburger Royale in Switzerland. I'm dead serious. http://www.mcdonalds.ch/de/menuekart...seburger-royal

And I haven't been in Subway for a while, but it wouldn't cross my mind to measure them. It's plenty of food either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you find unhealthy about a Subway sub? A six inch ham and turkey sub has 290 calories, 4 grams of fat, 46 grams of carbs, 5 grams of fiber, 8 grams of sugars, 20 grams of protein, and a decent scattering of vitamins. As a runner, eating the footlong version is basically the perfect breakdown of nutrition for me. It's a bit high in sodium, but nothing particularly unusual.
    I don't get what he thinks is so unhealthy either. There are unhealthy sandwiches there (flatbread, chicken & bacon ranch, meatball), but overall it's very healthy stuff if you do it right.

I think the taboo lies in the processed meats, which are high in sodium. I mean the subway diet will definitely provide you with balanced nutrition, but if you're eating it every day then prepare for a heart attack. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zao View Post
    It's called Cheeseburger Royale in Switzerland. I'm dead serious. http://www.mcdonalds.ch/de/menuekart...seburger-royal

And I haven't been in Subway for a while, but it wouldn't cross my mind to measure them. It's plenty of food either way.
    Is the same on the French and Italian language menus too.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I'd still like to know what that "280" is? Is it a 280 gram patty? because if so,holy crap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    It's called Royal Cheese in France, not Cheeseburger Royal.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I'd still like to know what that "280" is? Is it a 280 gram patty? because if so,holy crap.
    280gr is the weight of the sandwich, not just the meat.