Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Subway subs coming up short

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...ews-deals.html

Basically, some guy in Australia measure one and a footlong came up to only 11 inches. Then some other people started researching and found over half were coming up short.

Here's the thing though. There isn't some magical machine making these things exactly 12 inches. These are people rolling some flavoring into defrosted rolls of frozen bread. They're not all going to be EXACTLY 12 inches. It reminds me of things like other fast food places. That quarter pound burger you ordered isn't going to be a quarter pound. Because when you grill or fry it, it shrinks a ton. Same thing here pretty much. You have to allow a little discrepancy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

Basically, some guy in Australia measure one and a footlong came up to only 11 inches. Then some other people started researching and found over half were coming up short.

Here's the thing though. There isn't some magical machine making these things exactly 12 inches. These are people rolling some flavoring into defrosted rolls of frozen bread. They're not all going to be EXACTLY 12 inches. It reminds me of things like other fast food places. That quarter pound burger you ordered isn't going to be a quarter pound. Because when you grill or fry it, it shrinks a ton. Same thing here pretty much. You have to allow a little discrepancy.
    That's why there is a note on quarter pounders that it is a quarter pound frozen before cooking.

Deleted
    bread rises and grows when you make it, its probably pretty hard to get it dead on 12inch. i never really cared to measure any subway i got, too busy eating it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm more concerned about why they're advertising footlongs in a country that uses SI.

Know what they call a quarter pounder in France? Royale with Cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Subway stinks anyway, they always give you so little meat...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm more concerned about why they're advertising footlongs in a country that uses SI.

Know what they call a quarter pounder in France? Royale with Cheese.
    I doubt it they probably call it a royale with whatever the word for cheese is in french.

I've never ordered any food item from any national chain that looked as it was advertised. Most of the time it's smushed and sad looking, like a blobfish.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I've never ordered any food item from any national chain that looked as it was advertised. Most of the time it's smushed and sad looking, like a blobfish.

most subs from subway look a bit like the picture if you dont get them toasted, after they add the cheese and toast it they usually squash it down.

15+ Year Old Account
    You have to allow a little discrepancy.
    Then they should add more dough to the mix and let it grow to 13 - 14 inches instead of clipping an inch here and there

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bobyboucher View Post
    Then they should add more dough to the mix and let it grow to 13 - 14 inches instead of clipping an inch here and there
    Bread enlargement pills don't work!

It's false advertising then. They should be a bit bigger if anything to compensate for this.

Deleted
    surprised they dont have a little thing saying
    *sizes may vary slightly
    on their menu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    I doubt it they probably call it a royale with whatever the word for cheese is in french.
    Swing and a miss. Pulp Fiction.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Two things

First its not really false advertising-- they never claimed that the subs were actually 12 inches, footlong can mean plenty of things.

Second--- I pay 5$ for a sub thats almost a "real" foot, and im happy with that price and the product. If subway advertised a sub the size of theirs as 30 inches but it was the same product, I'd still buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Swing and a miss. Pulp Fiction.
    I knew it was from pulp fiction, but still.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Two things

First its not really false advertising-- they never claimed that the subs were actually 12 inches, footlong can mean plenty of things.

Second--- I pay 5$ for a sub thats almost a "real" foot, and im happy with that price and the product. If subway advertised a sub the size of theirs as 30 inches but it was the same product, I'd still buy it.

well a footlong implies its a foot long, as in 12inches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Subway stinks anyway, they always give you so little meat...
    Terrible quality meat, swimming in salt. Bleh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Terrible quality meat, swimming in salt. Bleh.
    Wait they actually give you meat with their salt?

Subway is about as healthy as Taco Bell; except in the latter case, they actually have drive throughs. Not that I would eat Mexican food.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiricine View Post
    Two things

when they cut one in half and they call it a 6" sub it kind of implies that it as a whole is a foot. So yes it is false advertising and is infact against the law.

Also they should make up for it I mean the British invented a way to deal with this kind of thing back in the 1300s when it come to bread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker%27s_dozen#Baking

Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    fromage royal? humm I could go for that