Heroic Blade Lord. What the heck am I doing wrong?

I've tried stacking mastery and I guess with all the movement in heroics, I'm just not comfortable with positioning yet to be able to find the spot I can stick to, so my stacks fall off, or I'm spamming arcane blast to keep them up while I find a good spot and my dps suffers big time. I've tried haste stacking, which works better since the casts are faster, I have more wiggle room. The dps is better but still isn't where it should be. I've most recently picked up haste=mastery, which running my gear through simc suggested, and it's working pretty well. People in my guild have whispered me about how much better I'm doing. EXCEPT THIS FIGHT.

www .worldoflogs. com/reports/h4di7qqelui5zlgr/sum/damageDone/?s=7475&e=7921
    (I'm Caladriel, the mage sucking it up at the bottom of the list... and it seems I STILL can't post links yet. I've inserted a space after www and before com)

My stacks only dropped once that I remember. Yet I was last for damage (besides tanks and healers). I have no idea how to use the expression editor, so if anyone can help me out and figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong or something that I'm missing, PLEASE HELP! I don't feel I'm doing my rotation wrong (once I have 6 stacks and have done my cooldowns, It's AB then scorch, missiles when they proc but never two missiles in a row unless I'm sub 90% and I have two procs). I spam Arcane Explosion when we stack for Unseen Strike, I make sure to get an Explosion off before blinking out for blade tempest and I also turn around and snip a missiles proc short to keep stacks up until blade tempest is over. I save my second round of cooldowns for 10% (though in this log, I died on the way, so I never got to use them). I've seen people post logs and ask for help before, I know the expression editor is a powerful tool, I just don't understand how to use it. So anything you guys notice that would help would be amazing.

Rune of Power 15 170.6 38.2 %

There you go, Also if you want to avoid loosing stacks try using arcane explosion. Also your burst seemed rather bit low compared to the other mage..

Well, the other mage is only at 40%. There are a lot of mechanics where you're not in it... stacking for Unseen Strike, running out for Blade Tempest, running down the hallway dodging tornadoes... It can't only be because of my RoP uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by Caladriel View Post
    Well, the other mage is only at 40%. There are a lot of mechanics where you're not in it... stacking for Unseen Strike, running out for Blade Tempest, running down the hallway dodging tornadoes... It can't only be because of my RoP uptime.
    Well as I said your burst at the start was WAY lower. But on the actual topic, 40% on RoP is just way too low, its better to spec IW at that point or Invoc, Also the point is to minimize movement, and for this boss its pretty much RNG on how many tornadoes you get on you. And as for the unseen and Tempest, its not that much lost, its even possible to blink the tempest onto your rune and keep scorching trying to get 2 stacks of am and then arcane explosion to keep charges going, and you are on your rune with 2 stacks of AM right after tempest ends..

So in short its a dick boss, positioning is key, and other than that hope for good rng.

Quote Originally Posted by Caladriel View Post
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=5543&e=5984

My 71.6% says otherwise.

PS: That was my third boss EVER as Arcane, so I'm not some like god of Mages (hell I consider myself meh). I find RoP to be 10000000x easier to manage than Invocation on BL.

So yeah, your uptime is under half of mine; it's a big issue.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Caladriel,

"Active Time" I think has more to do with your low damage than anything else.
    Apparently I am also really bad at Rune of Power uptime on this fight, 60% in fact, on all 3 of my H Blade Lord kills so far.
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-qo...?s=7460&e=7936
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-v0...?s=3544&e=4015
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kp...?s=3252&e=3728
    But you will notice that my Active Time is around 90%. Worst being 87. Your active time was 73%.
    I know you said you died but that was in the last 10% of the fight.

I dunno, it's just another thing I noticed. It all adds up, the Active Time, the RoP uptime, and the low burst with cooldowns.
    And I don't think your rotation is to blame. It sounds like you know what you're doing as far as what keys to press. Maybe you just aren't pressing them often enough, creating downtime for yourself.
    Last edited by chrisnumbers; 2013-01-19 at 01:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    my only input is as the other person suggested where your movement is hindering performance. sometimes you just have to cast, and cast and cast

get to safe spot FAST and cast. anticipate when you need to stack and inch toward it. that sort of thing. 8 yrds apart in 25 man, well, there are more healers so winstep isnt as big an issue as rl is hyping. ABC and RoP = always be casting & try to keep as much uptime on rune of power as possible

btw arc is boring, 5.2 will settle that crap down & hopefully ppl will go fire again

We are going to work on heroic blade lord this week, so hopefully I'll be able to come back with some practical help, I can say though that if you are going to keep using rune, always keep it in a safe spot, and if it gets covered by a tornado, just move and recast it. The uptime is more important than the lost cast. If you are losing stacks, especially while moving, try the arcane explosion glyph and use it to retain stacks or save a missles proc for when you have to move and short cast that at the end of your movement, then recast rune.

As you get more time in on the fight, you should get better at anticipating alternate locations for your rune. Also, as someone else posted above, it really helps to keep an eye on the timers. Once the unseen timer is about to go off, and he has done windstep, it is usually safe to move to a secondary rune closer to the group for stacking for unseen.

I think one very underused tool for arcane mages is the Glyph of AE. This glyph is a lifesaver on heavy movement fights like blade lord and Zor'Lok. On blade lord I use AE just as the unseen strike is about to hit allowing me to refresh stacks also during the pull in, I am able to keep stacks up with AE as well. My RoP uptime was also much greater than yours so you need that to come up as well.

worldoflogs /reports/bgsclr5vwir31ajs/details/37/?s=4828&e=5254

Had to post the logs this way since I am a new user.

Quote Originally Posted by Basca View Post
    I think one very underused tool for arcane mages is the Glyph of AE. This glyph is a lifesaver on heavy movement fights like blade lord and Zor'Lok. On blade lord I use AE just as the unseen strike is about to hit allowing me to refresh stacks also during the pull in, I am able to keep stacks up with AE as well.
    Don't know if its underused as almost every mage that I know uses it on fights that its useful on..

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Don't know if its underused as almost every mage that I know uses it on fights that its useful on..
    Sorry, I only go by the youtube videos of mages that I tend to follow or videos that I am using for research and I never see it. I could very well be wrong on this but to not see so many people not using it in these videos makes it seem underused to me. Either way it is a powerful tool in our toolbox to keep a 6 stack going on certain fights, underused or not.