1. #1
    High Overlord Voraliska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Currently in a time flux
    Posts
    131

    Advice on Tablet or Laptop

    I am going back to college to get my bachelors in nursing and trying to figure out what is the best thing to get for school. I am looking for something that will be easily portable, have a good battery life, and work well for writing papers and notes, as well as be able to do power point presentations. I have a 1000$ budget to spend toward it. I am just having a hard time between choosing a tablet or laptop. I do not know anything about tablets, but it seems everyone is using them now lol. So any advice on pros and cons for each would be very helpful to me in making my decision. Thank you in advance =)

  2. #2
    I would try find an Ultrabook with that budget. They are thin, light, relatively fast and have good battery time.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  3. #3
    High Overlord Codyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Meet me at Adams Morgan
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I would try find an Ultrabook with that budget. They are thin, light, relatively fast and have good battery time.
    I was thinking along the same lines. You are however going to get a lot of polarized results from asking here. Do you have any pull towards any specific company?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
    I was thinking along the same lines. You are however going to get a lot of polarized results from asking here. Do you have any pull towards any specific company?
    I've been looking at ASUS Zenbook UX3x series in a couple of stores and it feels really solid. There was a lot of hype over the HP Envy ultrabook a couple of mounts ago and while it looks good in pictures I personally don't like HP laptops after encountered so many bad Pavilions.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  5. #5
    High Overlord Voraliska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Currently in a time flux
    Posts
    131
    I have had nothing but bad experience with Hp over the years, but I have not actually owned a laptop in about 7 years so my knowledge is pretty much useless in that aspect. As long as it is windows compatible, I am not to picky. My desktop I built so that doesnt help either lol. Thats why I came to the forums to ask around, because in my searches on the web, they all look the same to me >.<

  6. #6
    High Overlord Codyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Meet me at Adams Morgan
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    I've been looking at ASUS Zenbook UX3x series in a couple of stores and it feels really solid. There was a lot of hype over the HP Envy ultrabook a couple of mounts ago and while it looks good in pictures I personally don't like HP laptops after encountered so many bad Pavilions.
    Ah nice, well there two points towards Asus for the OP. I've had an M51SN since 2008 (although I have a newer laptop now) and it still works perfectly. I also had a pretty bad experience with HP. My ex-GF owned an HP convertible that just kept having issue after issue and all they would ever do was replace the motherboard over and over; never again.

    OP I would go to a Best Buy or Apple store or even an MS store and just play around with what they have to offer. Seeing and playing with tablets/laptops in person helps so much more than any online review ever could.
    Last edited by Codyak; 2013-01-18 at 03:19 AM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Codyak View Post
    Ah nice, well there two points towards Asus for the OP. I've had an M51SN since 2008 (although I have a newer laptop now) and it still works perfectly. I also had a pretty bad experience with HP. My ex-GF owned an HP convertible that just kept having issue after issue and all they would ever do was replace the motherboard over and over; never again.

    OP I would go to a Best Buy or Apple store or even an MS store and just play around with what they have to offer. Seeing and playing with tablets/laptops in person helps so much more than any online review ever could.
    Oh yeah, you just reminded me about the Microsoft Surface Pro. It should be the perfect middle ground.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

  8. #8
    High Overlord Voraliska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Currently in a time flux
    Posts
    131
    Well thank you for the help guys, I will head to Best buy and play around and harass the workers, and check out the pro while I am there. Nothing is better than getting to touch a lot of toys while flirting with the cute guys that work there ^ ^

    /sigh just wish I had thought of that sooner lol

  9. #9
    High Overlord Codyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Meet me at Adams Morgan
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by Voraliska View Post
    Well thank you for the help guys, I will head to Best buy and play around and harass the workers, and check out the pro while I am there. Nothing is better than getting to touch a lot of toys while flirting with the cute guys that work there ^ ^

    /sigh just wish I had thought of that sooner lol
    I almost feel bad when I go there and find something I like then Amazon price match it on my phone for like a 20-50% discount, haha.

  10. #10
    I ended up snagging a 128g Surface Pro and I can say as far as WoW is concerned, it is incredible. Hooked up to my 47" HD via the Display Port and was playing at 1920x1080 with Fair settings with a few bumps up here and there and was getting 60FPS pretty much everywhere. I also play Diablo 3 which plays equally well, however Skyrim requires that I turn the settings almost to minimum to play at 1920x1080, but when i do, the game plays flawlessly. With all the games, I haven't had a ton of time to tweak the settings since I've only had it for a few days, and only picked up the display port adapter a few hours ago. I'm guessing with some closer attention to detail i could squeeze out considerably better visuals in all 3 games.

    With my type cover and bluetooth mouse, I can pretty much game anywhere now, not to mention have a pretty slick tablet and the ability to hook up to my TV and 27" 2560x1440 PC monitor =D

    You can dance. You can dance. Everyone look at your pants.

  11. #11
    Tablets have no keyboard, so it's a huge pain in the ass for any kind of writing. You definitely don't want to do 20 page papers on it.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •