Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] Dead Space 3

So the demo for Dead Space 3 was made available to the PS3 and 360 a couple of days ago, has anyone gotten around to play it? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Was it satisfying? And most importantly does it feel more creepy/scary like the first game or does it feel like just another resident evil 5 where the whole entire horror aspect has been thrown out the window and feels like just another shooter game?
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

Deleted
    Played it yesterday, wasn't impressed tbh. The action and visuals are pretty amazing as always, but the setting just doesn't feel scary to me at all. Obviously thi is just first impressions so there is plenty of potential for it to be scary later on, but from what I've played so far, I'm hoping it's not just going to become a lost planet rehash.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Played it yesterday, wasn't impressed tbh. The action and visuals are pretty amazing as always, but the setting just doesn't feel scary to me at all. Obviously thi is just first impressions so there is plenty of potential for it to be scary later on, but from what I've played so far, I'm hoping it's not just going to become a lost planet rehash.
    The scary thing ended in P1 like that's a given fact, Think they just wanna focus on you well butchering the necromorphs rather then the scary feel.

I'm going to go with the Resident Evil 5 option, but in my eyes that isn't a bad thing since it can still be enjoyable, even more so with the co-op. My issue with it is that there's no split-screen in it. If you're going to put emphasis on co-op you gotta have split-screen.

Been watching videos, and they've confirmed my disinterest in the game. The first was a spectacular horror game with some survival elements and some interesting elements (dismemberment being a cool way to kill enemies compared to the usual "shoot them in the head"). The second was alright and moved too much towards dudebro third person shooter and too far away from survival or horror. This though...it's a co-op dudebro third person shooter in a major way.

Visually it looks spectacular. But that's not enough to get me to buy a game. I'm sad to see the direction they took with the series as I thought they had the potential for a spectacular diet survival horror game to hopefully reinvigorate the genre a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmph Only 4 people responded so far and I already feel depressed about this game... I just watched a video showing some death scenes from the game and after I watched it I literally screamed "what the fuck!?" Are they getting soft on us now? Are they too pussy to throw in all of the gore and violence that we all loved from the past 2 games or what? I'm hoping that they didn't and the deaths looks kind of boring since it's just a demo >_>

There are enough action/shoot em up games out there for other people to play! DS is supposed to be a survival horror game that is supposed to keep you constantly guessing what is going to happen as soon as you open a door or go around a corner hoping that something isn't there ready to cut all your limbs off (or worse) and where enemies can come out of nowhere and you need to be constantly checking your six to make sure nothing is creeping up on you. So if #3 is going to be just like #2 (not saying that #2 was a total disaster) But I guess only time will tell...

I'm at least happy that you will be able to choose if you want to play solo or co-op, what a relief that is! Nothing pisses me off more than being almost forced to play the game with another person because you will be stuck with some dumb ass computer as a partner. Not to mention that it TOTALY kills the whole survival horror aspect of the game. The way that you can customize your weapons almost any way that you want looks very fun and promising as well.
    So good to be an ant who crawls atop a spinning rock
    Currently playing: Bioshock 2,Far Cry 3

People have to also remember that this is most likely midway or later into the game.

There are screenies of places reminiscent of DS1. I'm still waiting until a full release before condemning a segment of the game that was specifically (pretty obviously so) chosen for being a more action-type game that relied heavily on the co-op. They wanted to show off the co-op, so they're going to pick a part that shows it off. You don't need to play the game with another person. I'm not sure if Carver will be an AI or if you're just alone. Either way I don't care that much.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-01-18 at 06:17 AM.

Deleted
    Too much action, too little horror. Seems like another run if the mill shoot-many-zombies game.

10+ Year Old Account
    ill be honest it didnt look very appealing...
    I kinda like the new weapon-upgrade-feature aaand thats it...

They put most of their emphasis on the Co-op... I barely know anyone among my friends that owns a PS3... so I wont be playing Co-op... shit happens. wasted resources.

I think they did a good job, some of the features (co-op only though) sounds good... and yeah, it wont be as atmosspheric as Dead Space 1... simply because its not a big chunk of mystery as it was back then... we already know it will be necromorphs again, there will be a marker again and im 100% sure there will be a woman that betrays us...

beyond that Id have to say, that im uncertain whether it was good or bad to take this segment of the game as demo... I for one already knew this icy scenario from trailers... so it showed me nothing new and exciting...

but this also leaves more space for '?'...

I dont know, lets see and wait... I always tend to wait some good time before I buy or rent a game anyway...

Not sure about you guys, but I got a Lost Planet 3 demo with an Isaac Clarke skin.

Addendum: And no, that's not a shot at Lost Planet, which I think are awesome, if silly action games. If someone told me the Dead Space 3 demo was Lost Planet 3, I'd be like "Wow, what an awesome way to take the series.". As Dead Space 3 though, it just didn't feel right at all.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2013-01-18 at 09:20 AM.

Deleted
    Don't play consoles so don't have a demo yet but I watched a few youtube videos of people playing it - I don't think I'll be buying it on release day. When they announced it was 2 player co-op I was super excited, because sitting in a dark room with a friend listening to them scream sounded quite frankly, amazing... but then in future interviews they said they'd focused less on the survival horror feel and more on keeping up the pace and the action and I love action... but it really looks like it's lost something to me.

I will certainly pick it up at some time but I don't feel any overwhelming desire to get it on release.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what Visceral games were thinking, when EA told them that they're going to shut down the franchise, unless the third game sells at least 5 million copies.
    But apparently they panicked or something, and made quite a few bad decisions, and did a lot of bad things. They though that turning Dead Space into CoD Space would guarantee them the very needed sold copies, which it may actually do so, but they've effectively killed the game series by trying to save it.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

I only watched the demo on Youtube, both the solo and co-op version. PewDiePie for the solo, and Jesse Cox + Dodger for the co-op. The co-op doesn't differ that much from solo, outside of some new/other dialogue and a few more small cutscenes.

I don't think the beginning was as good as the ones from Dead Space 1 and 2, it wasn't that scary either. I like how gameplay wise they stick to their original formula, and improved it in many ways. Looking forward to build my own weapons.

I'm really looking forward to see the rest of the game, I'm sure there are a lot more suprises waiting for us. I probably won't be buying the game at launch, since I'll be saving for Crysis 3 first :P

Deleted
    iam not buying this full price ea games have fucked me over to many times.

@People saying that the game is no longer scary:

Well it's kinda hard to do that when you're doing sequels and everyone is already familiar with the DS series' monsters and the playstyle. The whole necromorph thing stopped being scary mid-level in DS1 anyways. But there is one level in the game I'm told is going to be scary and it resembles exploring a dead silent spaceship wreck, like the old Ishimura.

I for one liked the coop part, and I think it would be a blast playing on the harder difficulty modes (normal is a cakewalk right now, or maybe it's just the demo?)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by corebit View Post

Well it's kinda hard to do that when you're doing sequels and everyone is already familiar with the DS series' monsters and the playstyle. The whole necromorph thing stopped being scary mid-level in DS1 anyways. But there is one level in the game I'm told is going to be scary and it resembles exploring a dead silent spaceship wreck, like the old Ishimura.

I for one liked the coop part, and I think it would be a blast playing on the harder difficulty modes (normal is a cakewalk right now, or maybe it's just the demo?)
    Exactly. When I played the original Dead Space, I only played in spurts of about 15 minutes at a time. Just enough to keep it scary. However, on the first three day weekend I got after the game launched, I sat down and played it for almost 2 hours straight...at which point the whole game was, 'Oh look, an ominous dark corner. Bet there's a monster on the other side. Oh noz, a necromorph! Yay....this is fun....' Turn corner, kill necro. Turn corner, kill necro. The occasional zero-G section, kill big necro. Lather, rinse, repeat. I never even finished the game, it got so goddamn boring to me. I ended up watching the ending on youtube just so I didn't feel left out.

Then 2 came out, and a friend gifted it to me on Steam for my birthday. Started out pretty decent, I felt the controls handled slightly better in 2. But it ended up being the same damned thing. Turn, kill, turn, kill. BORING. The story in 2 was even more lackluster than the first one; it shouldn't be that way. The story in 1 was good, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't enough to keep me going. I guess I've just watched too many survival-horror lifeboat movies to know where it was going. I really very much wanted to like the Dead Space franchise, but somewhere along the lines, they lost me. If I ever get Dead Space 3, it will be for under $15 or someone will gift it to me. I wouldn't waste any more than that on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kind of glad they dumped the survival horror element. The necromorphs are just attention whores looking for screen time. "Look how scary I am! Watch all the weird things I can do with my body!" Just wasn't scary. So far Silent Hill is the champion of scary games imo.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-01-19 at 01:09 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's just call of dead space now. Least I have fond memories of 1 and 2. And by fond I mean I had to force myself to play through 1 because I'm a fraidy cat.

Then if it's not scary, don't call it a horror game or hype up the horror elements. You can still make the game scary without scary monsters. Dead Space 1 had a fantastic environment that lent itself to general creepyness, something that Dead Space 2 didn't have and Dead Space 3 doesn't appear to have.

You can absolutely keep a game frightening after multiple installments if you really want to. They apparently don't, and they shouldn't be marketing as anything having to do with horror. Hell, their marketing surrounding Dead Space 2 had little to do with horror and focused more on how it would gross your mom out. Because when I think of what games I want to play, I really want the game that will gross my mom out *eyeroll*

10+ Year Old Account

It's not the familiarity that's the issue. it's the delivery. Necros out of vents over and over gets really boring and is very obvious. Switch it up and make it scary, not startling or repetitive.