Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Gaming is not a Sport.

No matter what you attach at the beginning of the word Sport (esports etc etc etc), Gaming is not, and never will be a sport. Neither is Chess, Checkers, Board games, etc. I'm tired of people referencing gaming to equate sports. False.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport

^to refresh our memory on what a sport is.

I very much agree on this.

I will however state that gaming dosen't need the "sports label". If the E-trend continues I can forsee a world that acepts high-level playing inn around 25 years, as something legit, and not something us basement-dwellers only do, cause we're nerds and our lifes sucks etc
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2013-01-04 at 10:43 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

From your very own source:

Definition

The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources, with no universally agreed definition. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.
    SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]
    have an element of competition
    be in no way harmful to any living creature
    not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    not rely on any 'luck' element specifically designed in to the sport

They also recognise that sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1 or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports) or primarily animal supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]
    There has been an increase in the application of the term 'sport' to a wider set of non-physical challenges such as electronic sports, especially due to the large scale of participation and organised competition, but these are not widely recognised by mainstream sports organisations.

Linking to your own demise is never a good idea; read your own sources before trying to sound like a pretentious douche
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

Gaming is a sport.

/thread
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    They also recognise that sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1 or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports) or primarily animal supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]

This is from your wikipedia link! haha your wrong dude.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not exactly disagreeing with you but:

From the source:

However, a number of competitive, but non-physical, activities claim recognition as mind sports. The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports,

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you so much for this information.
    Ryzen 9 5900X/Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600 CL16/AORUS 1080 Ti Xtreme/Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi/Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240/Optane 900p 3D XPoint/EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2/Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL/Steelcase Leap/BenQ XL2411Z/Philips Fidelio X2HR/Noppoo Choc Mini (RIP Reckful)/Razer Viper Ultimate/QcK Heavy

Denounce your claim in your own post, nice.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Isn't basketball a game? Or soccer? That's why people say they are going to the game. Therefore, video games can also be considered a sport. Whether it's a single player timed run against other people, or a multiplayer game fighting each other or racing. Gaming is a sport.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

correct, games are not a sport they are an Esport.

en(dot)wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_sports

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ahh, a Wikipedia article linked as a basis of argument. I always love these posts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
    Webster's Dictionary says you are wrong.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sport
    No where in your webesters definition says that gaming or any other related activity is a sport. Next.

Quote Originally Posted by dejec1989 View Post
    correct, games are not a sport they are an Esport.

en(dot)wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_sports
    in Finnish the word for sport is esport.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EllishaPally View Post
    Not exactly disagreeing with you but:

From the source:

However, a number of competitive, but non-physical, activities claim recognition as mind sports. The International Olympic Committee (through ARISF) recognises both chess and bridge as bona fide sports,
    It says must be:

1) Competitive

2) Physical in nature

Pressing buttons and clicking a mouse isnt what i call "Physical in nature"

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    No where in your webesters definition says that gaming or any other related activity is a sport. Next.
    in your post it says gaming is a sport next.

---------- Post added 2013-01-04 at 09:50 PM ----------

It says must be:

1) Competitive

2) Physical in nature

Pressing buttons and clicking a mouse isnt what i call "Physical in nature"
    neither is driving or chess, but those are both considered sports so yeah.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    Why did you ignore all of the other valid responses and pick only that one?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Gaming is a sport.

/thread
    Gamdwelf, get out of my threads. All you do is like to cause havoc and be rude in every one of my posts. If thats all you want to do, then dont post. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    From your very own source:

Definition

The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources, with no universally agreed definition. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.
    SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]
    have an element of competition
    be in no way harmful to any living creature
    not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    not rely on any 'luck' element specifically designed in to the sport

There has been an increase in the application of the term 'sport' to a wider set of non-physical challenges such as electronic sports, especially due to the large scale of participation and organised competition, but these are not widely recognised by mainstream sports organisations.

Linking to your own demise is never a good idea; read your own sources before trying to sound like a pretentious douche
    Waiting for Jaylock's rebuttal to this post. Seems he skipped you and went to the one below to avoid conflict.

Ok. Thanks.
    That guy (>'.')>

WoW Cinematics : WotLK>WoD=MoP>Vanilla=Cataclysm>TBC