Thread: 5.2 PvE catchup

5.2 PvE catchup

Well I just read the good news for PvP changes for 5.2 about catch up and gearing, and indeed is very great news.

I'm just really concerned with PvE.
    They increased the JP earned you get from each Pandaria heroic boss to 100, but they'll be removing the upgrade NPC so..
    and the only things that you can buy with Justice Points are 458 gear.

Do they expect just because they added up new heirlooms that that's where the JP is gonna go?

At this point, we're just gonna end up converting all JP that we have to honor and just buy 476 malevolent gears.

25%/50% vp discount doesn't really help , now that there's gonna be new faction/factions that will sell better ones, we'll focus on getting those.

10+ Year Old Account
    PVE doesn't need a lot catch ups aside from what we have and what they are introducing in 5.2. Read the patch notes and you''ll know. If you expect to get fee gear because you are catching up in PVE, you are in for diassapointment. PVE is about the progression and the grind. The tools are there, and there will be more. Dont need anything else. Also how does faster VP/JP doesnt help? wat?
    Last edited by Shampro; 2013-01-18 at 04:12 AM.

How to catch up for 5.2 -

Run heroics for 463 gear.

Run random scenarios in order to get: http://www.wowhead.com/item=92813#contains:0-2-16+1
    Contains some 450 items, but it's mostly heroics (463) and more importantly some EPICS (476).

Do all of Townlong and Dread Waste non-daily quests. You'll hit Honored with Shado-Pan and Klaxxi and you'll gain access to VP cloak and neck. Assuming you have full 463 + two 489 pieces, brings you up to 466.5.

You'll need a minimum of four (4) 476 pieces to reach 470. If you manage to do Sha of Anger, you only need 3 pieces from LFR. I'll explain later.

What can you do?

- LFR. It only needs 460 to do the MSV
    - Sha of Anger. Even if you don't get anything, the first time will drop a quest item that you can turn in for FREE 476 boots.
    - Random scenarios still have a chance to reward 476 epics from their treasure chest.
    - You could also play the AH if you've got the gold

I also suggest doing Shieldwall dailies (or the Horde equivalent). The dailies are easy, the grind isn't hard and at honored you can buy a 496 ring with VP.
    Moreover, you can find a group to do the rare spawns who drop PVP trinkets which are 483.

So - once you hit 470, continue doing what you're doing until you hit 480. Hit exalted with Shieldwall (or Horde equivalent) since their VP items are 496 while the others are 489.

Once you hit 480, you are set to do LFR for Throne of Thunder when 5.2 hits.

Out of all the factions that exist in Pandaria, you only need to really grind one and it's not even a grind. You can see that the reduced VP cost is pretty helpful in reaching your goal of 480.

They are greatly increasing drop rate for 5.0 LFR gear also.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It does seem odd that they are greatly increasing JP gains but old valor gear will still cost valor (although not as much). I've been LFR'ing my ass off since I can't raid and I've only now managed to crack 480 with 3 valor pieces 1 rep reward 1 sha tier piece and crafted items. That's a steep road to expect a post 5.2 alt (or resub) to climb to get into current content. Unless they are gonna double LFR drop rates, it's not going to be fun.
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    How to catch up for 5.2 -

Run heroics for 463 gear.

Run random scenarios in order to get: http://www.wowhead.com/item=92813#contains:0-2-16+1
    Contains some 450 items, but it's mostly heroics (463) and more importantly some EPICS (476).

Do all of Townlong and Dread Waste non-daily quests. You'll hit Honored with Shado-Pan and Klaxxi and you'll gain access to VP cloak and neck. Assuming you have full 463 + two 489 pieces, brings you up to 466.5.

You'll need a minimum of four (4) 476 pieces to reach 470. If you manage to do Sha of Anger, you only need 3 pieces from LFR. I'll explain later.

What can you do?

- LFR. It only needs 460 to do the MSV
    - Sha of Anger. Even if you don't get anything, the first time will drop a quest item that you can turn in for FREE 476 boots.
    - Random scenarios still have a chance to reward 476 epics from their treasure chest.
    - You could also play the AH if you've got the gold

I also suggest doing Shieldwall dailies (or the Horde equivalent). The dailies are easy, the grind isn't hard and at honored you can buy a 496 ring with VP.
    Moreover, you can find a group to do the rare spawns who drop PVP trinkets which are 483.

So - once you hit 470, continue doing what you're doing until you hit 480. Hit exalted with Shieldwall (or Horde equivalent) since their VP items are 496 while the others are 489.

Once you hit 480, you are set to do LFR for Throne of Thunder when 5.2 hits.

Out of all the factions that exist in Pandaria, you only need to really grind one and it's not even a grind. You can see that the reduced VP cost is pretty helpful in reaching your goal of 480.
    Just skip all this and grind bgs once 5.2 releases for full 476 gear. You'll only need 4 more ilvls to do the new lfr then. You can get that by buying the new valor pieces and killing the new world boss, both of which should have about 515 ilvl pve gear and world boss also has about 502 ilvl pvp gear.

You can also get your conquest cap for the 502 ilvl pvp gear in addition to your valor. Doing this it shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks of capping conquest and valor to get into the new lfr for a fresh 90 if you have bad luck with world boss drops.
    Last edited by Destructus; 2013-01-18 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Destructus View Post
    Just skip all this and grind bgs once 5.2 releases for full 476 gear. You'll only need 4 more ilvls to do the new lfr then. You can get that by buying the new valor pieces and killing the new world boss, both of which should have about 515 ilvl pve gear and world boss also has about 502 ilvl pvp gear.

You can also get your conquest cap for the 502 ilvl pvp gear in addition to your valor. Doing this it shouldn't take more than 2-3 weeks of capping conquest and valor to get into the new lfr for a fresh 90 if you have bad luck with world boss drops.
    I thought they changed it so PVP gear doesn't count towards ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    I thought they changed it so PVP gear doesn't count towards ilvl.
    Nope. They made a post about nerfing the ilvl of the new honor gear from 483 to 476 to prevent people from just grinding honor to get into 5.2 lfr. The problem with their fix is 476 is still easily raised to 480 with a couple weeks of capping points and doing 483 lfrs with the doubled drop rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Destructus View Post

Just a side note, you won't be able to do dailies to raise the rep required for the new valor items which brings the assumption that the required rep will be from ToT. You could still do 5.1 rep though for 496 ilvl which should still help a bit.

Actually my main point is, where will our Justice points go? They removed upgrade NPC, and the only gear accessible is 458 gears which would be trash basically when we get to 5.2 . They usually make the previous tier to JP, that's how we usually catch up.

LFR is still RNG. You can have bad luck, even if they double the chance , it is still based on probability. (based on my exp that I had to kill Rivendare 240 times for the mount, and Slabhide 199 times for the Vitreous, 35 Mysterious camels and still no mount. 1 month of double gold from Sha/Galleon.)

I'd have to agree I'd stick with converting my JP to honor in order to buy 476 Malevolent gears which would be much better than 458/463 heroic gears.

The catch up next tier is fine. Just do heroics then the old LFRs. The old LFRs will also have increased loot acquisition rate. Once you've run the old LFRs a couple times you can do the 5.0 raids and the new LFR. It's really not that hard to catch up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponkie View Post
    Well I just read the good news for PvP changes for 5.2 about catch up and gearing, and indeed is very great news.

I'm just really concerned with PvE.
    They increased the JP earned you get from each Pandaria heroic boss to 100, but they'll be removing the upgrade NPC so..
    and the only things that you can buy with Justice Points are 458 gear.

Do they expect just because they added up new heirlooms that that's where the JP is gonna go?

At this point, we're just gonna end up converting all JP that we have to honor and just buy 476 malevolent gears.

25%/50% vp discount doesn't really help , now that there's gonna be new faction/factions that will sell better ones, we'll focus on getting those.
    Yeah another pointless decision from Blizzard.
    If they don't like the old catching mechanism they could have gotten rid of JP alltogether.
    But that goes perfectly well with the earning of VP you can't spend if you don't have rep.

Deleted
    Well theres "new" heirlooms you get from updating current ones with JP so at least i spend some points on those.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Last I heard 5.2 LFR requires 480.

5.0 LFR gives 483, so if you have a full set of LFR gear you're good.
    5.0 VP gear is 458.
    5.1 VP gear is 490-something.
    5.2 VP gear is probably going to be about the same as 5.1, or higher.

So pretty much as of 5.2 you can stop farming the 5.0 reps if you want and move onto DO/OSW and the Kirin'tor/Sunreaver hubs. Use 5.0 LFR to fill in holes as you go.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletroll View Post
    Well theres "new" heirlooms you get from updating current ones with JP so at least i spend some points on those.
    The thing is all my 11 toons are 85+ so. No need for the upgraded Heirlooms for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Last I heard 5.2 LFR requires 480.

5.0 VP gear is 458.
    I think you meant 5.0 VP gear is 489, or 5.0 JP gear is 458.
    Last edited by Ponkie; 2013-01-20 at 08:56 AM.

They're increasing the drop rate in t14 LFR.
    1st daily and scenario a day will give rep for a faction.
    Current VP gear price is being reduced.

Seems fine to me. 480 isn't that high.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Seems fine to me. 480 isn't that high.
    You'll have 1-2 weeks before LFR is even open, and another week to run it, so at the least you could do 10+ days of dailies + whatever, with the new PvE rewards, to get to 480.

It's actually easy to gear. I don't know why we need a catch-up mechanic. I re-rolled, after I quit playing for almost 2 months, a Shaman. I hit 90 yesterday morning, around maybe 4 in the morning. Since then, I'm 473, that' with the DMF trinket, and 2 496 pieces, heroics, and LFR MSV (1 pieces) and LFR HOF and TOES (2 pieces), and some upgrade gear. It took less than 2 days, I'll be 475 when I replace these last 2 450 items, and when I do MSV next week. It's easy, with 475 my guild will take me in for HOF and will pretty much get geared from there.

Quote Originally Posted by ExLancer View Post
    It's actually easy to gear. I don't know why we need a catch-up mechanic. I re-rolled, after I quit playing for almost 2 months, a Shaman. I hit 90 yesterday morning, around maybe 4 in the morning. Since then, I'm 473, that' with the DMF trinket, and 2 496 pieces, heroics, and LFR MSV (1 pieces) and LFR HOF and TOES (2 pieces), and some upgrade gear. It took less than 2 days, I'll be 475 when I replace these last 2 450 items, and when I do MSV next week. It's easy, with 475 my guild will take me in for HOF and will pretty much get geared from there.
    Two random 496 pieces from where? Also the great majority of players can't afford a DMF trinket even now.