Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    I was JUST having this discussion with my fiance. I figure it's harder for some of us to find out how BBC leans though. Sometimes it's easy, but other times... eh, I get lost in their politics at times.
    They lean towards sensationalism.

They're tax-payer funded, so they want to make certain they get the Tax Payers a good story. That means over-embelishing everything to make it seem like their tax-dollars are giving them detailed news, when they're really not getting detailed news.

This is why they seem to not "lean"... because they treat either side with the same level of exaggeration and embellishment for the purpose of giving an entertaining gripping story.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-01-18 at 06:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer to just get my news online from various sources, there tends to be less spin and bias that way. You watch Fox, CNN, MSNBC, Daily Show, and Colbert for the horribly obvious bias and entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Agreed, his bits are always great. See the one about investigative journalism at CNN? was depressing and hilarious at the same time.
    That was a really great piece, and it makes me sad that the people who attempt to bring us news have forgotten what journalism is about.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stewart's segment titles are the best.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    They lean towards sensationalism.

They're tax-payer funded, so they want to make certain they get the Tax Payers a good story. That means over-embelishing everything to make it seem like their tax-dollars are giving them detailed news, when they're really not getting detailed news.

This is why they seem to not "lean"... because they treat either side with the same level of exaggeration and embellishment for the purpose of giving an entertaining gripping story.
    There's nothing sensationalist about BBC. Your babbling about "exaggerating both sides" makes no sense whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    O'Reilly has been on the Daily Show several times, and they even held a debate on internet stream. I'm pretty sure Stewart and O'Reilly are actually friends.
    Stewart frequently visits the Mayor of Bullshit Mountain

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's sad, I used to like watching Jon Stewart and Colbert, but I can't anymore. They have been sliding left more and more. They are by no means unbiased, and I would venture to say Jon Stewart is farther left than CNN and Colbert equal to CNN. Yea Stewart "sometimes" rips on liberals, but 1 out of 20 is not unbiased, it's an attempt to look unbiased. I also used to think that Colbert was supposed be be mocking O'reilly so you would think it would be hard core right to be funny, but its not even close.

Anyway, I don't watch major news stations anymore because they are so biased and sensor out information that looks bad to their side. I try to find my news online from as unbiased sources as I can, which is difficult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon8 View Post
    It's sad, I used to like watching Jon Stewart and Colbert, but I can't anymore. They have been sliding left more and more. They are by no means unbiased, and I would venture to say Jon Stewart is farther left than CNN and Colbert equal to CNN. Yea Stewart "sometimes" rips on liberals, but 1 out of 20 is not unbiased, it's an attempt to look unbiased. I also used to think that Colbert was supposed be be mocking O'reilly so you would think it would be hard core right to be funny, but its not even close.

Anyway, I don't watch major news stations anymore because they are so biased and sensor out information that looks bad to their side. I try to find my news online from as unbiased sources as I can, which is difficult.
    I don't think anyone denies that Stewart leans left.

That said, I think it's wrong to suggest Stewart's show has been sliding to the left, and more correct to say the right has been sliding towards the "easy to make fun of." As people come out saying things like women's bodies protect them from getting pregnant in cases of "legitimate rape," you can't really avoid making fun of that. And there have been more and more cases of such things coming from the right.

When Anthony Weiner facebooked his weiner, Stewart also made fun of that. When Kerry cockblocked a bill to get aid to Sandy victims, Stewart made fun of that. It's not that Stewart is becoming more leftist (though he is a bit leftist), it's that the right is just so much funnier.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    They all have their biases. I can tell you FOR SURE that Jon Stewart is a flaming liberal, and his interviews and shows tend to go that way because
    A. It gives the widest audience range and
    B. Gives that audience range what it wants in terms of political comedy and news.

I, on the the other hand think it's sad that today's youth is not educated or motivated enough to learn to filter the b.s from the actual news, and resort to satires/comedy shows with an obvious bias to get their news.
    I'd rather watch people saying the news trying to be funny then being funny for what they think, like normal news programs

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

That said, I think it's wrong to suggest Stewart's show has been sliding to the left, and more correct to say the right has been sliding towards the "easy to make fun of." As people come out saying things like women's bodies protect them from getting pregnant in cases of "legitimate rape," you can't really avoid making fun of that. And there have been more and more cases of such things coming from the right.

When Anthony Weiner facebooked his weiner, Stewart also made fun of that. When Kerry cockblocked a bill to get aid to Sandy victims, Stewart made fun of that. It's not that Stewart is becoming more leftist (though he is a bit leftist), it's that the right is just so much funnier.
    I think the real thing is currently, Republicans are the opposition, the minority. So the cameras are more focused on them as they try to gain attention and the kooky things they say get reported, misinterpreted and ridiculed.

Despite his liberal bent, I bet Stewart will stll get his kicks the next time a Republican is in the White House and Democrats say increasingly dumb things.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post

I deny Stewart leans left. He is to the right of me!

Has anyone seen John Stewart Debate? He completely destroys his opponent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shop Ebay View Post
    Has anyone seen John Stewart Debate? He completely destroys his opponent.
    He's smart, assertive, and quick on his toes. You kind of have to be if you want to be a semi-impromptu comedian. He has to come up with funny quips on the fly in his interviews nearly every night, so it makes sense that he'd be good at doing something similar in a debate format.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every news channel is biased in some way or another. What I like about Colbert and Stewart is that you can tell when they are clearly being funny and when they are being serious. Regular news channels are funny because of how much bias they have, its a delicate difference=].
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    With those two, you at least know that they are doing comedy at certain points and real news in others.

The others . . . . . . not so much.
    It's not really as if they're making up news stories.. They get the stories, then make funny, ironic, comedian comments about said stories. They don't just make shit up as they go along.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Jon Steward and Steven Colbert have been the most objective for years. They aren't liberal, they just have a bias against stupid. When a democrat does something dumb they go after them too/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    It's not really as if they're making up news stories.. They get the stories, then make funny, ironic, comedian comments about said stories. They don't just make shit up as they go along.
    Eh, most of the time they're making fun of the news as reported by other channels, but they do, in fact, do their own investigations sometimes, which is great. They're also really really good at pulling out historical clips to put what people are saying/doing into context, which the news networks are often not as good at doing.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    At least in the United States

I also find aljazeera english and BBC pretty good too

but for real. the daily show and colbert report, both run by comedians.... are more trust worthy news sources than Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc

discuss
    I fully agree, I just wish their was a way to get the majority of Americans watching all of the above news sources on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    I fully agree, I just wish their was a way to get the majority of Americans watching all of the above news sources on a regular basis.
    Good luck with that, Aljazeera buys current tv and then providers in the states drop the channel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stewart or Colbert were mocked once about this. Somebody said something along the lines of how fucked up is this generation that it turns to a comedy show to get its news. They replied in kind, how badly did the previous fuck things up that the next generation had to go to comedy shows to get real news?