My journey to lose weight!

Hi,

My name is James and I am 26 years old. I have had enough of my lifestyle
    and have decided to lose weight. I currently weight 230lb and wish to lose
    ATLEAST 50 pounds within the next 5 months which is when i am getting worried.

Has anyone had any exp here losing weight?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, good luck mate! Try not to eat more than you need, but above all, move your body. Do sports to healthily lose weight. Do not go for the cheap shortcut of drugs or other nonsense stuff, these are only money traps. Try to keep a calm head about it and don't let others tell you otherwise. Just focus and never give up.

Deleted
    I lost 55 pounds in a year.
    A good diet ( no fad diets ) and exercise is what you need.

---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by impolddip View Post
    Hi,

My name is James and I am 26 years old. I have had enough of my lifestyle
    and have decided to lose weight. I currently weight 230lb and wish to lose
    ATLEAST 50 pounds within the next 5 months which is when i am getting worried.

Has anyone had any exp here losing weight?
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James!
    Dont lose 50 pounds in 5 months.... Its not a "safe" weight loss.

Weight loss should be to become healthy, not just to lose it.

50 pounds in 5 months seems like a crazy lot. Unless you're jobless/schoolless and can exercise 2-3 times a day while also maintaining a great diet.

But if you do have school or a job that seems like a little too high of a goal.

While these forum containe many peoplewanting to help, your best bet is seeking a professional to help.

Drop all the bad shit, do a three day juice diet to cleanse your system. Shop the outside border of the grocery store, and you'll be good. Why the outside border? Ever notice all the bad stuff is in the middle of the store. Along the borders of a grocery, you'll find fruits & veggies (eat a lot of these,) fish, lean meats, breads (stick to whole grains.)

If you cannot pronounce an ingredient, or have no idea what it is, it shouldn't be in your body.

Aside from diet, exercise is key. We've all heard it before; burn more calories than you take in. You can't do this by sitting behind a desk all day and evening.

50 pounds in 5 month, is doable but not recommended. As long as you're feeding yourself the correct foods it is not as unhealthy to lose that kind of weight in a short time, as people would think. It does, however, take a ton of dedication.

Deleted
    1. Calculate how much calories you should take per day (maintenance)

2a. Consume about 250 to 500 calories less than that number.
    -OR-
    2b. Eat at maintenance level but burn the same amount of calories each day.

3. HAVE DISCIPLINE, DO NOT GIVE UP AND NEVER BE SATISFIED

4. ???

5. Profit. You just lost weight.

Deleted
    Just by getting rid of crisps, cakes, cookies, fried food, takeaways and soda (even diet sodas, they are just as bad for you!) will make a massive difference. You will feel a bit weak and tired for a few days (and will probably get headaches as well) but after that you'll be glad you've stopped. Allow yourself either one day a week or one day a month to treat yourself - doesn't mean that you can consume 5000 calories during your treat day but be a bit less strict with what you eat. Right now I aim to eat 1200-1400 calories a day with my treat days being 2000 calories, so it's not a massive amount of food. Just be sensible with what you eat, get rid of the processed junk and enjoy your life. Getting your diet in order is the first big step, don't go all out instantly. When you feel comfortable, start adding exercise to your life in small doses. It's a marathon, not a sprint!
    Last edited by mmoc67ac8067f4; 2013-01-19 at 04:14 PM.

Don't attempt to lose that much that fast, and focus on health more than weight. If you shed 25 pounds and can comfortably run five miles, wouldn't that be better than losing 50 pounds, but still not having fitness?

Honestly, cardio is your best friend. Mix in lightweight training. What I am currently doing for a friend of mine is M-W-F 2 mile run with (Monday) light chest workout, 4 sets of 10 with 4 exercises. Tuesday, Back workout no running with the same 4 sets of 10 with 4 exercises. Wednesday, Triceps with a 2 mile run after the weight training. Thursday, Biceps. Friday, Back and core workout with a 2mile run. By week 8 I will be moving up the running distance to 2.5 miles.

A common misconception is that cardio alone will make you shed weight fast. You need to look at the total body concept and target each part seperately and maintain cardio. Btw, this is the same workout I was on when I was 5'6" and 270. It will be rough at first but find something to keep you going. By week 2-3 you should have adjusted and you just have to fight the boredom during the run.

In the 4 weeks my friend has been on this workout routine he has lost 15 lbs so far but do NOT use this as a benchmark to gauge your success. Everyone will lose weight at different intervals because of many factors. Just remember your goal and what it means to you and it will help you push through the pain and sweat. Good luck to you and hope you can attain your goal!
    Last edited by Zechs-cenarius; 2013-01-19 at 04:19 PM.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Don't attempt to lose that much that fast, and focus on health more than weight. If you shed 25 pounds and can comfortably run five miles, wouldn't that be better than losing 50 pounds, but still not having fitness?
    Not if your goal is to look good in clothing.

50 lbs in 5 months is very hard for someone who isnt a seasoned athlete. Professional bodybuilders can lose that much because they have the mental fortitude and muscle mass to help them do it as well as illegal drugs to help them out. A normal person CAN lose that much that quickly but it wont be maintainable when you get that low and you will likely regain it. Try to focus on losing around 1-2 lbs a week while maintaining a good exercise routine. You can lose that much more healthily in around 8 months.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    Not if your goal is to look good in clothing.

50 lbs in 5 months is very hard for someone who isnt a seasoned athlete. Professional bodybuilders can lose that much because they have the mental fortitude and muscle mass to help them do it as well as illegal drugs to help them out. A normal person CAN lose that much that quickly but it wont be maintainable when you get that low and you will likely regain it. Try to focus on losing around 1-2 lbs a week while maintaining a good exercise routine. You can lose that much more healthily in around 8 months.
    Its dependent of what they are using to lose that weight. If they are using Thermogenics chances are yes they will regain it. If they are losing it due to sheer will power during exercise then chances are no they will not regain it. The #1 trick that people fall into is the use of thermogenics(Im looking at you hydroxycut) to shed the weight quick.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

Deleted
    Make a food diary, there's one called myfitnesspal which is online and an app which is effective.

Catalogue everything and give yourself a calorie deficit, you'll lose the weight soon enough.

Always remember though that Weight = Muscle and Fat, and muscle is a hell of a lot harder to put on than fat.

Losing more than 1.5-2 pounds a week means you're losing muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Zechs-cenarius View Post
    Its dependent of what they are using to lose that weight. If they are using Thermogenics chances are yes they will regain it. If they are losing it due to sheer will power during exercise then chances are no they will not regain it. The #1 trick that people fall into is the use of thermogenics(Im looking at you hydroxycut) to shed the weight quick.
    No, it is fairly easy to learn to be hungry all the time and starve yourself to losing 50 lbs quickly. It is much harder to learn how much food you actually need. Maintenance is harder than dieting for a lot of people.