Thread: Property Taxes

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Over 9000!
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9,367

    Property Taxes

    How much is it where you live?

    I own a plot but there is nothing built on it at all, it's just a wild grown area(blueberries grow there though yay!), very close to the sea, lovely country really, but nothing built there, the estimated value of the plot is a little bit over 600.000 SEK, or around $90.000, since nothing is built on it I pay 1% in taxes on the estimated value of the plot, which gives me a little bit over 6000 SEK per year, or around $900.

    How does that compare to where you guys live?
    Shit like this actually goes through your fucking brain?

  2. #2
    My parents own a plot of land in a resort area and they have to pay about 1,000 something a year. But I think it was for HOA fees not property tax, so I am not sure if that even helps.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    How much is it where you live?

    I own a plot but there is nothing built on it at all, it's just a wild grown area(blueberries grow there though yay!), very close to the sea, lovely country really, but nothing built there, the estimated value of the plot is a little bit over 600.000 SEK, or around $90.000, since nothing is built on it I pay 1% in taxes on the estimated value of the plot, which gives me a little bit over 6000 SEK per year, or around $900.

    How does that compare to where you guys live?
    I pay around $10,000 for my primary residence and another $15,000+ for other properties. I collectively own about 1.25 acres.

    Then again I live in New Jersey. Hooray for the highest tax burden in the nation.

  4. #4
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,165
    I rent an apartment, so no idea! But probably a ridiculous amount lol

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I rent an apartment, so no idea! But probably a ridiculous amount lol
    Oh you pay the property taxes. They're baked right into your rent.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,125
    Property tax should be abolished for the lot where the owner resides in my opinion. This would make ownership a real ownership for the purpose of accommodation, but still tax those that use properties for profit and investment.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 05:28 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Oh you pay the property taxes. They're baked right into your rent.
    True. Though it's buried deep (at least in apartment living), inside the housing coalitions maintenance fee, and thus pretty damn hard to find out.
    President of the local chapter of World Beard and Moustache Association

    Skype, PS3 & Steam - Whiteington

  7. #7
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Oh you pay the property taxes. They're baked right into your rent.
    Along with about 50 other people. And I never said I don't pay a portion of the property tax, just that I have no idea what the building's owner pays. Why must you argue everything?

  8. #8
    Tax rates for residential land: 0.0061658. Average house price is around $430,000. Multiply one by the other: roughly $2,500. Is there any meaningful discussion that can come from this or did you just want to mention you bought a little bit of undeveloped property?
    A new UI series for 5.2Steal my old UILearn about WeakAuras • Nobody to raid with right now so no PVE videos.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Along with about 50 other people. And I never said I don't pay a portion of the property tax, just that I have no idea what the building's owner pays. Why must you argue everything?
    I don't know

  10. #10
    Over 9000!
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    9,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I pay around $10,000 for my primary residence and another $15,000+ for other properties. I collectively own about 1.25 acres.

    Then again I live in New Jersey. Hooray for the highest tax burden in the nation.
    Thats quite a bit! ;P
    I thought california etc would be more expensive?
    Is NJ GOP or Dem?

    Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Is there any meaningful discussion that can come from this or did you just want to mention you bought a little bit of undeveloped property?
    Well I'm just curious, nothing wrong with that?
    Owned it for a long time, it was a gift.



    ---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 04:45 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    Property tax should be abolished for the lot where the owner resides in my opinion. This would make ownership a real ownership for the purpose of accommodation, but still tax those that use properties for profit and investment.
    I agree, but that will not happen.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-01-18 at 03:47 PM.
    Shit like this actually goes through your fucking brain?

  11. #11
    The Insane Cattaclysmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Århus
    Posts
    17,514
    I dont know. I live in a dorm. Pay $420 a month. That includes interweb and some TV channels and free telephoning between other colleges using the same supplier. So what i pay in property tax is probably minimal as it is shared.

  12. #12
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Thats quite a bit! ;P
    I thought california etc would be more expensive?
    Is NJ GOP or Dem?


    I agree, but that wont happen.
    Jersey has a Republican governor, 2 Democrat Senators, 6 Democrat House Reps, 6 Republican House Reps. In presidential elections, they almost always go Democrat.

  13. #13
    In Toronto the residential property tax rate is about 0.77% based on a market-value assessment of your property. My home has been valued at around $500K, so I will pay roughly $3850. That's about $1000 higher than it was about 10 years ago due to a combination of rising tax rates and rising property value.

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,385
    Eh I don't pay that much here in Queens, but I hear Long Island property tax is crazy. Like $3000 a year. Sort of stops my parents from moving there. The reason the tax is so high there is because they're supposed to have good schools and the neighborhoods are supposed to be nice, but lol if you don't have kids taking advantage of those schools it sucks to be there.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Thats quite a bit! ;P
    I thought california etc would be more expensive?
    Is NJ GOP or Dem?
    NJ is about as blue as a state can get.

  16. #16
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Eh I don't pay that much here in Queens, but I hear Long Island property tax is crazy. Like $3000 a year. Sort of stops my parents from moving there. The reason the tax is so high there is because they're supposed to have good schools and the neighborhoods are supposed to be nice, but lol if you don't have kids taking advantage of those schools it sucks to be there.
    Long Island is bad when you get out in Suffolk Country. I imagine it's the Hamptons that drives up property taxes like crazy.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Long Island is bad when you get out in Suffolk Country. I imagine it's the Hamptons that drives up property taxes like crazy.
    nope, Nassau is higher

    but it's usually depends on lot size, square footage and value of the home
    it's the school tax out in LI that makes it redonkulous

    here's NYC's
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/pro...es_rates.shtml
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/pro...alculate.shtml
    Last edited by sheffield; 2013-01-18 at 06:15 PM.

  18. #18
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    nope, Nassau is higher
    Really? I did my undergrad studies at Hofstra. A lot of Nassau is a dump... lol

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Really? I did my undergrad studies at Hofstra. A lot of Nassau is a dump... lol
    the other way around.. drive along Northern Blvd (Rt 25A) and you'll see some baller neighborhoods (munsey park, sands point, muttontown, cold spring harbor (althought i think that's suffolk)

    and wierdly, those crappy towns along the south shore pay lots of taxes

  20. #20
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,165
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    the other way around.. drive along Northern Blvd (Rt 25A) and you'll see some baller neighborhoods (munsey park, sands point, muttontown, cold spring harbor (althought i think that's suffolk)
    Guess I missed those places lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •