Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Cool Questions about MoP

PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT A RANT BUT A GENUINE QUESTION

Hello MMO-champs!

I quit wow about a year ago due to lack of interest and spare time. Now since the new expansion came my interest has slowly come back, but I still have very limited spare time. Anyways, I would like to hear your opinion on the following subjects, if its worth coming back. Also please forgive me if some of it should be obvious, but I've just barely read the headlines since MoP and there's probably a lot I've missed. Here is what I expect to do, if I start playing again:

1. Questing. How is questing in Pandaria? Linear or open? Good lore etc? I heard group quests has been replaced by some kind of mini PUG scenario thing?

2. Exploring. How big is Pandaria? Does it encourage exploring? Many "hidden" quests, caves, other goodies?

3. Soloing old content. Is this still possible? What can an average geared level 90 expect to solo? This is for some reason one of my favorite things to do.

4. Collecting stuff, pets, mounts, achievements etc. I expect there's lots of new stuff to collect? Whats the point of pet combats?

5. World PVP. I play exclusively on RP-PVP servers. Is world PVP still dead? I understand some zones are shared within battlegroups or something(?)

6. RP. Still somewhat functional, I hope...

7. Is the monk class any fun? Easy to get the hang of, for someone who have played mostly rogues all since vanilla?

I don't need advice on top tier PVP or raiding, since I have no expectation to ever get there.
    Any kind of constructive feedback on these points would be highly appreciated. Thank you

Deleted
    Hey there,

I myself just started again 3 weeks ago after a period of 7 months not playing.
    So I'll try to answer what I can since I'm not 90 yet due to little time playing.

1. Questing. How is questing in Pandaria? Linear or open? Good lore etc? I heard group quests has been replaced by some kind of mini PUG scenario thing?
    Personally questing is fun in Pandaria, different stages which open several new paths. Haven't done the scenario thing yet so can't say a thing about that.

2. Exploring. How big is Pandaria? Does it encourage exploring? Many "hidden" quests, caves, other goodies?
    Pandaria is about the same size as Northrend, the ability to find pandarian treasures so for me it's sweet.

3. Soloing old content. Is this still possible? What can an average geared level 90 expect to solo? This is for some reason one of my favorite things to do.
    Haven't done any but I think it's doable to do quite a bit.

4. Collecting stuff, pets, mounts, achievements etc. I expect there's lots of new stuff to collect? Whats the point of pet combats?
    Yay for more mounts, pets and new achievements. Pet combat? haven't done any but my guildies seem to like it quite a bit.

5. World PVP. I play exclusively on RP-PVP servers. Is world PVP still dead? I understand some zones are shared within battlegroups or something(?)
    I'm on a PvE server so can't help you there

Never done RP so no idea..

7. Is the monk class any fun? Easy to get the hang of, for someone who have played mostly rogues all since vanilla?
    So far my monk is only level 12 and at this points is pretty fun playing one. Fairly easy to get the hang of it I guess.

This thread will fill up with posts from haters telling you it sucks and fanboys telling you its the best its ever been. The only way to tell is to risk a whole 15 dollars and try it out for yourself and see how *you* feel about it. Don't trust others opinons, screenshots or youtube videos as to wether you will find enjoyment in a video game.

Deleted
    1. Questing is mostly linear, Lore is above average for Blizzard standards. Good amount of grind but also some gems that really deliver in the storytelling compartment.

2. There's a lot of stuff to explore and hidden goodies crammed in almost every corner that's not occupied by some quest objective.

3. Stil very much dependent on class / spec, reduced gold-return but very much possible and enjoyable.

4. Pet battles are pretty much Pokemon implementet in WoW. I never liked the idea, but i have to admit that it's well done and if you like that kind of game you'll be in for a treat. Also tons of collectables and vanity stuff ( many quests reward some fun items - for example: after dealing with yaks for several quests you'll get an item to call your very own pissed-off yak every 30 minutes)

5. I cannot reliably coment on this - but a great amount of whining about gankers seems to point to world pvp being somewhat alive again.

6. don't know

7. Monks are fun and surprisingly somewhat balanced. Being used to playing a rogue will help to some extend but i've also seen several former rogue players benching their monk for a warrior after some time.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's so many information out about the expansion, one really doesn't have to ask in particular... Inform yourself through research, instead of asking to get spoon fed.
    I believe that's the way to go..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabrius View Post

Hello MMO-champs!

I quit wow about a year ago due to lack of interest and spare time. Now since the new expansion came my interest has slowly come back, but I still have very limited spare time. Anyways, I would like to hear your opinion on the following subjects, if its worth coming back. Also please forgive me if some of it should be obvious, but I've just barely read the headlines since MoP and there's probably a lot I've missed. Here is what I expect to do, if I start playing again:

I don't need advice on top tier PVP or raiding, since I have no expectation to ever get there.
    Any kind of constructive feedback on these points would be highly appreciated. Thank you
    1. questing is decent considering the imo weak lore.
    2. slightly bigger that outland, slightly smaller than northrend. "hidden" stuff hasnt been around in wow since mountain climbing.
    3. some classes are ridiculously good are soloing content, even cata end raids.
    4. this part has been greatly enriched. lots of stuff to do, pets to collect, battles to win, achievements to hunt.
    5. still dead
    6. no idea
    7. never played, judging from groups: healing monks are under represented, dps ones arent anything spectacular, tanks can so amazing amounts of dmg.

adding number 8. imo raiding is better than last two xpacks with the exception of ulduar

Deleted
    Hello there! I'll answer your questions from personal perspective =)

1: Questing in Pandaria is amazing. The storylines are good, factions relateable and you get a general feeling of all zones having a purpose together instead of entire new values in each new zone. As you level, so does the magnitude of the issues you deal with in a very detailed "Point of no return" curve. You're immidiately caught in big action with Horde vs. Alliance story and introduction in the first zone, then take a step back over the two next shared zones with doing more calm but important work, getting a sense of calm about the whole zone but danger keeps poking to let you know it's comming. At the end of the second zone you reach the point of no return due to an attack that displays potential grave consequences (Won't go into details and spoil the fun) And from there it just builds up untill it escalates at end level =)

2: Pandaria is an AMAZING continent to explore. It's filled with goodies, secrets and hidden stuff (Assuming you don't just look it up for the easy path to lewt) and every zone has it's own way of drawing you in. Exploration also rewards fantastic stories and gold! ;D

3: It's alot easier. You got alot more health, do alot more damage and if you're a hybrid, the sky's the limit. Simple as that.

4: There's TONNES of new stuff to gather and collect. And with the new pet battle system, there's also stories. Each pet has their own little story about them and info, it's very rewarding. Old pets too, even! Cathing pets through the pet battle system is every pet collectors dream I'd wager and also a fun little minigame while waiting for dungeons, raids or BG's =)

5: World PvP is more encouraged, but not super-well executed yet. It's the one point where I'll have to be a bit sceptical and say, it's not likely to get much better than it is, since the old World PvP is impossible to recreate no matter what incentives might be introduced. Since player mentality in general has become more of "The easier the better" and "Path of least resistance" oriented, there's little reason to DO World PvP. Although they're gonna try to change that somewhat by letting it offer rewards in 5.2 where you can select if you wish to do PvE or PvP dailies. Albeit, I think most will just chose whichever is easier so it requires people to actualy select the PvP ones. But we'll see, in either case, steps have been taken to try to improve it, and LOADS of people whine about World PvP existing atleast, so maybe it's alive and well? I don't know.

6: I play on an RP server and RP is alive and well there atleast. It depends from server to server I'd wager =)

7: It's quite fun to level, however I did not enjoy it THAT much at end level, but I know lots of people who do, so that's cool. It's VERY easy to pick up and learn, especially for a rogue who's used to energy management. Has some awesome features and interresting aspects. I think you'd love it =)

- Hope that answers your questions!

- Kasperio.

My opinion : Questing is far far better than Cata.I would even say "open" when compared to cataclysm

My opinion : Not sure what do you mean by "exploring".It is pretty much similar to cata except
    i) you can tame rare pets from the world
    ii) you can kill rare mobs sometimes trinkets or items which are quite unique (eg : Trinket from Yaungol mob which reduces resource gathering time, Trinket from Klaxxi that gives you extra gold sometimes etc)

My opinion : It is very much possible

My opinion : Not a fan of this pet combat thing.But thats just me .I know ppl who are nuts about pet combat.If you are good pve'er theres simply tons of stuff to do.You will love it...so many achievements, hard/challenge modes etc.

My opinion : Sir..just try leveling a low level toon in any PVP zones(pre-mop).I am 100% sure you will see WPVP in copious amounts .Bringing WPVP is the best thing so far in MoP.Theres a lot of WPVP stuff in MoP too..

My opinion : In isolated pockets..yes

My opinion :

Brewmaster : Clunky playstyle and pretty meh
    Windwalker : PVP fodder.The new cata-warrior class of MoP.You know the class where upon seeing you the entire opposing team zone on you .You will be spending more time in GY. PVE'wise decent dps
    Mistweaver : Yo-yoing...They are swinging between each patches with them nerfs and buffs

10+ Year Old Account
    1 Questing is great, but I hope you like dailies. The lore is being delivered very well through quests and this coming from someone that doesn't care about the whole Asian theme. The lore involving Horde vs Alliance is getting hotter than ever, one of my fav points of MoP so far.

2 Exploring is very fun again. There are a lot of stuff to hunt a search and good rewards that come from doing so. You can get a nice cloud mount for finding lore scrolls scattered throughout the continent and killing rares can reward you with fun toys. There's also treasures to hunt that can reward a nice income if you find them all.

3 Soloing old content is easier than ever, Blizzard went so far as to change some old classic/TBC raid mechanics so they're soloable now. Not all are trivial yet though.

4 A lot of stuff to collect and if you're into collecting pets expect to throw away hours into the game thanks to the new Pet Battles. They are basically the same as Pokemon and I personally find it quite addictive.

5 World PvP is triving again, but that means lots of gankers. If that's your stuff you won't be disappointed, just check the endless QQ threads in the forums about it and you'll see. There's a lot of lvl90 wars going on too, specially in the Krasarang Wilds, the new daily quest hub that rewards PvPing.

6 I'm actually looking for an answer on that too. I'm looking for a good RP server to send one of my alts to. So far it looks like it's all the same as always, much to my displeasure. : \

7 I've been lvling a monk healer (lvl75 atm) and I'm having fun, but it's quite different from rogues, even if you're playing a dps monk. I dunno, I still prefer rogues, but I'm biased as hell since I've been playing my rogue since I started during early TBC and rogues are not a very popular class right now.

That being said, it's really going to depend on you, those are just my very personal opinions.

Geezus, seems like every day people who cannot make a decision themselves come on these boards and ask if MoP is any good.

Perhaps if you read these boards yourself instead of asking or even better: "Go buy the game anyway + one month sub = EUR 45 (= what an offlinegame usually costs) and play it for a month."

A lot of these threads get locked lately cause its all hearesay. Do you know any of these posters personally? Do you know their taste? And do they know yours? How can you base a decision on that?

If you have enough money and you feel that 8/12 million people aren't total idiots for playing a game - then buy the game and see for yourself.

Hello MMO-champs!

1: questing is honestly the best its ever been. it is a little bit linear but it has these kind of "branches" where you can choose to go here or there first and most hubs you can leave before its over but if you stay the last quest will give you a nice blue weapon or piece of gear or sometimes a nice vanity item or pet. the lore is awesome. this expansions lore is seriously the best and outside of valley of the four winds it can get pretty gritty and dark. valley of the four winds is kind of the vacation zone theres alot of silly moments and LOADS of vanity item rewards, karasang wilds is kind of its sister zone since both zones are connected but its alot more serious if you complete both zone fully it ends with a huge quest that kind of ties the two zones together in an awesome finale. while it may not be at the forefront all of the time titan and old god lore is very central to the lore this expansion and theres alot of foreshadowing about the legion.

2. exploring. pandaria is pretty big and it was designed with no flying in mind for leveling (some people may say its a con but it makes all the zones feel more alive and dangerous in my opinion) theres tons of rare spawns that drop vanity items and they can be pretty tough so you may need another person if you dont know the strats. theres tons of little treasure all over the place however they arent very obvious and alot of the good ones end up camped. theres also a bunch of cool little vanity grey items that you can pick up and while useless they typically have a little bit of flavor text and sell for a good bit of gold. theres also lorewalker objects that basically tell a piece of a story about a race and if you find all of them for the specific race you get an achievement and a quest item in the mail. if you turn it in you get to watch a little play showing some history or a story about the race and it goes on your book shelf so you can watch it again anytime.

4. pets and achievements are the big ones theres LOADS of them almost 400 wild pets actually. theres plenty of mounts to but most of them are tied behind daily quest grinds for some people thats a plus for some thats a negative.

5. world pvp seems to be alot more alive than it was in cata but i personally dont see a huge improvement in the mists zones except maybe the shieldwall areas and the new daily hub coming in 5.2

6 roleplay is still very much alive and with crz its even more alive and zones are alot more populated.

7. personally monks are very fun i love my monk and they are pretty easy to get into the main generalization so far is that they play kind of like a rogue mixed with a death knight. they have alot of cool spells and vanity things like roll and serpent kick and they have a class zone that you can port to that has a daily quest that gives you exp buff and every couple levels a normal quest that rewards either a unique belt or weapon that is a nice boost if you arent in heirlooms and a cool transmog piece if you are.

also while you said you dont need advice on raiding and whatnot id just like to remind you that lfr is available for ALL RAIDS and the legendary questline can be done in lfr so if your interested in the story you dont have to miss out on pretty much anything this expansion
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    I've left your thread open because you seem to be asking genuine questions about recent changes to the game and not just asking someone to make a decision for you about if you should return to the game or not.

I have, however, changed your thread title to more accurately reflect that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Geezus, seems like every day people who cannot make a decision themselves come on these boards and ask if MoP is any good.

Perhaps if you read these boards yourself instead of asking or even better: "Go buy the game anyway + one month sub = EUR 45 (= what an offlinegame usually costs) and play it for a month."

A lot of these threads get locked lately cause its all hearesay. Do you know any of these posters personally? Do you know their taste? And do they know yours? How can you base a decision on that?

If you have enough money and you feel that 8/12 million people aren't total idiots for playing a game - then buy the game and see for yourself.
    If he had just asked whether or not the expac is any good I'd agree with you, but he actually brought up some points with which he's trying to make his decision and any opinion followed by the reasons behind them can be useful here, even if they are biased. He might after all not agree with what I like or dislike, but if I say why I like/dislike it he can make a better judgement. There's no need for all that rage.

Deleted

Hello MMO-champs!

1. Jade Forest is really good and I really personally liked Dread Wastes and the story behind the Klaxxi.

The 5.1 dailies are probably the best story telling Blizzard have ever done imo, you unlock sections of the story as you gain rep, at the end of it I wanted to punch Garrosh in the face so hard (as horde) which I think was the point

The quests are not as linear as Cata you can find a new hub and start those without doing the previous so in effect there are mini hubs in each zone.

2. This is one of the most overlooked pros of MoP

There are tone of lore items out there if your into that (of course there is an online guide that lets you do this in 2 hrs if you want to ruin the exploration).

They also introduced some things called Relics which are BoA high level blues which you can find to help level alts etc.

The rares (which there are plenty) drop interesting vanity items as well.

3. More viable than ever they did nerf gold drops though, they did add some pets to the bosses though.

4. Plenty of vanity stuff out there (probably more than ever).

5. They tried to bring back world PvP in Cata and under zones by "merging" those zone some people love it, some people hate it.

I play on a PvE server so can't really comment but they did an "Alliance vs Horde" daily quest hub I imagine that is pretty fun on PvP server if that is what your after.

6. Not sure on this one I am afraid!

7. Not sure, mine is only 12

Just to chime on no.3 specifically

3. A level 80 Soloed a level 90 Raid Boss, i would say things are more solo-able than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Galbrei View Post
    If he had just asked whether or not the expac is any good I'd agree with you, but he actually brought up some points with which he's trying to make his decision and any opinion followed by the reasons behind them can be useful here, even if they are biased. He might after all not agree with what I like or dislike, but if I say why I like/dislike it he can make a better judgement. There's no need for all that rage.
    Ok wait:

Hello MMO-champs!

How is this question going to be useful? It's stated on these boards + official forums many times that the quests are pretty linear.
    Good lore? Is my taste in how the lore is going to be helpful? If so other threads don't have to be locked at all. Cause this is the same.
    He says he heard that the group quests are now scenarios. He already knows that answer tbh. It is yes.

How big is Pandaria? How big compared to what? As always the expansion should be about equal to other expansions... But OPINIONS may differ = biased
    And as usual, there are no hidden things. It is not Zelda.

answer can be found in patchnotes and discussed regularly on these boards and the official forums. The question if an average geared level 90 could solo this, is a valid question.

Yes as always there are new pets etc etc etc - it is a new expansion what do you expect? The point of combatpets? I think the word itself should be enough to give an idea. There are many threads here and on the official f

valid question

valid question

This is a biased question which you never get a good answer to.

So we have 3 questions which are valid.

Sorry for being cranky but really this is the millionth thread about this. I must be on my period...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawxey View Post
    Just to chime on no.3 specifically

3. A level 80 Soloed a level 90 Raid Boss, i would say things are more solo-able than ever.
    You do not this was not intended right? and has been fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    You do not this was not intended right? and has been fixed.
    I bet you're real fun at parties

Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    I've left your thread open because you seem to be asking genuine questions about recent changes to the game and not just asking someone to make a decision for you about if you should return to the game or not.

I have, however, changed your thread title to more accurately reflect that.
    Thank you, that was my intention.

Although I didn't quite expect my thread to start a discussion on whether it is useful or not. Anyways, thanks to everyone for their feedback. It's been enlightening.

To Vaelorian and others: Of course I expect opinions to be biased. I was hoping for varying opinions so I could make out an average. I'm not asking others to make my decision, but simply give me their view on things to help me decide myself. Also, this is just part of my research. I will be checking wowwiki and other sources. Yes, the best way to find out would be to buy and try it for myself, but I find it too expensive to do so without checking with others. Not saying its horribly expensive, but still a bit considering how much (or little if you like) time I expect to be able to play. I want to be a bit prepared on what to expect when/if I start.

Thank you, that was my intention.

Although I didn't quite expect my thread to start a discussion on whether it is useful or not. Anyways, thanks to everyone for their feedback. It's been enlightening.

To Vaelorian and others: Of course I expect opinions to be biased. I was hoping for varying opinions so I could make out an average. I'm not asking others to make my decision, but simply give me their view on things to help me decide myself. Also, this is just part of my research. I will be checking wowwiki and other sources. Yes, the best way to find out would be to buy and try it for myself, but I find it too expensive to do so without checking with others. Not saying its horribly expensive, but still a bit considering how much (or little if you like) time I expect to be able to play. I want to be a bit prepared on what to expect when/if I start.
    Sorry for the rant Hope you will start playing again. Good luck!

If you by chance come on shadowsong Europe (no idea if you are from any other zone or not) look me up, I don't mind helping you with anything.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-01-18 at 02:09 PM.