Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Altering the appearance of character mods.

    I still don't see why these mods are not allowed. I mean sure they poke at the T.o.C for altering the game data. But i feel it is one of those no harm no foul things.

    If you want to look like an undead pally as a human pally when you are the only one would would actually see the change i dont see the problem, everyone else would still see you as a human pally and would not effect tother peoples gameplay what so ever, they wouldent even kno about it.

    I know you are thinking well it starts with that and goes deeper into altering data etc, but if people want it, it will happen regardless.


  2. #2
    There are ways to change models to gain an advantage.

    Imagine making the WSG flag bigger so it is easier to spot. Enemy players glow. Etc, etc.

    If you stopped with just your character, great. But once people are messing with model files it can get out of hand pretty quick.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLos View Post
    There are ways to change models to gain an advantage.

    Imagine making the WSG flag bigger so it is easier to spot. Enemy players glow. Etc, etc.

    If you stopped with just your character, great. But once people are messing with model files it can get out of hand pretty quick.
    This is really the only reason why. It's a case of a handful of people ruining it for everyone else. People started doing things like changing the model of the BG gates to something really small that they could walk around even though they were "closed". So you would have things like a team in Arathi Basin 5-capping before the battle technically even started. Or, before flying was allowed everywhere, changing terrain models to get places they were not supposed to go. Yeah there are ways to stop such things, but it is far less work to simply say "No Mod'ing allowed".
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If your guild demands you slip into an elephants butt and force yourself out in a regurgation then you can't blame Blizzard for supplying the elephant.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLos View Post
    There are ways to change models to gain an advantage.

    Imagine making the WSG flag bigger so it is easier to spot. Enemy players glow. Etc, etc.

    If you stopped with just your character, great. But once people are messing with model files it can get out of hand pretty quick.
    The players that will use change models will do so for a different reason then what im talking about, mine was a simple graphic change to the person at the computer only.

    As for the WSG flag and making a player glow, how it that any different from lets say the mod "healers must die" i think its called where it marks the healers or BG spy.

    What i was saying it rather than having people messing around with it, make a mod that you can alter your character and control it to do nothing more then that.


  5. #5
    Because they said so.

    Pretty much comes down to that.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

  6. #6
    Yeah, or making mining veins or herbs into a house so they are easier to see.
    But afaik tmorph can't even do that.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    This is really the only reason why. It's a case of a handful of people ruining it for everyone else. People started doing things like changing the model of the BG gates to something really small that they could walk around even though they were "closed". So you would have things like a team in Arathi Basin 5-capping before the battle technically even started. Or, before flying was allowed everywhere, changing terrain models to get places they were not supposed to go. Yeah there are ways to stop such things, but it is far less work to simply say "No Mod'ing allowed".
    It woudlent be a mod to change anything in the environment only to change your character. The size of character would be what you change it into not a smaller or larger version of it.


  8. #8
    The Insane peggleftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    16,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    This is really the only reason why. It's a case of a handful of people ruining it for everyone else. People started doing things like changing the model of the BG gates to something really small that they could walk around even though they were "closed".

    i dont think that would actually work from a simple model edit, as it only changes the look of it on your client. but i remember one of the reasons blizzard gave was making rare ore spawns in BC, people model eddited them to be like 100ft tall so you could see from a mile away and stuff like that.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 04:13 PM ----------

    also, not as many people would pay for race changes if you could mod the look of your character :P
    Too cool for a signature

  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans Hanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Florida!
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    This is really the only reason why. It's a case of a handful of people ruining it for everyone else. People started doing things like changing the model of the BG gates to something really small that they could walk around even though they were "closed". So you would have things like a team in Arathi Basin 5-capping before the battle technically even started. Or, before flying was allowed everywhere, changing terrain models to get places they were not supposed to go. Yeah there are ways to stop such things, but it is far less work to simply say "No Mod'ing allowed".
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain a model changing mod only alters the cosmetic appearance of models in-game. You can't change the programmed size of a BG gate, only how it appears to you and you alone. Making the WSG flag bigger is a good example, but the mechanics behind how the gates work is a server-side handle in which we have no control over.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain a model changing mod only alters the cosmetic appearance of models in-game. You can't change the programmed size of a BG gate, only how it appears to you and you alone. Making the WSG flag bigger is a good example, but the mechanics behind how the gates work is a server-side handle in which we have no control over.
    The mod wouldent let you alter anything but the cosmetic appearance of your character, nothing more. So the whole WSG flag thing would have nothing to do with what im talking about.


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain a model changing mod only alters the cosmetic appearance of models in-game. You can't change the programmed size of a BG gate, only how it appears to you and you alone. Making the WSG flag bigger is a good example, but the mechanics behind how the gates work is a server-side handle in which we have no control over.

    if you recall there was a mod edit that allowed people to skip a entire raid to kill c'thun... it removed the floor..



    And to the reason why a addon like kill the healer is allowed but this is not is simple when you think about it.

    One is altering files from wow.

    One is running a program from within wows addon framework and has only access to things within the framework.. it can't change things like sizes and such.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mementh View Post
    if you recall there was a mod edit that allowed people to skip a entire raid to kill c'thun... it removed the floor..



    And to the reason why a addon like kill the healer is allowed but this is not is simple when you think about it.

    One is altering files from wow.

    One is running a program from within wows addon framework and has only access to things within the framework.. it can't change things like sizes and such.
    Then could you not run a mod within wows framework controlled by WoW to restrict and only allow the alteration of the cosmetics for the user and not the rest of the world?


  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by tattoocheeseburger View Post
    The mod wouldent let you alter anything but the cosmetic appearance of your character, nothing more. So the whole WSG flag thing would have nothing to do with what im talking about.
    If it truly only changed the model skin, then while technically still not allowed, there would be no way to detect it. So unless someone rats you out, Blizzard would never know. But, using your example of the paladin, making a human look like an undead is more than just a reskin. You actually have to alter the base model. Otherwise animations would be wrong, gear would not fit properly, etc. Or it would just look godawful because the skin was stretched across a model it was never supposed to go on.
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If your guild demands you slip into an elephants butt and force yourself out in a regurgation then you can't blame Blizzard for supplying the elephant.

  14. #14
    Absolutely everyone i know is using tmorph, also are 90% of the streamers.


    dunno, blizzard isnt doing anything against this because it doenst cause any harm to the game.

  15. #15
    If I remember correctly, Model edits that give you an advantage I.E changing from a Gnome to a Tauren or giving yourself the ability to see someone easier in a BG is going to get you banned yes.

    If you get one of the more..."adult" mods or something that gives...let's say night elves black hair? Blizzard does not really care, Because it is only cosmetic and only YOU can see it. As well as it does not effect gameplay in the slightest.

    And yes like Spray says, Reckful actually uses a model editor. He is an undead male but model changed to a human female

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain a model changing mod only alters the cosmetic appearance of models in-game. You can't change the programmed size of a BG gate, only how it appears to you and you alone. Making the WSG flag bigger is a good example, but the mechanics behind how the gates work is a server-side handle in which we have no control over.
    I'll admit I have not messed around with it in quite some time so some server architecture may have changed. It used to work that way because the model properties were all contained on your computer, not the server. The local client handled all the rendering and collision calculations, and really just reported to the server what your position was in the world. The server, at the time at least, didn't care HOW you got there. It just faithfully kept track of where the client said you were and reported it to the clients of the other players nearby. So you could alter the model sizes of things to do what I listed above because the server would just accept the position locations the client sent to it.

    Keep in mind, this was back in Vanilla that stuff like that was happening.
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    If your guild demands you slip into an elephants butt and force yourself out in a regurgation then you can't blame Blizzard for supplying the elephant.

  17. #17
    Pit Lord Galbrei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,328
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLos View Post
    There are ways to change models to gain an advantage.

    Imagine making the WSG flag bigger so it is easier to spot. Enemy players glow. Etc, etc.

    If you stopped with just your character, great. But once people are messing with model files it can get out of hand pretty quick.
    Huh, I never stopped to think about it that way. I always just assumed it was to milk more money from race/faction changes, but I guess your point makes a lot of sense too!

  18. #18
    Could they sure, but not something really worthwhile in setting up. It may require more changes to the current setup of how the characters are process to allow just your character and no other model to be modified. Time and resources for such a change really do not benefit the developers to suit this need along with adding "testing" to ensure it does not cause other modifications from being made. So not only is there the time to get that open up but ensuring that other models are not changed or if they are can be detected.
    "A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel my ANGER"

  19. #19
    I understand why they aren't allowed. Its a problem with MMO's. If you want to tinker around with things like this freely, play an offline RPG like skyrim and you can do whatever you want. Its a much more free and unrestricted experience then an mmo, with factions, rules who you can/cannot attack, rules against modding, etc.

  20. #20
    Blizzard Araxom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurbz View Post
    This is really the only reason why. It's a case of a handful of people ruining it for everyone else. People started doing things like changing the model of the BG gates to something really small that they could walk around even though they were "closed". So you would have things like a team in Arathi Basin 5-capping before the battle technically even started. Or, before flying was allowed everywhere, changing terrain models to get places they were not supposed to go. Yeah there are ways to stop such things, but it is far less work to simply say "No Mod'ing allowed".
    Indeed. Although a player may not do something with the intention to exploit, there are things like this which will make it appear from our side that in fact an exploitation may have been achieved. If that happens, then action happens to the account which is a bummer. So in short, please don't make your character a big, glowy robot that shoots lasers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •