Unions benefit from Super Storm Sandy suffering.

In the aftermath of Super Storm Sandy some out-of-state utility crews were turned away from NJ when they volunteered to help. The reason? The crews weren't unionized.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/ala...ief-not-union/

Now that the Federal Government has passed a pork-laden "Relief" bill NJ unions are poised to cash in again. It seems the NJ legislature is pushing a bill that would give Unions a monopoly in the rebuilding effort.

"On Monday, the New Jersey state Senate, in a party-line vote, passed a bill that would exclude construction workers who are not a part of a union from doing work related to Hurricane Sandy cleanup and reconstruction in the state.

The bill will now heads to the New Jersey assembly. If it passes there, it goes to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie’s (R) desk."

http://sayanythingblog.com/entry/new...(Say+Anything)

http://www.redstate.com/2013/01/14/p...sandy-cleanup/

http://www.i4u.com/2013/01/christoph...icane-projects

http://www.laborunionreport.com/port...ne-sandy-work/

So what was all that hogwash about "the suffering" and "the unfortunate" victims of Sandy in NJ? I guess they take a backseat to pork and Unions.

EDIT:
    I want to clarify that I don't doubt there is suffering victims of Sandy in NJ. The only thing I doubt is the honesty and sincerity behind the Politicians (of both parties) both in DC and NJ.
    Last edited by Twotonsteak; 2013-01-18 at 07:37 PM.

People in the affected area getting the jobs to repair the area they actually live in is a problem to you?

10+ Year Old Account
    This again?

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/11/...denies_cl.html

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Representatives with Huntsville Utilities and Joe Wheeler Cooperative, two area utilities mentioned in media reports claiming their crews were not allowed to help with storm aid in New Jersey because they were non-union, said this morning the story is untrue.
    "We were not turned away," he said. "It's a lot more complicated than that. One of the problems is whenever this kind of thing happens people call and ask, 'Are you going to send crews out?' but it's not a situation where everybody jumps in truck and heads up there. You have to work through trade associations. You have mutual-aid agreements and you've got to find a system that needs you and is able to take you."

He said some systems don't use the same voltage and may have different configurations. "You don't just go up there and say, 'Hey, we're here. We're going to start putting up poles for you."

The reason for wanting union workers on it is simple: standardization. You want to be confident that everything is put together in the most constructive and efficient way possible, following all protocols required in case future problems develop. Unions merely happen to be better at establishing these standards and protocols, and coordinating their efforts.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-01-18 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    People in the affected area getting the jobs to repair the area they actually live in is a problem to you?
    Some people just complain about anything the possibly can, i don't see how this could be seen as a problem in any sane persons eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    This again?

http://blog.al.com/breaking/2012/11/...denies_cl.html

HUNTSVILLE, Alabama - Representatives with Huntsville Utilities and Joe Wheeler Cooperative, two area utilities mentioned in media reports claiming their crews were not allowed to help with storm aid in New Jersey because they were non-union, said this morning the story is untrue.
    "We were not turned away," he said. "It's a lot more complicated than that. One of the problems is whenever this kind of thing happens people call and ask, 'Are you going to send crews out?' but it's not a situation where everybody jumps in truck and heads up there. You have to work through trade associations. You have mutual-aid agreements and you've got to find a system that needs you and is able to take you."

He said some systems don't use the same voltage and may have different configurations. "You don't just go up there and say, 'Hey, we're here. We're going to start putting up poles for you."

The reason for wanting union workers on it is simple: standardization. You want to be confident that everything is put together in the most constructive and efficient way possible, following all protocols required in case future problems develop. Unions merely happen to be better at establishing these standards and protocols, and coordinating their efforts.
    think we're done here

I don't recall reading anything promising the work to people living in affected area's. What I did read was an attack against the free-market system. And a willingness by the State Government of NJ to spend more in tax-payer money, which we don't actually have to begin with, so Unions can get the work.

EDIT: So my understanding from this thread is that a free-market economy is bad. Got it.
    Last edited by Twotonsteak; 2013-01-18 at 08:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is this even a thread? We need a downvote system. Never seen someone put some much effort into complaining about people getting jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    I don't recall reading anything promising the work to people living in affected area's. What I did read was an attack against the free-market system. And a willingness by the State Government of NJ to spend more in tax-payer money, which we don't actually have to begin with, so Unions can get the work.

EDIT: So my understanding from this thread is that a free-market economy is bad. Got it.
    Think of it this way. The government is the customer and it wants to hire certain companies because of their employee policies. Companies are free to use unionized labor if they want, a lot dont and theyre not being forced to, so if they want the jobs they should employ unionized employees.

Its the same thing as people not going to Walmart because they pay their employees crap, or not using a certain company to supply you because they use unethical environmental practices or are from China.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Why is this even a thread? We need a downvote system. Never seen someone put some much effort into complaining about people getting jobs.
    So I guess the the easy response is to TRY and twist the truth?

I never said I was against people getting jobs. I never said I was against people in NJ getting jobs. I AM against a policy that openly stands in opposition to free-market. A system that will cost tax-payers more money than necessary. Money we DON'T actually have.

I'm not sure what part of "free-market" means I'm against people in NJ working. I guess it's sort of like that philosophy that if I'm against an Obama policy, I must be racist. Or if I'm against gun control, I must like school shootings.

Sorry to disappoint so many of you. But I just find the following to be a little, well, silly.

The Federal Government passed a bill it can't pay for, full of pork unrelated to the reason for the bill, while refusing to cut any spending so we could pay for it. New Jersey then works to pass another law forcing the state to pay more than necessary for the rebuilding effort.

Now let's translate that into something else.

You buy a car you can't afford, full of luxuries you don't need, while refusing to cut any "disposable" expenditures to cover the car. Then you ignore all available options for maintenance of the car and take it to the most expensive place which, again, you really can't afford.

Sound logical to you?
    Last edited by Twotonsteak; 2013-01-18 at 09:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Look to the reply immediately following your OP to see why this thread is pointless and bad.

I was there the day after the flood waters receded to begin working cleanup. I drove 900 miles to help. I didn't hear a single story about people who wanted to help getting turned away. While I was there, there were many people doing cheap, shoddy work and gouging the hell out of costs for the victims. Those who were not unionized but genuinely wanted to help and not take advantage of people were welcomed by the unions with open arms. There were initiatives sent out that sought to certify people as electricians, plumbers, or whatever in under a week who would work as assistants under master electricians/plumbers, etc.

Basically what this legislation is doing is seeking to stop the scammers who are taking advantage of the victims. If you think that's bad for free market then you have a pretty messed up view of free market.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account

You buy a car you can't afford, full of luxuries you don't need, while refusing to cut any "disposable" expenditures to cover the car. Then you ignore all available options for maintenance of the car and take it to the most expensive place which, again, you really can't afford.

Sound logical to you?
    Your example is a little off. It's more like the government buying a car from the US that has US standards instead of buying one from another country(state in this instance) with different standards. The government can choose who does the work. Sounds free to me. In my opinion the local union would be better, but it would cost more for the quality. Yes we are stretched for money right now, but we need utilities. They are not luxuries.

15+ Year Old Account
    So I guess the the easy response is to TRY and twist the truth?

I never said I was against people getting jobs. I never said I was against people in NJ getting jobs. I AM against a policy that openly stands in opposition to free-market. A system that will cost tax-payers more money than necessary. Money we DON'T actually have.

I'm not sure what part of "free-market" means I'm against people in NJ working. I guess it's sort of like that philosophy that if I'm against an Obama policy, I must be racist. Or if I'm against gun control, I must like school shootings.

Sorry to disappoint so many of you. But I just find the following to be a little, well, silly.

The Federal Government passed a bill it can't pay for, full of pork unrelated to the reason for the bill, while refusing to cut any spending so we could pay for it. New Jersey then works to pass another law forcing the state to pay more than necessary for the rebuilding effort.

Sound logical to you?
    1. The free-market has never existed. Ever. Only on a sheet of paper next to Mises' and Sowell's and Milton's lube cream on their nightstand.

2. Federal spending has actually decreased relative to GDP. Federal revenues fell off a cliff during the recession, hence the irrational calls from your side of the aisle.

3. You can make the argument that the advent of the New Deal and the GI Bill had radically equalized the wealth in this country. During the times of postwar until the mid 80's was the pinnacle (most equality) in our society.

4. Government debt and deficits are completely irrelevant in any short-term time-scale. Britain just paid off it's world war 1 debt. We are the reserve currency of the world. We have the largest tax-base and economy in the world. Global investors throw billions of dollars at us, literally LOSING money when they purchase our t-bills. You don't get it, we could run up 500% debt to GDP ratio (which would never happen if the federal government actually stepped in and invest when and where the private sector cannot) and it would not matter, because in the minuscule chance of the American economy crashing, the entire global economy would careen off a cliff anyways.

I really don't think any conservative or libertarian has any idea how large of a role our government, and in turn, our economy play in the entire global scheme. I don't think you understand the man-power and resources it takes to run the largest first world country, especially when the likes of you equate our operating budgets to your checkbooks.

Read. Learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    2. Federal spending has actually decreased relative to GDP.
    Well, no, not really. I guess that's true if you're looking at the very small drop relative to the absolute peak.

Source

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from the fact that I don't like exclusive contracts, it's not going to help an area rebuild if the only thing that happens there is more job and wage loss.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.