Cleaning the freezer of horrible smell - need tips

Long story short, I suspected that a tenant had been storing weed inside the freezer. He's gone now, and when I open the freezer door, *BOOM* a huge grassy smell immediately wafts out.

I stuck some baking soda in there overnight, but looks like I'll need to get more aggressive. Anyone with cleaning tips on cleaning a freezer that's harboring a strong smell?

Deleted
    I've heard ginger works well. I think you just make a spray, spray into onto something and then just leave it with clean air for a few days.

Deleted
    Ground coffee works wonders, put a bit on a saucer and put it in the fridge after you cleaned it. Also lemons cut into halves are good.

First, you want to clean the surfaces in case of any residue. If you really want to do a good deep clean, start off with a standard kitchen cleaning spray, or something like the clorox wipes, and clean all the surfaces. Then, to get rid of any chemical residue, clean it with a mild water and detergent mix, then just water. This will leave it clean for when you want to use it. Finally, you need to let it air out for a bit. Just unplug the unit, and leave the door open. If you have a fan that you can point into it to help circulation, that is best.

Now, if you have a built in icemaker on this device that you cannot really get into to clean, I'd suggest making a good batch of ice before the cleaning process, as well as again after. This will help make sure that unit is cleaned out some as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Explosives. Mmmm, explosives.

On a more serious note. Baking soda is one way, but you'll need a good scrub down first to get rid of whatever remnant that may still be there.
    Anything high in surface area / porous is generally useable, such being cinnamon, coffee, those coal thingies, baking soda, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's that strong, I'd say an aggressive cleaning is in order.

Buy a new fridge, and take it out of their security deposit.

10+ Year Old Account
    You cleaned it after defrosting it?

Quote Originally Posted by D_K_night View Post
    Long story short, I suspected that a tenant had been storing weed inside the freezer. He's gone now, and when I open the freezer door, *BOOM* a huge grassy smell immediately wafts out.

I stuck some baking soda in there overnight, but looks like I'll need to get more aggressive. Anyone with cleaning tips on cleaning a freezer that's harboring a strong smell?
    Light the fridge on fire.

Get a small bag of charcoal and a few of the disposable aluminum cooking trays. Clean out the freezer of as much of the food as possible. If you have another freezer, and can completely clean out the freezer, do that. If you can do that, then unplug the freezer and let it defrost. This is the best way to do it.

Put the disposable trays in the fridge/freezer on the shelves, filled with charcoal. Charcoal is naturally a very good filter, and will completely take all smells out of the fridge and freezer. The time it takes largely depends on how bad the smell is, but it *will* work. With the freezer off, I'd let it go overnight and check on it, it may be enough.

Trust me, I've done this after my freezer lost it's temperature while I was on vacation. The smell in the freezer was horrible, and no amount of cleaning solution or baking soda made a difference. The charcoal did the trick quickly.
    This might help (ty google)

Also if you didn't already - turn the freezer OFF, let defrost totally, scrub it like hell when the ice is gone. with vinegar / weak ammonia something of that nature. Try leaving the door open a day or two with it turned off also, let it "breathe" a bit.

I would try vinegar anyway, that stuff is a stinky miracle worker xD (I do cleaning for a living)

10+ Year Old Account
    I've recently discovered borax. Try that. Apparently is does everything.

Lots and lots of bleach would probably help. It will definitely kill anything living in there. Let is soak for a while too with anything you decide to use.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Explosives. Mmmm, explosives.

On a more serious note. Baking soda is one way, but you'll need a good scrub down first to get rid of whatever remnant that may still be there.
    Anything high in surface area / porous is generally useable, such being cinnamon, coffee, those coal thingies, baking soda, etc.
    Seconding the baking soda. That can soak up just about any awful smell.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Air sponge works wonderfully for getting rid of odors. If you're in a hurry, stick in 2 or 3 and run a fan inside the (closed) freezer to increase air circulation.

10+ Year Old Account
    A cleaner at work was cleaning the fridge today with vinegar.. I smelled weird when she was actually doing it, but afterwards you couldnt smell anything from the fridge. So i guess that could work. I would look it up on the net to be safe tho!

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

Quote Originally Posted by nimryas View Post
    A cleaner at work was cleaning the fridge today with vinegar.. I smelled weird when she was actually doing it, but afterwards you couldnt smell anything from the fridge. So i guess that could work. I would look it up on the net to be safe tho!
    I works amazingly if you boil it in your kettle as well to clean it out periodically from limescale (boil it with clean water twice after and leave top open for a bit after) - I use half vinegar, half water. You will have beautiful clean kettle water...

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    You cleaned it after defrosting it?
    this

Ya i dont get the impression he did defrost it. Best bet is to defrost it with all doors open overnight, then cleaning it with baking soda or vinegar and run it for like 20-40minutes with the doors open to cycle the air left in the vents. And then keep a baking soda (spread on a pan) for a couple days)

10+ Year Old Account
    Defrost and use bleach to clean it if you still get the smell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clean it out good, squirt some 409 or some similar cleaner in it, and if possible let it air out for a day or two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scrub down the inside with vinegar and water.

Put a couple open boxes of baking soda in there for awhile (more than overnight; hell, keep one in there full time).

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |