Deleted

[Balance] Starfall and CC

From original post on battle.net (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6297433320#1):

So I was reading that Starfall wouldn't hit crowd controlled targets, which I am indeed happy for.
    BUT, does that count CC's that doesn't break on damage aswell? Like stuns, roots (I know they break on damage, but not on first hit), warlock/priest fears?
    Cause if they do, that's a quite big nerf.

So question is:

Do Starfall still hit stunned/silenced targets?

Deleted
    Yes it does, it just doesn't hit targets that are polymorphed and such. It'll still target feared, stunned, silenced and rooted targets.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it hits rooted targets it's still broken. It should not hit any CCed target where damage breaks the CC. Period. If you want to damage those targets you lose the CC. If you want to keep the CC, you lose the damage. Having it hit targets CCed with a kind of CC that breaks on damage makes this change useless.

The entire idea behind using those kinds of CC is that you, the player, need to choose what's important - damaging the target or controlling it. Wanting both is double dipping.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    If it hits rooted targets it's still broken. It should not hit any CCed target where damage breaks the CC. Period. If you want to damage those targets you lose the CC. If you want to keep the CC, you lose the damage. Having it hit targets CCed with a kind of CC that breaks on damage makes this change useless.

The entire idea behind using those kinds of CC is that you, the player, need to choose what's important - damaging the target or controlling it. Wanting both is double dipping.
    This is a lose/lose situation. In PVP scenarios where targets are Rooted/Feared/Hexed you would want Starfall to hit them because they are likely to be full dotted anyway, and the damage threshold to break the CC is likely to occur. Even it does break ~1 or 2 seconds earlier than it would have, it is not the end of the world because the trade off is some Starfall damage on that target.

In PvE you may want to keep a target permanently rooted while killing other things, aka Will of the Emperor. Here Starfall may hit your rooted target and break it early (it would probably be pretty easy to figure out how many Stars need to hit a rooted target before it can break), but there are still other factors. If they are multiple targets within your Starfall range, then only 2-3 stars may actually hit the rooted target, possibly not actually crossing the threshold and breaking the CC.

Normally in PvE situations CC which breaks instantly on damage is preferred. Sheep, Ice Trap, Bind Elemental see the most use in raiding today on Will and Lei Shi, and Starfall can now freely be used in those situations. There is no perfect sitauation for the other types of CC, other than making a glyph of Starfall to only attack your current target.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    This is a lose/lose situation. In PVP scenarios where targets are Rooted/Feared/Hexed you would want Starfall to hit them because they are likely to be full dotted anyway, and the damage threshold to break the CC is likely to occur. Even it does break ~1 or 2 seconds earlier than it would have, it is not the end of the world because the trade off is some Starfall damage on that target.

In PvE you may want to keep a target permanently rooted while killing other things, aka Will of the Emperor. Here Starfall may hit your rooted target and break it early (it would probably be pretty easy to figure out how many Stars need to hit a rooted target before it can break), but there are still other factors. If they are multiple targets within your Starfall range, then only 2-3 stars may actually hit the rooted target, possibly not actually crossing the threshold and breaking the CC.

Normally in PvE situations CC which breaks instantly on damage is preferred. Sheep, Ice Trap, Bind Elemental see the most use in raiding today on Will and Lei Shi, and Starfall can now freely be used in those situations. There is no perfect sitauation for the other types of CC, other than making a glyph of Starfall to only attack your current target.
    Yep. I agree with that. Ideally we'd have PVP and PVE rulesets for everything but that's not going to happen. To me, in PVE, you don't ever want Starfall to break CC - the entire point of CCing a mob is to take it out of the fight for some reason while you kill something else. Everyone assumes that CCed mob = mob that we don't need to worry about.

If we had to live with one behavior I'd have to vote for SF never hitting CCed targets where the damage can break CC. I realize it's suboptimal in PVP but it's potentially group wiping in PVE to have the reverse happen. Obviously controlling this via a glyph would rock.