Thread: The LSAT...

  1. #1

    The LSAT...

    Has anyone taken these before?

    Graduated this pass winter and planning to take the LSAT in June.

    Holy crap I never knew English could be so hard. I've read organic chemistry textbooks that made more sense than some of the problems on there...

  2. #2
    Scarab Lord breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    wisconsin
    Posts
    4,283
    no i've taken the sat. but not the lsat. got a pretty good score on the sat too.

  3. #3
    Lol, they're two way totally differentx10 tests

    XD

  4. #4
    can't be harder than MCAT's can it?

  5. #5
    Mechagnome Osyrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    can't be harder than MCAT's can it?
    no its different then the MCAT for obvious reasons.

    Yes I have taken the LSAT. Pick up a book check it out- if you understand the thinking style of the test youre all set, if not start studying. When I say studying I mean it. Its a standardized test so it can be learned- learn it.
    For me I had to rethink the way I approached situations and questions.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Osyrus View Post
    no its different then the MCAT for obvious reasons.

    Yes I have taken the LSAT. Pick up a book check it out- if you understand the thinking style of the test youre all set, if not start studying. When I say studying I mean it. Its a standardized test so it can be learned- learn it.
    For me I had to rethink the way I approached situations and questions.
    How long did you study it for and when did you take it? And also, did you get the score you wanted?

  7. #7
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,756
    I took the LSATs in my graduating year of university just for kicks. I didn't really have an intent to pursue a law degree though.

    I did quite well on them. But in Canada LSATs (and other standardized tests) are nowhere near as relevant as they are in the U.S. as far as admissions go. Law schools in Canada tend to weigh GPA much higher than they do LSATs.

    Overall, I think I did well on them due to the fact that I had a very strong background in formal logic. I took about six courses in contemplative logic and analytical logic, along with classical (Aristotelian) logic. Knowing how to read material and pick apart its arguments/assumptions/logical gaps is extremely important with respect to doing well on LSATs.

  8. #8
    Right now I'm struggling with weakening and strengthening type questions. They are my achilles heel.

  9. #9
    The Insane GennGreymane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Master Suite at 10 Downing ST. SW. AZ. 11111
    Posts
    16,842
    only practice..... im scared of it.

    it made some of the smartest kids i know in my pre law classes cry

    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise REGGIE! MY BODY IS READY༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

  10. #10
    Its not bad. I took it once and got into law school. Get your puzzles down first and you'll be fine. Also, make sure to actually do some writing with a pencil because your hand will get really tired during the exam. MCAT and LSAT are fairly close in difficulty. I'm studying for the Bar right now, I failed by .15 points in the fall which was annoying, but I was getting married and we thought my wife had cancer at the same time I was studying for it last time so to say the least I didn't study enough. As long as you can hit the middle ground on the LSAT you'll get into Law School. Remember Law School is a lot about face time, go see the Dean a bunch and chat em up if you are having a hard time getting into school.

    LSAT is all about pushing through the questions and being able to do analytical thinking on the fly. The Essay is the easy part its all about making a good structure and proving you can layout an argument. With the puzzle remember that leaving things blank counts against you so just push through. The questions are meant to try and get you to spend too much time in one place. Just pace yourself and STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. Its all about repetition. Do as many puzzle questions between now and then as you can and time each one. Do at least 2 or 3 a day. Don't cram, cramming isn't effective.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Its not bad. I took it once and got into law school. Get your puzzles down first and you'll be fine. Also, make sure to actually do some writing with a pencil because your hand will get really tired during the exam. MCAT and LSAT are fairly close in difficulty. I'm studying for the Bar right now, I failed by .15 points in the fall which was annoying, but I was getting married and we thought my wife had cancer at the same time I was studying for it last time so to say the least I didn't study enough. As long as you can hit the middle ground on the LSAT you'll get into Law School. Remember Law School is a lot about face time, go see the Dean a bunch and chat em up if you are having a hard time getting into school.

    LSAT is all about pushing through the questions and being able to do analytical thinking on the fly. The Essay is the easy part its all about making a good structure and proving you can layout an argument. With the puzzle remember that leaving things blank counts against you so just push through. The questions are meant to try and get you to spend too much time in one place. Just pace yourself and STUDY, STUDY, STUDY. Its all about repetition. Do as many puzzle questions between now and then as you can and time each one. Do at least 2 or 3 a day. Don't cram, cramming isn't effective.
    When people say this, I get defensive. I keep thinking to myself that if i stopped studying for even a day, it'll come and haunt me or I'll regret doing so later on.

    The puzzles or "logic games" (the real name is analytical reasoning) I'm doing fine. It's just these damn arguments I have a problem with.

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    4,809
    Quote Originally Posted by TidesOfBlood View Post
    When people say this, I get defensive. I keep thinking to myself that if i stopped studying for even a day, it'll come and haunt me or I'll regret doing so later on.

    The puzzles or "logic games" (the real name is analytical reasoning) I'm doing fine. It's just these damn arguments I have a problem with.
    If it helps any, the analytical reasoning portion is the toughest for most people. I took the LSAT awhile ago and that portion was the hardest for me. Zoldor's advice is sound, don't cram for it, but do 1-5 practice tests a day.
    The less you know, the more you believe.


    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hate, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by TidesOfBlood View Post
    When people say this, I get defensive. I keep thinking to myself that if i stopped studying for even a day, it'll come and haunt me or I'll regret doing so later on.

    The puzzles or "logic games" (the real name is analytical reasoning) I'm doing fine. It's just these damn arguments I have a problem with.
    Oh, the arguments will come to you then. The Analytical Reasoning is the most dangerous because its such at time sink and trips up a majority of people. I'm a natural crammer, but when I say don't cram I mean like I would, as in studying the night before. Missing a day or two isn't going to hurt at all and I actually recommend it. You'll burn your brain out going 24/7. You'll find this out at bar time, people just melt down. The LSAT isn't bad, if your good on analytical you'll be fine. The arguments is where I excelled. Really its good format, don't repeat and put things in good order.

    You really can gauge what you need as well. Read how they grade the exam that can help you out too and calm your nerves. Are you trying to get into a private school or a state school? Be reasonable, without a 4.0 GPA you aren't going to get into an elite school, but that doesn't mean a lot anymore. You can be nearly as successful going to a state school. You might not become a Supreme Court Justice or a Professor at Yale, but you can kill it in practice.

    Repetition makes the test easier, work on your argument formatting, and practice making short concise statements. (Thats also like 50% of lawschool lol.) If you really want a tip there are some books that help with it as well, and with law school, if you are serious send me a PM and let ya know. A professor I worked for gave me some great books on creating and writing really quality arguments.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2013-01-18 at 08:33 PM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Oh, the arguments will come to you then. The Analytical Reasoning is the most dangerous because its such at time sink and trips up a majority of people. I'm a natural crammer, but when I say don't cram I mean like I would, as in studying the night before. Missing a day or two isn't going to hurt at all and I actually recommend it. You'll burn your brain out going 24/7. You'll find this out at bar time, people just melt down. The LSAT isn't bad, if your good on analytical you'll be fine. The arguments is where I excelled. Really its good format, don't repeat and put things in good order.

    You really can gauge what you need as well. Read how they grade the exam that can help you out too and calm your nerves. Are you trying to get into a private school or a state school? Be reasonable, without a 4.0 GPA you aren't going to get into an elite school, but that doesn't mean a lot anymore. You can be nearly as successful going to a state school. You might not become a Supreme Court Justice or a Professor at Yale, but you can kill it in practice.

    Repetition makes the test easier, work on your argument formatting, and practice making short concise statements. (Thats also like 50% of lawschool lol.) If you really want a tip there are some books that help with it as well, and with law school, if you are serious send me a PM and let ya know. A professor I worked for gave me some great books on creating and writing really quality arguments.
    I have a 3.9 with a double major. And I am trying to get into a tier 1 school like Yale/Harvard/Stanford, etc. The logical reasoning part of the exam is killing me, currently, I get like -6 or -9 wrong on those sections. I blame the public school education I had when I was in grade school :/ Didn't teach good english there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •