Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't see the irony there. This seems like the defining characteristics of modern American Christianity (profiteering and hypocrisy) rather than something that fits any definition of irony.
    I can't connect these characteristics to Martin Luther King, and lacking evidence to the contrary assume that he really meant and believed in what he said.

Following the polite requests of Disney, the whole western world has now modelled copyright law to maximise corporate profits, and as a side-effect it allows some children, grandchildren and grand-grandchildren of artists to use their word as a bargain. Happened in Germany with poet Bert Brecht, who was a commited communist and wouldn't have supported "intellectual property" in any way, with others who wrote against the thing they are now used for.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I don't know, maybe we should ask the author of the speech. Wait... he's dead? So then... to whom is it copyrighted to? His children? Why, did his children tell the speech themselves, did they invent it? No, so by this simple thing it does not belong to them.

Yes, under dumb laws it does. The same way someone can go and say "you'll let me do who I want, you know who my father is?" is exactly like this thing. They are profiting over the work that does not belong to them simply because they existed (since they were his children). They do not deserve to.

And, because it does not belong to them, but to their father, a person who is dead... it is censorship. By law it's called copyright though since the law is stupid... funny, that's one of the ideas of the speech to rise above unjust laws. In that case it was slavery, in this case it's copyright.
    If i build a house i wan't my children to have it. Simple as that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    There is only one problem with that. A house is an object, while a speech is an idea. While the house, as an object, should belong to your children, if you build a house that floats on water in case of flooding, the idea of it should not, it should be up to be used to benefit other people so they can build their houses that can float.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I don't find it ironic at all that a speech about freedom and equality is being censored for greed. In the end, this is the world we live in, a world that puts money above enlightenment and development of society. In our world money is worth (for the majority of people, not all of course, but the ones that don't feel like this, like me, are few and don't matter in the large picture) more then life.
    Isn't that how life has been since forever? Greed>Life
    I am not Voting Trump because I support him, its about keeping a Career Criminal out of office that mishandles classified information.
    Beta males can cry on how I will not vote for their brood mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Have you even considered the perspective of the 'violent' muslims?

Deleted
    Copyright as well as patents in general are way too wide and last too long.

Deleted
    this is seriously wrong...

15+ Year Old Account
    How can you copyright an idea is beyond me. This speak holds a piece of America, a revolution of it. This is trying to patent history itself and trying to do that is ignorance at its true evil core.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Excuse me while I go open a case of WHAT THE FUCK.

Seriously?! SERIOUSLY?! Do they not realize this, in now way, will help America's racial problems?
    They don't want to help the racial problems. If the racial issues were to stop tomorrow they would lose money, power and a powerful tool to hold over people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

MLK's family have long been idiots, except his wife Coretta. That being said, I wasn't aware you could copyright a speech spoken in front of millions, and televised to the nation. He said it in public, not at a private gathering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like bullshit to me. It was a speech given in a public forum for public consumption. Anyone could film it and distribute it. It would be like copyrighting Obama's 2013 Inauguration.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    This man has spoken to the world. Not to scum like Viacom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone needs to have a talk with those heirs and tell them how MLK would be ashamed of them. I know I would be.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

15+ Year Old Account
    That's what our world these days is about. Democracy, freedom for everyone - in case you pay enough. And if you pay, you get your censored freedom.

Take it from a youtuber, copyrights suck.

what are they afraid of, that people are going to steal the speech or something? it was a speech, why is it copyright in the first place, especially considering what the speech is about. you want it to be heard by all, or rather, you want it to be heard by all -IF- you pay for it. what is that quote... greed will consume us all.