Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

'I have a Dream' speech censored

http://www.amara.org/en/videos/gDYbd...are-it-anyway/

http://vimeo.com/57653391#at=0

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...edom-day.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Have_a_Dream

How fucking ironic that speech that promotes "...one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.” is being censored.

What a coincidence that its on the anniversary that sopa was finally shut down too.

I can't fathom how "I Have a Dream" wouldn't fall under fair use guidelines.

10+ Year Old Account
    His heir's have made a shit load of money off of his speeches and his likeness. Its sickening.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much respect as I have for MLK . . . that's disgusting. That is abuse of copyright law.
    Putin khuliyo

Wow. I think copyright laws need a major enema.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its amazing that a speech that went against racism in the fucking 60s is being actively censored and removed in 2013. And that nobody seems to really want to tell his heirs to fuck off.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Excuse me while I go open a case of WHAT THE FUCK.

Seriously?! SERIOUSLY?! Do they not realize this, in now way, will help America's racial problems?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

15+ Year Old Account
    That's utterly disgusting. I don't mind his family getting a bit of money from it. But you'd think that 800k would be enough to set them up for quite a while.
    When the MLK Memorial was recently built in Washington DC, the family was able to get nearly $800,000 just to use his words and likeness.

I find it ironic that a speech about freedom and equality is being censored because of sheer greed. Do the heirs of his estate have no respect for what that speech even stood for? Or even understand the implications of this in regards to future racial tension?

Deleted
    I don't find it ironic at all that a speech about freedom and equality is being censored for greed. In the end, this is the world we live in, a world that puts money above enlightenment and development of society. In our world money is worth (for the majority of people, not all of course, but the ones that don't feel like this, like me, are few and don't matter in the large picture) more then life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate to sound like I don't care (I agree that it's horrible for anyone to want to copyright something with so much meaning in history), but just go to YouTube and search "I Have a Dream speech".

Ironic, but that's the kind of world we live in; so I'm not surprised at all.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

The irony, it burns!

Copyrighted =/= Censored

Deleted
    I see Vimeo is taking lessons of fascism from YouShit.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's disgusting that things have come to this. People protecting property to make a buck. I'm sure MLK would like his speech to be heard, but he should be the one to say if he wants people to hear it - not the heirs. Copyright is censored by corporation corruption.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Copyrighted =/= Censored
    I don't know, maybe we should ask the author of the speech. Wait... he's dead? So then... to whom is it copyrighted to? His children? Why, did his children tell the speech themselves, did they invent it? No, so by this simple thing it does not belong to them.

Yes, under dumb laws it does. The same way someone can go and say "you'll let me do who I want, you know who my father is?" is exactly like this thing. They are profiting over the work that does not belong to them simply because they existed (since they were his children). They do not deserve to.

And, because it does not belong to them, but to their father, a person who is dead... it is censorship. By law it's called copyright though since the law is stupid... funny, that's one of the ideas of the speech to rise above unjust laws. In that case it was slavery, in this case it's copyright.

That just makes me really sad. I have been to the hotel and the attached museum where Dr. King has been shot. While I was there - I am not very religious or spiritual - I still had something like an awe inspiring feeling of the struggle he underwent, but also of the kindness and love he radiated. I just hope that his heirs, just enforce the copyright, when MLK's words are used for monetary gain and not when your average enlightened Joe just wants to share those Benign words with their respective communities.

What is even more ironic is that Martin Luther King was a preacher. You would think his family would want his legacy shared more freely instead of putting it in a bottle to make large profit. There is a saying "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." You don't have to be religious to see how this quote relates to this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by arcticsnow View Post
    What is even more ironic is that Martin Luther King was a preacher. You would think his family would want his legacy shared more freely instead of putting it in a bottle to make large profit. There is a saying "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God." You don't have to be religious to see how this quote relates to this situation.
    I don't see the irony there. This seems like the defining characteristics of modern American Christianity (profiteering and hypocrisy) rather than something that fits any definition of irony.