Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    Since this topic comes up a lot with a lot of dispute, and you seem pretty confident... would you break down for us the current sub count by region?
    *with relevant sources. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    The body of potential players is massive. 3 to 5 times as many people have played WoW than are currently playing. Then there's the people who have never played that could potential pick up the game.
    I think the point Master Hamster was trying to make is that the potential audience of WoW players is nearly saturated.
    There's only so many people in the world open to playing a fantasy computer game requiring an Internet connection and a monthly sub fee.

During Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath, that pool of people was discovering the game and signing up in droves. Even though many were also quitting WoW during those first few years, they were outnumbered by the influx of people looking to try out this new phenomenon called Warcraft.

Kind of like looking for oil. Most of the WoW audience has now been tapped. It's getting harder and harder for Blizzard to find people who might enjoy WoW who haven't played it already. This also explains why new patches and expansions cause such an influx... former players return for a bit, then slowly drop off. But new blood is not replacing them. Blizzard and investors know this... it's not exactly cause for alarm. Everyone leaves the game eventually, many just never return because they are tired of it.

It's also why the comments about how much better WoW was in TBC and Wrath because it was gaining subs are moronic. The market was untapped.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerBear View Post
    I think the point Master Hamster was trying to make is that the potential audience of WoW players is nearly saturated.
    There's only so many people in the world open to playing a fantasy computer game requiring an Internet connection and a monthly sub fee.

During Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath, that pool of people was discovering the game and signing up in droves. Even though many were also quitting WoW during those first few years, they were outnumbered by the influx of people looking to try out this new phenomenon called Warcraft.

Kind of like looking for oil. Most of the WoW audience has now been tapped. It's getting harder and harder for Blizzard to find people who might enjoy WoW who haven't played it already. This also explains why new patches and expansions cause such an influx... former players return for a bit, then slowly drop off. But new blood is not replacing them. Blizzard and investors know this... it's not exactly cause for alarm. Everyone leaves the game eventually, many just never return because they are tired of it.

It's also why the comments about how much better WoW was in TBC and Wrath because it was gaining subs are moronic. The market was untapped.
    I understand that the pool of potential players who have never played WoW has diminished significantly. When asked about how D3, Titan, and other games draw people away from WoW, Pardo doesn't seem worried because WoW only has a fraction of the market.

Pardo's conclusion is this: "So looking at it logically, if we can get them interested, you could have the same subscriber base without cannibalizing WoW too badly."
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-02-11 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Crap, I deleted half of what I wanted to say and then forgot what it was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Evidence? There was ONE QUARTER where they said the majority of the net loss was in the east, but AFAIK they never said that about the expansion as a whole.

---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 03:10 PM ----------

And remember, saying someone is committing a felony is libel if they aren't. So be careful -- such idle insinuations could end you up at the losing end of a big civil lawsuit.
    I was thinking it was the last 2 quarters of cataclsym they said that wasnt it? Thats where the worst of the sub losses came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I was thinking it was the last 2 quarters of cataclsym they said that wasnt it? Thats where the worst of the sub losses came from.
    No, it was only Q3 2011.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    No, it was only Q3 2011.

K well anyways the majority of losses this time were in China which is fine with me. Id rather they not even count china as subs honestly.