Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
5
13
53
... LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...that's 10% of the current audience, son. :P
    And 50% of the closest rival and more than double of the rest of the competition.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 02:20 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    MoP is holding steady at about 10-10.5 million players.

    Blizzcon 2013 announced.

    Profits are up from services, D3, and the pet store.
    Pretty much the only thing stockholders really care about.

  2. #42
    Pretty sure subs already were over 10 million again last quarter call, I could be wrong. Either way I expect them to be down to 9.5m or even a little lower, they definitely did not go up. Either way, I don't really care...they are pushing out quality content (IMO) on a regular basis and if this trend continues it will be the first time in the history of the game they do so successfully throughout.

    There will be a Blizzcon this year for sure, lots of things I'm sure they will want to talk about....still not sure that Titan will be one of them, but another WoW xpac will be announced for sure and maybe a D3 xpac as well.
    Last edited by PBitt; 2013-01-19 at 02:29 AM.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    And 50% of the closest rival and more than double of the rest of the competition.
    Don't turn this into an MMO vs MMO thing. I'm talking about profits and stock holders. They can care less about how well they're doing against their competition... they care if they themselves get a loss.

    EDIT: I also don't believe D3 is doing that well. It's almost pure crickets at this point in the game's life cycle, especially considering how many have left after the first month... therefore the RMAH is probably underperforming very much to their expectations. Trust me... box sales don't matter this time around... Blizz isn't about box-sales anymore.
    Last edited by mvallas; 2013-01-19 at 03:03 AM.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Don't turn this into an MMO vs MMO thing. I'm talking about profits and stock holders. They can care less about how well they're doing against their competition... they care if they themselves get a loss.

    EDIT: I also don't believe D3 is doing that well. It's almost pure crickets at this point in the game's life cycle, especially considering how many have left after the first month... therefore the RMAH is probably underperforming very much to their expectations. Trust me... box sales don't matter this time around... Blizz isn't about box-sales anymore.
    It's a little ridiculous that people think the RMAH was created with the sole purpose to earn Activision/Blizzard money. Sure they got maybe a few hundred thousand at the peak but that is hardly a dent in what they make with their flagships.

    Also everyone here must have a lode of money invested in Activision/Blizzard stock.
    "Dear your holiness, your army is safe and sound, they're down here dying for you."
    Bayside is a cult.

  5. #45
    Brewmaster mitbrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    holland
    Posts
    1,372
    I think they're going to talk about Blizzcon 2013, as it has already been kind of "comfirmed" on twitter by Mike Morhaime. Other than that i guess the usuall sub talk
    When your enemies meet death , it is my face that shall greet them.
    [

  6. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    Pretty much any game with over 10 million players deserve to be treated like it's a big success XD

    I don't necessarily agree with OP though, I don't believe the amount of subscriptions dropped that much. To me MoP is a success, much more than Cata. Just sad that dailies & pandas are making it a bit less good, but it's not enough to make it substantially drop.
    Any game with over 1 million players is a success. 10 million is a flat out hit.
    Perfect example of why "community" forums are poisonous to the health of a development team. These developers are wasting hundreds of hours trying to stem the tide of incessant bitchery that would never, ever abate so long as these entitled, unfortunate human beings don't get their way.

  7. #47
    Banned JhanZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ON, Canada
    Posts
    575
    People expecting a dip in subs have no idea what they are talking about.

    Dip in subs in Cata happened because of a clear content void. They've clearly given players something to do this expac, either subs stay still or rise up.

  8. #48
    The Insane Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Twitch & Youtube
    Posts
    18,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Any game with over 1 million players is a success. 10 million is a flat out hit.
    Well with that logic we know for sure GW2 and WoW are kings right now, ToR may or may not be under 1M.

    But WoW will be historic as /the/ MMO. It managed to not only unseat TWO Everquests, but beat both their peaks combined.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-18 at 09:41 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post
    People expecting a dip in subs have no idea what they are talking about.

    Dip in subs in Cata happened because of a clear content void. They've clearly given players something to do this expac, either subs stay still or rise up.
    I think they're basing it on 2 things.

    1. They have friends that have quit the game or guilds that have died post-5.0

    A. The rage over dailies on these forums


    Either way, the losses could be offset with new/returning players. I mean a lot of players who left in the runup to MoP said they left and would return.
    Human Female Gladiator (DPS Prot) Warrior. Wyrmrest Accord - US.

    "You should only install Warlords on your master hard drive. They will never be slaves." - @CM_Lore

    Better version of my avatar.

  9. #49
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,842
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I also don't believe D3 is doing that well. It's almost pure crickets at this point in the game's life cycle, especially considering how many have left after the first month... therefore the RMAH is probably underperforming very much to their expectations. Trust me... box sales don't matter this time around... Blizz isn't about box-sales anymore.
    I'm sure they had some hopes and a forecast for the RMAH but little more. Basically, they had no clue at all how the RMAH was going to work out. I've thought from the beginning that the RMAH was a test run for future projects and I'm sure they've learned a lot from it.

    I'll also politely disagree that box sales/downloads don't matter. D3 isn't an MMO (even though it has some aspects of one) and box sales and people purchasing through downloads are important. Half a billion plus dollars in sales matters a great deal (although not for Q4 so much although I'd be interested to know how many units did sell over the holidays...CoD was the big item for Activision this holiday season though so that's what will matter most on the call in a few weeks). As will sales of what is sure to be an eventual expansion.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-01-19 at 04:16 AM.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Dip in subs. How much remains to be seen.
    I am going to predict a very sizable dip in subs due to forced dailies and CRZ most definitely made me and others unsubscribe.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    I am going to predict a very sizable dip in subs due to forced dailies and CRZ most definitely made me and others unsubscribe.
    Yet there are no forced dailies that you speak of.
    End SJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    I fucking hate this LGBT and gender equality shit invading video games.

  12. #52
    Stood in the Fire grumpyoldman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    I am going to predict a very sizable dip in subs due to forced dailies and CRZ most definitely made me and others unsubscribe.
    Half million players unsubscribe because of CRZ. Yeah, I can totally believe this.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Yet there are no forced dailies that you speak of.
    Perspective is everything... you know what he/she means. And yes, I know what you mean too and I actually agree with you... but to somebody brought up with a min/max kinda mental pushing insanity - it's "forced" in their perspective, because they feel compelled to max everything or else they will consider themselves bad, or lacking, or some other nonsensical idea.

    It's like that species of dog that doesn't stop eating unless you take its food dish away. It will keep eating until its stomach explodes... it's just a survival instinct. The min/maxers have a similar problem... they can't even fathom the idea of "optional" or the idea of not maximizing everything. To them, "optional" is another word for being a "lazy/bad player".

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 04:37 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldman View Post
    Half million players unsubscribe because of CRZ. Yeah, I can totally believe this.
    I actually can believe it. It's still hotly debated today on the WoW general forums, possibly the hottest one since the original plan to implement real names on the forums. Definitely one of the longest living debates for certain! (next to PVP balances - of course :P)

    A lot more than 500k left due to suck heroics and other minor changes during Cataclysm.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Perspective is everything... you know what he/she means. And yes, I know what you mean too and I actually agree with you... but to somebody brought up with a min/max kinda mental pushing insanity - it's "forced" in their perspective, because they feel compelled to max everything or else they will consider themselves bad, or lacking, or some other nonsensical idea.

    It's like that species of dog that doesn't stop eating unless you take its food dish away. It will keep eating until its stomach explodes... it's just a survival instinct. The min/maxers have a similar problem... they can't even fathom the idea of "optional" or the idea of not maximizing everything. To them, "optional" is another word for being a "lazy/bad player".

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 04:37 AM ----------



    I actually can believe it. It's still hotly debated today on the WoW general forums, possibly the hottest one since the original plan to implement real names on the forums. Definitely one of the longest living debates for certain! (next to PVP balances - of course :P)

    A lot more than 500k left due to suck heroics and other minor changes during Cataclysm.
    Well the reason I say forced in my case, I'm no raider. Upon hitting 90 on my main I had 3 options: Endless dailies, Level and Alt, or Run Heroics. Of course before I got to the endless dailies, I finished up the questlines in each of pandaria's zones. For me, the main story was one of the driving force behind my gameplay. 5.1 had gated the main story behind yet more dailies.

    CRZ made leveling an alt impossible through questing, as people from other servers did not like people not on their own server, and would verbally assault them. And since I had transfered to get away from certain people from a certain realm, I did not wish to continue questing under the forced CRZ. So I was limited to dungeon grinds, which got old real fast.

    So couple my extreme dislike of CRZ with no way to opt out of it and the fact it broke my passenger mounts which I used for transporting guildmates for guild RP events, and then the endless wall of dailies at 90, and Blizzard gating the main story behind yet more dailies, it was what led me to unsubscribe. I liked the game, but as long as CRZ remains without a way to opt out so my passenger mounts work properly and I can avoid people I don't care to encounter, and the main storylines in WoW stop being gated behind a wall of dailies, I'm not sure if I can ever subscribe to the game again. Just giving an opt out option for CRZ would be enough to get me back to WoW I believe. That was the main force that drove me away, along with Ghostcrawler's responses in regards to CRZ.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    Well the reason I say forced in my case, I'm no raider. Upon hitting 90 on my main I had 3 options: Endless dailies, Level and Alt, or Run Heroics. Of course before I got to the endless dailies, I finished up the questlines in each of pandaria's zones. For me, the main story was one of the driving force behind my gameplay. 5.1 had gated the main story behind yet more dailies.
    Read the bolded part. It can't be forced if you have options. Do I need to bring up a dictionary for the word forced?
    End SJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Lesane View Post
    I fucking hate this LGBT and gender equality shit invading video games.

  16. #56
    Small shift in total current subscription for WoW -- 300k to 500k in either direction (impossible to tell, with so many factors at play). In effect stable.

    Increase in profit.

  17. #57
    Have Blizzard's profits ever gone down in recent memory? Even during Cataclysm when the game was losing subscribers at what was then a pretty notable rate, profits kept increasing.

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    Well the reason I say forced in my case, I'm no raider. Upon hitting 90 on my main I had 3 options: Endless dailies, Level and Alt, or Run Heroics. Of course before I got to the endless dailies, I finished up the questlines in each of pandaria's zones. For me, the main story was one of the driving force behind my gameplay. 5.1 had gated the main story behind yet more dailies.

    CRZ made leveling an alt impossible through questing, as people from other servers did not like people not on their own server, and would verbally assault them. And since I had transfered to get away from certain people from a certain realm, I did not wish to continue questing under the forced CRZ. So I was limited to dungeon grinds, which got old real fast.

    So couple my extreme dislike of CRZ with no way to opt out of it and the fact it broke my passenger mounts which I used for transporting guildmates for guild RP events, and then the endless wall of dailies at 90, and Blizzard gating the main story behind yet more dailies, it was what led me to unsubscribe. I liked the game, but as long as CRZ remains without a way to opt out so my passenger mounts work properly and I can avoid people I don't care to encounter, and the main storylines in WoW stop being gated behind a wall of dailies, I'm not sure if I can ever subscribe to the game again. Just giving an opt out option for CRZ would be enough to get me back to WoW I believe. That was the main force that drove me away, along with Ghostcrawler's responses in regards to CRZ.
    ...I stand corrected on my assumption. My bad. :P

    Well written... and thanks, because I think similarly to you how you are portrayed here - and this makes me even more wary of trying MoP.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...I stand corrected on my assumption. My bad. :P

    Well written... and thanks, because I think similarly to you how you are portrayed here - and this makes me even more wary of trying MoP.
    This opinion and experience are in the minority. Don't get me wrong, it's valid to feel that way if that is his/her and your experience.

    But all the threads filled with people dissatisfied about dailies have large portions of people disagreeing with that portrayal of dailies, same with CRZ. Again, don't get me wrong -- I have my problems with CRZ but this is the first time I've heard of people being verbally assaulted by other-realm players (which of course isn't to say it never happens, but I honestly can't help but feel this is one bad experience that is being highlighted amongst dozens/hundreds/thousands of experiences where no such thing happened ... one bad experience standing out in memory over dozens/hundreds/thousands of neutral/positive ones)

  20. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Alewen View Post
    Well the reason I say forced in my case, I'm no raider. Upon hitting 90 on my main I had 3 options: Endless dailies, Level and Alt, or Run Heroics. Of course before I got to the endless dailies, I finished up the questlines in each of pandaria's zones. For me, the main story was one of the driving force behind my gameplay. 5.1 had gated the main story behind yet more dailies.

    CRZ made leveling an alt impossible through questing, as people from other servers did not like people not on their own server, and would verbally assault them. And since I had transfered to get away from certain people from a certain realm, I did not wish to continue questing under the forced CRZ. So I was limited to dungeon grinds, which got old real fast.

    So couple my extreme dislike of CRZ with no way to opt out of it and the fact it broke my passenger mounts which I used for transporting guildmates for guild RP events, and then the endless wall of dailies at 90, and Blizzard gating the main story behind yet more dailies, it was what led me to unsubscribe. I liked the game, but as long as CRZ remains without a way to opt out so my passenger mounts work properly and I can avoid people I don't care to encounter, and the main storylines in WoW stop being gated behind a wall of dailies, I'm not sure if I can ever subscribe to the game again. Just giving an opt out option for CRZ would be enough to get me back to WoW I believe. That was the main force that drove me away, along with Ghostcrawler's responses in regards to CRZ.
    You lost me at the part where you claimed somebody went out of their way to talk to you while you were questing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •