Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    They are in 5.2 if you've read the Patch notes.

400k is barely anything.

It's not the mass exodus that was Cataclysm.
    over 10 million to 9.6 million is over 400k we really do not know how many people over 10 million they had could be 1 or could be 1 short of 11 million

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    About what I was expecting. About what should have been expected really. People buy games and then stop playing shortly after release, a lot of the gains for new patches / new expansions are temporary, and at this stage where it's difficult to get into WoW (WoW is freaking daunting for a person just getting into it.) the subs lost will be greater than the subs gained. It's extremely unlikely that going forward WoW will hit it's peak number again, the only place to go from here is down, and best case scenario is being stable. I have an active sub and I like MoP, but I have to be honest and realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    The number of subscriptions have nothing to do with in game mechanics.

In the new world of MMORPG's where free to play is the standard, it is already a miracle WOW has all these subs, because the rest stands at 0.000.000 subs.
    Free to play is not the standard. The standard right now is "Cash Grab." - Companies release MMOs and make money while they can, and then go Free to Play within a year and milk die hard fans through microtransactions. It's not about making a good product, it's about making the most money you possibly can.

I personally expected another "over 10 million" line again. I had a "not bad" reaction to the 9.6 million number. The next number will be interesting they release will be interesting as people finish off leveling their characters and all the new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    Losing 400k + subs in (essentially) the quarter you release an expansion is troubling.
    An expansion that needs tweaks because it's controversial is not surprising in the slightest.

Tweaking those features for Q1 of 2013, if people don't feel like Blizzard pissed in their cereal bowl or killed their puppy, will cause a gain again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    more than 400k lost and it can only go down from here, very nice.

I really like this expansion, loads better than cata was. I was honestly expecting a rise in subs. Oh well, wasn't as bad as I expected if there WAS a drop. Either way it's better for us, they'll change things up for the better (hopefully).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    Losing 400k + subs in (essentially) the quarter you release an expansion is troubling.

Agreed and the only thing that stopped the mass exodus for a short period of time was the release of mop

So about a 400k~ (give or take) loss.

That's..not much.

After a few months of a new expansion launched, therefore having new shiny content available? Just a few days after christmas? I think its a good chunk of sub loss..

Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    over 10 million to 9.6 million is over 400k we really do not know how many people over 10 million they had could be 1 or could be 1 short of 11 million
    Matter of opinion then. I don't find 400k is that much in the slightest.

Wow, down over 400k in the span of a few months, WITH content and a NEW expansion? Doesn't bode well for WoW at all. If they are pumping out content and still hemorrhaging subs than they have a great deal to worry about, fanboy opinions withstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    After a few months of a new expansion launched, therefore having new shiny content available? Just a few days after christmas? I think its a good chunk of sub loss..
    As I've said in the last few posts I've made, I don't find that as big a substantial number as you'd think, but I do understand what you're saying and your PoV.

They are in 5.2 if you've read the Patch notes.

400k is barely anything.

It's not the mass exodus that was Cataclysm.
    They are not changing enough, and this loss is a big one considering the context.

How does this work, if they had >10m at 25 sept, and they have 9,6m Q4 (oct-des). Does this mean they lost 400k during 25th sept-30 sept? Im assuming if a sub expires at oct 1. it will still be counted in Q4, am I right by assuming this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post
    Wow, down over 400k in the span of a few months, WITH content and a NEW expansion? Doesn't bode well for WoW at all. If they are pumping out content and still hemorrhaging subs than they have a great deal to worry about, fanboy opinions withstanding.
    That's not hemorrhaging subs. That's a slight loss.

We know the subs lost and not those belonging to the legions of whining wastes of space complaining endlessly on the official forums about daily quests and "forced" rep grinding because you need an active sub to QQ on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post
    It's not that. It's the fact that looking as Cata and the downfall that it was, it's no surprise there's still a decrease.

I'll be honest: in my gut I thought it'd be bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by supersykke View Post
    Now that we know that the number has declined I foresee several people claiming that WoW is dying.

I on the other hand am enjoying the game more than ever before.
    For sure. And tons of people citing the sub loss as proof that whatever thing they personally hate is the cause of the drop because obviously the entire group of people who left agree with them.

The subscriber number is meaningless, regardless of if it goes up or down, because we do not get it with enough context. What was the breakdown by region? Of those that left, what were the listed reasons? Nobody can draw any conclusion from the number alone except that 400k fewer people worldwide are playing. But they will of course try to extrapolate a simple number into all kinds of crazy arguments from now until the Q1 2013 report.
    I found I enjoyed the game significantly more when I stopped paying attention to all the people on the forums telling me how much I am supposed to hate it
    All this complaining is simply further proof that Blizzard could send each and every player a real-life wish-granting flying unicorn carrying a solid gold plate of chocolate chip cookies wrapped in hundred dollar bills, and someone would whine that Blizzard sucks for not letting them choose oatmeal raisin.

Deleted
    Looks like adding boring ass dailies helped a lot. Lollol.

As I've said in the last few posts I've made, I don't find that as big a substantial number as you'd think, but I do understand what you're saying and your PoV.
    DS launch had 0 sub loss and was considered a failure, MoP launch quarter has over 400k, and its fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    They are not changing enough, and this loss is a big one considering the context.
    So what aren't they changing?

Dailies? Changing that.

PVP? Fixing that.

Raids? Huge new one.

Valor Points? Easier to get.