Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's not a big deal. Generally there is a decline of subs 60 - 90 days after a launch. There are many games and MMOs to choose from out there, more choices mean people aren't locked into something. And they can stop and go their sub anytime they want.

Not surprised and not concerned.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by fuZinator View Post
    I did not realize my time registered on this site is indicative of my knowledge of WoW. I'm posting here because my sub has been out since November and I cannot post on the WoW forums.

Yet again, you're focusing on the wrong thing. The amount of players lost in this time frame is the focus point here.

I'll say it again. I DO NOT want WoW to die. I love this game and have played it for a long time. But with Cata/MoP blizzard has been making an awful lot of poor decisions concerning the game. What makes it even worse is an unwillingness to admit it.
    Every quarter call is a 3 month period yet you choose to ignore this.

Every sub loss at a quarter call related to a 3 month period, again you choose to ignore this to somehow add weight to this particular loss over this particular time period.

Also I was not referencing your registered time (which was back in November) but the specific posts you have chosen to make.
    Last edited by Hakto; 2013-02-08 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Sam thats what I have been told, but I find it funky aswell.
    Feel free to take what I say with a grain of salt, but going off of pure observation, it is indeed bullshit. I see the server sizes going from Very Heavy to Full all the time, they clearly switch, so if it was based upon accounts created, you wouldn't see fluctuations.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    Every quarter call is a 3 month period yet you choose to ignore this.

Every sub loss at a quarter call related to a 3 month period, again you choose to ignore this to somehow add weight to this particular loss over this particular time period.
    What in the hell are you going on about?

The fact still remains that is a large amount of players to lose in a short amount of time regardless of how much you do not want it to be. It's OK to be worried about WoW and the direction it's going. It's normal to worry about things you care about.

I'm not going to reply to you anymore. I know a brick wall when I see one and I'm not inclined to argue pointlessly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Moderation Note: Keep in mind the thread is about the Blizzard quarterly results announced yesterday. While it's inevitable that some comparisons might arise between one game or another, keep your comments to the business at hand. Testimonials to GW2 or any other game are out-of-bounds and liable to get you infracted for thread derailment. If you have nice things to say about another game we welcome that but put it in the appropriate forum.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

"Look at that! 400k users gone! WOw be dead yo! Just like I said, yeah I said 2 million but 500k is practically the same yo!"

"Pull up your pants. They still have 9.6 million subscribers which is like what? 9 times what other MMO's typically pack in, if not more?"

"Yo dude, half of those are from China and those aren't real subscriptions because they don pay for a whole month like we do."

"But its still a subscription right? They may pay less but they may also pay more than we do based on time spent playing?

"Well if the other MMO's were in China their numbers would be higher too Yo."

"And thats wow's fault that they don't sell their product in China?"

"Well no but they still don't exactly count as a subscription as far as I'm concerned."

"Okay, so discounting what you don't think really exists because of a different payment plan that still leaves 4.75 million other subscribers which is 4x's what other MMO's have right?"

"Well those numbers are inflated Yo because they do things to bring back players, like expansions, updates and year long contracts."

"So they did things to get people playing again and thats some kind of corporate hoax to make the game look better to trick more people into thinking the game is not dead?"

"Duuude, now you're getting it! Feels good to not be one of the blind sheep huh brah?"

More news just in.

WASHINGTON/DETROIT (Reuters) — President Obama will announce steps to help Blizzard on Monday, the White House said Friday, amid signs of progress for Blizzard in talks aimed at slashing its debt and cutting costs in response to the massive loss of 400k subscribers to World of Warcraft.

I just dont get how come Activision Blizzard racked up so much revenues. The metacritic scores of Call of Duty Black ops 2 (3.6/10), D3 (3.8/10) and mist of pandaria (4.3/10) are abysmal.

Yet all these games sold millions of copies and they made huge profits off of them. I really think Activision is killing PC gaming, PC games are all becoming as dumbed down as console games and its sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladar View Post
    I just dont get how come Activision Blizzard racked up so much revenues. The metacritic scores of Call of Duty Black ops 2 (3.6/10), D3 (3.8/10) and mist of pandaria (4.3/10) are abysmal.

Yet all these games sold millions of copies and they made huge profits off of them. I really think Activision is killing PC gaming, PC games are all becoming as dumbed down as console games and its sad.
    This may come as a shock to you but maybe, just maybe, metacritic isn't the most accurate yardstick?

Metacritic. Nuff said.

People bought their games simple as that. I am not sure that those scores accurately reflect the quality of the games but the problem is people will leave negative feedback and then still go and buy the next installment. You cannot blame publishers for producing crap when people are willing to buy it.

The metacritic score for MoP is 82/100.

Oh, you're talking about the user score where tons of newly created accounts flooded the game with 0/5 scores the night it launched? Yeah, I wouldn't take that number too seriously.

It's almost as if the Metacritic scores are totally meaningless!
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    "Look at that! 400k users gone! WOw be dead yo! Just like I said, yeah I said 2 million but 500k is practically the same yo!"

"Pull up your pants. They still have 9.6 million subscribers which is like what? 9 times what other MMO's typically pack in, if not more?"

"Yo dude, half of those are from China and those aren't real subscriptions because they don pay for a whole month like we do."

"But its still a subscription right? They may pay less but they may also pay more than we do based on time spent playing?

"Well if the other MMO's were in China their numbers would be higher too Yo."

"And thats wow's fault that they don't sell their product in China?"

"Well no but they still don't exactly count as a subscription as far as I'm concerned."

"Okay, so discounting what you don't think really exists because of a different payment plan that still leaves 4.75 million other subscribers which is 4x's what other MMO's have right?"

"Well those numbers are inflated Yo because they do things to bring back players, like expansions, updates and year long contracts."

"So they did things to get people playing again and thats some kind of corporate hoax to make the game look better to trick more people into thinking the game is not dead?"

"Duuude, now you're getting it! Feels good to not be one of the blind sheep huh brah?"
    Just for you:

I can't believe some of the comments i'm seeing in this thread.

Fact, wow still has over 9 million subscribers, most games don't even sell that many copies, never mind still be playing it bloody 8 years later.

It may have lost 400k subscribers, so? Its still got 20 times more subs than any other mmo on the market, most of which are now free to play.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Ahhaha ahahhaha. Soo funny. You mean just like they didnt get effected by a PvP game like GW2? oh wait...

You do know the PvP players are your most stable playerbase as the things they do and content required to retain them is so minimal. PvP players will play on the same maps for months. All they care about is their rating and their gear which gets reset ever so infrequently. Which is also why you dont want PvP players changing games because if they find a new high there going to stick with it unlike PvE players who whimsically play off and on depending on how fast they are clearing content if they are raiders or how bored they are with doing dungen runs and daily quests or leveling alts. These are the players the sub and unsub the most. Its harder to retain these players over long periods of time. So yea if TESO is a pvp game its gonna impact WoW subs.
    F2P PvP games like GW2, as well as MOBA, are competing with WoW on the PvP side. In WoW you need to grind your gear until you are competitive though. These games are both casual as well as hardcore friendly but not shitter friendly. In WoW, a shitter can grind gear and win from a person who put less (or no) effort. However the beauty of the WoW sub is that it it makes the bridge between PvP and PvE in WoW. Still, I think many of those current non-grind PvP games are former WoW PvP players.

It's astonishing the amount of people here that can't comprehend that a 400k loss in 3 months with content pumping in at a rapid pace is bad.

It's absolutely astonishing and quite frankly embarrassing. It's a fansite but people simply cannot wrap their heads around that this game is oozing subs at a rate equal or higher to cata year-by-year basis with content being pushed, unlike Cata.

It's amazing to me just how many of you are absolutely clueless.

Wake. Up. It's one thing to hate on the game, but seeing this bile is sickening.

It may have lost 400k subscribers, so?
    Look at this. Just absolutely laughable. No thought put into it. What an embarrassment you all are.

Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post
    It's astonishing the amount of people here that can't comprehend that a 400k loss in 3 months with content pumping in at a rapid pace is bad.
    Maybe we just understand the situation better than you do?

It amazes me how people are willing to jump to conclusions before really thinking things through.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post

It's absolutely astonishing and quite frankly embarrassing. It's a fansite but people simply cannot wrap their heads around that this game is oozing subs at a rate equal or higher to cata year-by-year basis with content being pushed, unlike Cata.

It's amazing to me just how many of you are absolutely clueless.

Wake. Up. It's one thing to hate on the game, but seeing this bile is sickening.

Look at this. Just absolutely laughable. No thought put into it. What an embarrassment you all are.
    WOW has lost 600k subs over the 12 months from Q4 2011 to Q4 2012. Overall I would say that isn't bad.

There has been some fluctuation, but 600k is the loss in that 12 month period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    WOW has lost 600k subs over the 12 months from Q4 2011 to Q4 2012. Overall I would say that isn't bad.

There has been some fluctuation, but 600k is the loss in that 12 month period.
    think your math is off

Q1 2011 - 600,000 subscribers lost
    Q2 2011 - 300,000 subscribers lost
    Q3 2011 - 800,000 subscribers lost
    Q4 2011 - 100,000 subscribers lost

Q1 2012 - Subscribers remained flat (no lost reported)
    Q2 2012 - 1.1 Million subscribers lost
    Q3 2012 - 10 Million Plus players (900k plus player gain)
    Q4 2013 - 400,000 PLUS subscribers lost