Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshinritsumai View Post
    Try half that. Worked there for a year, made somewhere between $10-12k, and that's with consistent 35-40 hrs per week @ $8.00/hr (CA state minimum).
    35*8*52 = 14560

    Maybe they pay people that can multiply a bit more.

  2. #42
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I thought you were just being sarcastic lol, but wow. You thought some regular job could earn $30k a MONTH. Yeah maybe Donald Trump.
    Donald Trump is more like 3 million or 30 million dollars a month.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurioxan View Post
    Yeeaaah i would say that for a highly qualified job 50k a year is quite mediocre
    Try being a scientist - NIH scale for postdocs is ~$40K.

  4. #44
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    12,607
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    EDIT: I missunderstood what they meant on the site. I thought they meant 30k each month since when we here in sweden talk about salaries we always talk in months. If it is 30k each year that is equal(if not less) to the salary for our cleaners in sweden and maybe you understand me then why i thought they talked about months?
    Yes, you misunderstood
    Salary is usually referred to as yearly income. Salary also means that you are usually not paid by the hour, rather a fixed salary per month, regardless of the hours you work. Some month it's good for you, some month it's good for the employer..

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Salary also means that you are usually not paid by the hour, rather a fixed salary per month, regardless of the hours you work. Some month it's good for you, some month it's good for the employer..
    For me, I prefer salaried work, regardless of month to month variance. I'd rather just know what my pay and duties are, and take care of business than feel obligated to hang around doing nothing useful to rack up money.

    Also, pretty much every job that has hourly pay is a shit job, but that's beside the point.

  6. #46
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Try being a scientist - NIH scale for postdocs is ~$40K.
    Yeah, it's rather sad scientists aren't paid more. Then again, I guess it's mitigated a bit by the fact scientists don't go into science for the sake of money.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Yeah, it's rather sad scientists aren't paid more. Then again, I guess it's mitigated a bit by the fact scientists don't go into science for the sake of money.
    To be fair, we can make plenty later in our careers, it's just awful at the outset.

    I have no problem with the market setting salaries based on demand in the private sector. What's fucked up, in my opinion, is that government positions aren't scaled to pay scientists with Ph.D.'s more than people with much less expertise and time investment in education.

  8. #48
    Fluffy Kitten Wikiy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Posts
    5,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    To be fair, we can make plenty later in our careers, it's just awful at the outset.
    Yeah, I hear scientist salaries triple after like 20 years of experience. At least in my country. Then again in my country a scientist's salary is significantly above the average salary even at the beginning.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    Yeah, I hear scientist salaries triple after like 20 years of experience. At least in my country. Then again in my country a scientist's salary is significantly above the average salary even at the beginning.
    Yeah, it varies enormously based on what you're doing. I'm fine with my current salary (a bit over two years out of grad school), but I look at what other postdocs are making and just shudder. In and of itself, the salaries basically fine after that initial step, they're plenty to live comfortably. The only thing I find galling is looking at professions that I personally have a lower opinion of (law and finance, particularly) and seeing gargantuan incomes. Oh well, I made my own bed!

  10. #50
    Seems rather lowish. Swedens salaries for a starting position of a master in engineering should be abit higher than in Finland. Here, they can expect about 36k euro minimum as a novice, with about a 15-25% increase in the first year.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Seems rather lowish. Swedens salaries for a starting position of a master in engineering should be abit higher than in Finland. Here, they can expect about 36k euro minimum as a novice, with about a 15-25% increase in the first year.
    Don't forget, despite a dollar being worth less than a euro when they're traded, income generally goes farther in the US than in Europe. I think your cited number is more or less in line with what the OP's saying, although his bottom end is lower.

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Don't forget, despite a dollar being worth less than a euro when they're traded, income generally goes farther in the US than in Europe. I think your cited number is more or less in line with what the OP's saying, although his bottom end is lower.
    With taxes and prices taken into account, we are about 30% poorer than a person with a similar income in US -.-

    But we do have "free" healthcare.

  13. #53
    Epic! Dave131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, Ca.
    Posts
    1,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    Household income, not individual people. Sorry, I was remembering it wrong.

    "Real median household income in the United States in 2011 was $50,054, a 1.5 percent decline from the 2010 median and the second consecutive annual drop."

    From: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea.../cb12-172.html
    Per HOUSEHOLD makes a lot more sense. That's a number I can believe.
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

  14. #54
    That's very low for robotics

  15. #55
    Legendary! Tierbook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Charleston SC
    Posts
    6,375
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    35*8*52 = 14560

    Maybe they pay people that can multiply a bit more.
    you seem to be forgetting a little thing called taxes
    You're a fine example of how gamer communities have become infested with endlessly whining and bitching, arrogant, opinionated, unreasonable, all the way immature, completely delusional, tendentially psychotic, insulting individuals one really doesn't want to be linked with. And playing with you guys is certainly no fun at all. I don't know where this kind of folks spawns from. Must be a nest somewhere ...
    A fine summarization of the community

  16. #56
    Made me look up what annual pay for my profession would be once I got finished (Assuming it would be the same area.) Looks like for Software development it is an average of $86,000 a year, with Chicago's annual being around $100,000. Kind of glad I switched over to this over Culinary ;D

  17. #57
    Frankly, that's not very high. But it all depends on where in the US you are. I make 80k+ and am still paycheck to paycheck for the most part.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  18. #58
    Pharmacists make 150k annually starting out, basically counting pills. #1 job in demand in the U.S so the starting pay will go up, its all about the market, really has nothing to do with the program. I would doubt there is a high demand for robotics, engineering isnt even that high atm.

  19. #59
    The Unstoppable Force Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    22,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat7 View Post
    Pharmacists make 150k annually starting out, basically counting pills. #1 job in demand in the U.S so the starting pay will go up, its all about the market, really has nothing to do with the program. I would doubt there is a high demand for robotics, engineering isnt even that high atm.
    Pharmacists do a lot more than "count pills". They are required to know what medications do to the body, what interactions they have with preexisting conditions and other medications, and dosages (and more, I'm being succinct).
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    I wouldn't expect someone who thinks science provides proof to know that.

  20. #60
    For starting its normal, u can grow very fast tho

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •