Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question Is it even possible to have this starting salary?

Hello!

I'm studying robotics(almost finished my first year of like 8) and i was curious how much my starting salary would be, so i googled it. What i found left me without words... Apparently the starting salary is 30-50k USD which is just absurd! How can it be this high?!

Are anyone of you mmo-champs a robotics engineer that could tell me if this is actually true? If it is, i'm about to jizz my pants

Source: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/robot...ge-salary.html

EDIT: I missunderstood what they meant on the site. I thought they meant 30k each month since when we here in sweden talk about salaries we always talk in months. If it is 30k each year that is equal(if not less) to the salary for our cleaners in sweden and maybe you understand me then why i thought they talked about months?
    Last edited by mittacc; 2013-01-19 at 01:02 AM.

Seven years from now it will likely be different either way.

That's really not huge amounts of money. I haven't looked up the robotics stuff, but I know people who work at McDonalds that make $30k a year. I think the last "average household income" type survey said that the average American earns roughly $50k a year.
    Last edited by Liagala; 2013-01-19 at 12:44 AM.
    [22:14] <+Lia> And why is Ruken molesting trees?
    [22:14] <@Rukentuts> Because they give me wood.
    [22:14] <+Lia> ...
    [22:14] <+Lia> worst pun ever
    [22:15] * Rukentuts boughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    That's really not very much money. I haven't looked it up, but I know people who work at McDonalds that make $30k a year.
    oh, is it for each year? I thought it was each month, explains it :P

Well, I dunno. I'm a computer scientist, and 3 months out of school I was offered a 75k USD/yr salary at my first job. Your salary sounds pretty reasonable, I guess.

That's the advantages of being a bona fide professional

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    Ugh.. oh my god.. Facepalm..

Are you sure you are studying ANYTHING?
    Intel i7-10700k | ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080 Ti | 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400Mhz
    A-Data SSD SP920 256GB | Seagate 1TB 7200rpm | NZXT Kraken x62
    Fractal Design Define R6 TG | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q
    Razer: Blackwidow Elite | Basilisk Ultimate | Nari Ultimate| Firefly | NZXT Hue+

salary is annual.
    however that still seems a bit low. I'd say 50ksh would be more average and if you are really talented you could look at 100k+

Quote Originally Posted by Azurenys View Post
    Ugh.. oh my god.. Facepalm..

Are you sure you are studying ANYTHING?
    In sweden we always talk about the salary in months, it is like europe and the us writes dates in different ways i guess. :P

Yup, went to an engineering school most of the computer engineers and electrical engineers that got out of there started at around 40K. Some of those that did co-ops/internships with companies while still in school were able to start closer to 50K. Now that its been 5-10 years though, they are making way more. Two guys went over to Iraq/Afghanistan a few years ago and were making $150K+ a year only a year or two out of school, working on bomb defusing robots and electro-magnetic signal jamming technology to keep them from remote detonating bombs. Make sure you study hard, becoming an engineer is not an easy thing to do.

LOL Yeah, that makes a pretty big difference. I'd be amazed at $30k a month too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    That's really not huge amounts of money. I haven't looked up the robotics stuff, but I know people who work at McDonalds that make $30k a year. I think the last "average household income" type survey said that the average American earns roughly $50k a year.
    I very much doubt that 50k is the average, and if it is, it HAs to be the very TOP end of the average...
    “Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." ~Frank Sinatra

Hello!

I'm studying robotics(almost finished my first year of like 8) and i was curious how much my starting salary would be, so i googled it. What i found left me without words... Apparently the starting salary is 30-50k USD which is just absurd! How can it be this high?!

Are anyone of you mmo-champs a robotics engineer that could tell me if this is actually true? If it is, i'm about to jizz my pants

Source: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/robot...ge-salary.html
    That's really not that much money for an engineer in anything. My friend is a CFD engineer and while I do not know her starting salary I estimated it around $60k +bonuses for coming up with all kinds of stuff... She's the only person I've ever known who can make me feel stupid

I thought you were just being sarcastic lol, but wow. You thought some regular job could earn $30k a MONTH. Yeah maybe Donald Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave131 View Post
    I very much doubt that 50k is the average, and if it is, it HAs to be the very TOP end of the average...
    Household income, not individual people. Sorry, I was remembering it wrong.

"Real median household income in the United States in 2011 was $50,054, a 1.5 percent decline from the 2010 median and the second consecutive annual drop."

From: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea.../cb12-172.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    salary is annual.
    however that still seems a bit low. I'd say 50ksh would be more average and if you are really talented you could look at 100k+
    Was my thought process too. That's hardly anything to write home about. Once you hit 6 figures, then you can start bragging :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

The avg starting salary for an engineer with a bachelors in my state is around 55-60k so if anything yours should be higher, esp w/ 8 year program.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I thought you were just being sarcastic lol, but wow. You thought some regular job could earn $30k a MONTH. Yeah maybe Donald Trump.
    No, I didn't think it could, that's why i created this thread to make sure and is a job in robotics a ''regular job'' ?

My education(tech, robotics) does only exist at one school in my country and in my class we're only 9 people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    30k a month isn't THAT much. Trump makes millions a month lol

10+ Year Old Account
    ..... you just lost all sense of validity.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

50k a year or month?