Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    but I know people who work at McDonalds that make $30k a year.
    Try half that. Worked there for a year, made somewhere between $10-12k, and that's with consistent 35-40 hrs per week @ $8.00/hr (CA state minimum).

That sounds about right. Most people in fields like that can make even more (Most Engineers start with 60-70k plus per year).

This is why people to go college.

It can depends on area a lot, in some places $40k is good money in some areas it is not much at all.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    In sweden we always talk about the salary in months, it is like europe and the us writes dates in different ways i guess. :P
    Yeap, in Spain we also think in months more over than years.

I must say that in 3 years working in Zara I only earn between 15k€-20k€ having 856 + commision (not usually more than a 100 execept for cristmas) per month wich is around 910-1000 at the end of the month. These Cristmas I earnt 2,5k (whole december) working on the 24th and 31th (40 hours /week). I´m surprise to see how someone has said that working on Mcdonalds you can make 30k per year.
    Last edited by mmoc6be59f45c9; 2013-01-19 at 01:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anshinritsumai View Post
    Try half that. Worked there for a year, made somewhere between $10-12k, and that's with consistent 35-40 hrs per week @ $8.00/hr (CA state minimum).
    I didn't say counter help just starting, I said people. That's just under $14.50 an hour, which is notl unreasonable for an assistant manager at a busy location. $30k is also reasonable salary for a store manager at a smaller store.
    [22:14] <+Lia> And why is Ruken molesting trees?
    [22:14] <@Rukentuts> Because they give me wood.
    [22:14] <+Lia> ...
    [22:14] <+Lia> worst pun ever
    [22:15] * Rukentuts boughs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanish4ever View Post
    Yeap, in Spain we also think in months more over than years.

I must say that in 3 years working in Zara I only earn between 15k€-20k€ having 856 + commision per month wich is around 910-1000. These Cristmas I earnt 2,5k (whole december) working on the 24th and 31th (40 hours /week). I´m surprise to see how someone has said that working on Mcdonalds you can make 30k per year.
    well, that sucks :s

Funny how i got bashed and my ''validity'' ran out because i thought it was in months when you usually speak in months in sweden. Such arrogance...
    Last edited by mittacc; 2013-01-19 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I thought you were just being sarcastic lol, but wow. You thought some regular job could earn $30k a MONTH. Yeah maybe Donald Trump.
    I don't think there are any entry level jobs that would give you $30k a month (aside from just getting lucky with some obscenely rich employees), but Wachtell Lipton (top law firm in USA for revenues per employee) used to pay $320k for new hire attorneys, which is as close to an entry level job paying $30k a month as you can get.

Of course you need to be in the top 10% of Harvard to get a chance at an interview there.

And my info is dated to 2007. Might've changed after the lawyer crisis.

btw, i'm from norway, and we never talk about salary by the month, always year. so i'm guessing it's you swedes that are weird, not the US :P haven't heard before that most countries in eu says pr month either :P anyway, 30k pr year sounds hilariously low :P that sounds like less than something you would earn at mcdonalds working 3 days a week beside school even :P

Quote Originally Posted by dar0 View Post
    btw, i'm from norway, and we never talk about salary by the month, always year. so i'm guessing it's you swedes that are weird, not the US :P haven't heard before that most countries in eu says pr month either :P anyway, 30k pr year sounds hilariously low :P that sounds like less than something you would earn at mcdonalds working 3 days a week beside school even :P
    Exactly! And since we speak of salary in months in sweden 30k usd a year would be around 18k crowns a year which is like a cleaners salary, which is way too low for a robotics engineer, right?

Exactly! And since we speak of salary in months in sweden 30k usd a year would be around 18k crowns a year which is like a cleaners salary, which is way too low for a robotics engineer, right?
    All starting salaries are low, it's the growth potential that you should be more concerned with, and an engineer that is skilled in his or her field can easily double or triple their starting salary after a year or two. Don't go into any industry with the idea that you'll make truckloads of cash right out of the gate.

when you say 18k SEK you probably ment 180k SEK :P i work in the railroad and i make about 700k NOK a year, so 30k USD a year sounds silly low :P

I've read up a bit and ''Sverige ingenjörer'' recommend that you demand a minimum of 29k sek/month which is about 53,5k usd/year.

source (swedish): http://www.ingenjorskarriar.se/lon/article3470217.ece

I graduated a few years ago with an electrical engineering degree from a state university. I now work for a defense contractor as a lvl 1 test engineer and i started out at about 65k + bonuses. I think if you were going to a prestegious school and were top of your class you might have a chance at 90-100k, but more likely your looking at around 50k.

oh, is it for each year? I thought it was each month, explains it :P
    Yeeaaah i would say that for a highly qualified job 50k a year is quite mediocre :P considering as mentioned before you can make 30k flipping burgers

I'm studying robotics(almost finished my first year of like 8) and i was curious how much my starting salary would be, so i googled it. What i found left me without words... Apparently the starting salary is 30-50k USD which is just absurd! How can it be this high?!
    Anything less than 50k per year starting salary for someone with an engineering degree is pretty low. Typical is between 50-60k. If you are excited about that amount of money though that is good since you wont be disappointed.

Edit: Oh I get it. He did a bad currency conversion. Anyway the correct conversion looks normal.
    Last edited by Prokne; 2013-01-19 at 02:58 AM.

Hello!

I'm studying robotics(almost finished my first year of like 8) and i was curious how much my starting salary would be, so i googled it. What i found left me without words... Apparently the starting salary is 30-50k USD which is just absurd! How can it be this high?!

Are anyone of you mmo-champs a robotics engineer that could tell me if this is actually true? If it is, i'm about to jizz my pants

Source: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/robot...ge-salary.html

EDIT: I missunderstood what they meant on the site. I thought they meant 30k each month since when we here in sweden talk about salaries we always talk in months. If it is 30k each year that is equal(if not less) to the salary for our cleaners in sweden and maybe you understand me then why i thought they talked about months?

Wish it was monthly, but fact remains 30k is pretty crappy salary for someone with a masters degree and a truckload of student loans to pay back

EDIT: I missunderstood what they meant on the site. I thought they meant 30k each month since when we here in sweden talk about salaries we always talk in months. If it is 30k each year that is equal(if not less) to the salary for our cleaners in sweden and maybe you understand me then why i thought they talked about months?
    I don't think there are any jobs with 30k per month (360k annually) as starting salary, let alone 50k per month (600k per year). Unless you're talking about professional sports.

US incomes aren't as high as some other countries, yet a lot higher than some other countries. But 30k per month is just not realistic

As to why it's 'only' 30-50k, when cleaners in Sweden according to you make 30k, well it's a starting salary. The website you linked has much higher salaries for just couple of years of experience, and I don't think cleaners pay changes that much from 30k, right?
    You also have to consider if you're your average guy, or a super-star working on latest technologies. I am sure you can make triple digits if you're a super star, but again, that would be 100k, not 600k

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol. 30-50k a month would be nice, but when it comes to US, it is annually as you found out. And depending where you live, 50K is not even enough.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have a double B.Eng. degree myself in both Mechatronics and Mechanical Engineering. My starting salary was way higher than that. I do live and work in Norway though, and I have quite a lot of traveling hours each year. I do know how the salary is in Sweden, and my advice is to try getting some international experience. By international experience I mean that you either study or move to a different country for some time. I studied in Singapore myself. The international experience would be contributing to a higher salary over time.

In regards to your degree, are you planning on taking a Ph.D.? In most countries 8-9 years would equal that degree. I have my doubts about being able to finish that course in such a strict manner. Your best bet would be to take a B.Eng. or a M.Sc. and taking the Ph.D. over time. I'm currently planning to start on a Ph.D. myself in close cooperation with my current employer.

Deleted
    oh, is it for each year? I thought it was each month, explains it :P

oh my gawd, nearly peed myself, thank your for cheering me up today.