1. #1

    Hunter Advice Needed

    Hello Everyone,
    Let me start by stating I have never played a Hunter before.
    I am looking for advice for to help out 2 Hunters in my raiding guild.
    I want to help them min>max a bit better so that they can get higher numbers, as I know they can.

    Armory
    Beast Master Hunter
    Survival Hunter

    Raid Logs
    Wind Lord Mel'jarak 10N - Wipe
    Wind Lord Mel'jarak 10N - Wipe
    Blade Lord Ta'yak 10N - Wipe
    Imperial Vizier Zor'lok 10N - Wipe

    From what ive read so far Beast Master and Survival are the best specs for raiding currently.
    There are some obvious things that need to be fixed like some reforging etc.
    So im looking for the experets in the community to help point out you recommend to be changed or worked on.

    Thanks for the help!

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Epictankz View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    Let me start by stating I have never played a Hunter before.
    I am looking for advice for to help out 2 Hunters in my raiding guild.
    I want to help them min>max a bit better so that they can get higher numbers, as I know they can.

    Armory
    Beast Master Hunter
    Survival Hunter

    Raid Logs
    Wind Lord Mel'jarak 10N - Wipe
    Wind Lord Mel'jarak 10N - Wipe
    Blade Lord Ta'yak 10N - Wipe
    Imperial Vizier Zor'lok 10N - Wipe

    From what ive read so far Beast Master and Survival are the best specs for raiding currently.
    There are some obvious things that need to be fixed like some reforging etc.
    So im looking for the experets in the community to help point out you recommend to be changed or worked on.

    Thanks for the help!
    Your SV hunter isn't using enough Explosive Shots. In the Wind Lord fight I had 72, while your hunter had 46.

    Tell him to spam Multy Shot, have Explosive Trap up as much as possible and when Lock and Load procs he should cast the 2 free explosive shots and then continue firing multy shot. On single target fights, whenever Lock and Load procs he should fire 3 Explosive Shots one after another, he doesn't have to worry about losing ticks, they all will do full damage.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctifer616 View Post
    Your SV hunter isn't using enough Explosive Shots. In the Wind Lord fight I had 72, while your hunter had 46.

    Tell him to spam Multy Shot, have Explosive Trap up as much as possible and when Lock and Load procs he should cast the 2 free explosive shots and then continue firing multy shot. On single target fights, whenever Lock and Load procs he should fire 3 Explosive Shots one after another, he doesn't have to worry about losing ticks, they all will do full damage.
    On Wind Lord he is tasked with ccing one of the Adds, if that makes any difference.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Epictankz View Post
    On Wind Lord he is tasked with ccing one of the Adds, if that makes any difference.
    So was I. He doesn't have 2 piece Tier bonus, but still Explosive Shot should be higher on his dps than Arcane Shot. He must use Explosive Shot as much as possible except on high aoe fights, then it should only be used when it procs since it's free.

  5. #5
    If he's slow on CCing the adds, he could use a macro to help CC them. Tell him to set his CC target as his focus, and use something like this

    /stopcasting
    /target focus
    /click ExtraActionButton1
    /targetlasttarget

    It helps minimize downtime from CC-ing adds.

  6. #6
    I'll do the stat stuff and leave log stuff to others
    As always, if any other hunters here catch something, please feel free to correct me.

    BM Hunter: Kedwyr

    Weapon: My first suggestion is that he continue Wrathion's quest chain and upgrade his weapon. He can obtain an extra gem socket in the gun by doing so.

    I think I see what he was going for: 9.092% haste, right?
    Well, he's under hit cap (7.5%) and over the haste point.
    That's a double loss.

    Here is the wowreforge plug I did on his character: http://wowreforge.com/US/Area%2052/Kedwyr

    Glyph: I would replace his misdirect glyph with this one personally --
    Glyph of Deterrence: Increases the damage reduction granted by Deterrence by 20%

    SV Hunter: Lotthar

    Looking at his armory shows he has 600 Jewelcrafting, but isn't taking advantage of it. He should socket the two 320 Agility gems available to him.

    Helm: He has a red socket, so he should pump a +160 agility gem over his perfect deadly tiger opal gem here. He'll still get the bonus.

    Chest: Prime example of where one of the 320 Agility gems can go. Replace the red gem socket with a 320 agility gem.

    Belt: Simply, no. I wouldn't even try to socket the bonus on this one. The belt also needs a buckle for a third slot. 3 Agility gems is ideal, but if he needs hit, an agi/crit and agi/hit gem will also work nicely on this.

    Pants: Perfect place to throw in that 2nd 320 Agility gem

    Relic: It's worth upgrading this trinket 2/2 if you can.

    Glyphs:
    Get rid of glyph of frost trap and snake trap.
    Instead get Glyph of marked for death (before TK hits) for your own dps
    Get Glyph of deterrence to help your healers out a bit

    Here is the wowreforge plug I did for his character: http://wowreforge.com/US/Area%2052/Lotthar


  7. #7
    Wow great info!
    Thanks alot i will pass these items along!

  8. #8
    Stop. Your SV hunter is almost 4% under expertise cap and over hit cap. They need to go read up on the basics. Both exp and hit should be at 7.5% - raiding with Expertise at 3.8% is just... wrong. Seriously, have him go look at guides here, warcrafthuntersunion.com etc and get the basics right. Gemming is all over the place too - some exp gems, some haste gems, etc. STACK AGI. AGI is his primary stat. If getting a socket bonus makes sense by all means do a hybrid gem (agi + something), but in almost all cases a gem socket should have agi or agi+stat. I can't think of any time when you'd use a pure secondary stat gem.

    In his case I'd wipe his reforges, go regem and then see where he was. Assuming he needed hit and exp still I'd reforge (reforgelite, wowreforge, etc) and set the constraints to cap hit and exp.

    After that, hit femaledwarf.com and start to see what it says he should do. Pay attention to shot priority, etc. Once you get the gear straightened around it's a) does he know shot priority, b) can/is he executing it (not forgetting things like Glaive Toss, ES on cooldown, etc) and c) can he execute it in a raid setting? The last will be harder if he's also tasked with CCing adds, etc. but practice should make that better. But on a fight like Feng etc he should be close to his FD.com projected DPS.
    Last edited by clevin; 2013-01-21 at 08:04 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •