Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.

4th spec Ideas, or the easy path for adding all the hero classes.

With the buzz right now about the next expansion and the possibility of a new class, I have been thinking of an idea which could give the feeling of more classes without adding more classes.
    Four specs per class. Basically take the idea that they were forced to do with Druids and spread it out over all the classes.
    Here is a list of past WC hero Classes

Paladin, Runemaster, Archmage, Mountain King, Blood Mage, Far Seer, Blademaster, Tauren Chieftain, Shadow hunter, Lich, Dread Lord, Crypt lord, Keeper of the grove, Priestess of the Moon, Demon Hunter, Warden, Beastmaster, Firelord, Dark ranger, Naga sea witch, Pandaren Brewmaster, Goblin Tinker, Goblin Alchemist, Pit Lord, Ranger, Dark Knight, Draenei Elder Sage, Warlock, Necromancer,

As you see many of these are already playable in game, or they are actual races and not Player Characters. However, a few notable classes are not yet represented.
    Necromancer, Demon Hunter, Runemaster, Far Seer, Blademaster, Shadow Hunter, Warden, Dark Ranger, Witch, Tinker, Ranger, Sage

Now we can saftly assume that one more class will be added, by all counts it will be a mail wearing tank class, possibly Demon Hunter. But for the rest what would the 4th spec be and do?

Fill in the Blanks:

Paladin -__Name & role___
    Warrior -__Name & role___
    Death Knight -__Name & role___

Hunter -__Name & role___
    Shaman -__Name & role___
    ?Demon Hunter?

Rogue -__Name & role___
    Druid -done
    Monk -__Name & role___

Mage -__Name & role___
    Warlock -__Name & role___
    Priest -__Name & role___

-----

My guesses

Paladin - maybe do something new?, Warrior - Blademaster DPS, Death Knight - Necromancer Range DPS,

Hunter - Dark Hunter/Ranger Petless DPS, Shaman - Sage Melee DPS
    ?Demon Hunter?

Rogue - Warden Tank, Druid -done, Monk - Runemaster Range DPS

Mage - maybe do something new?
    Warlock - Something new, but a full tank spec Basted on the Demon Hunting Glyph
    Priest - maybe do something new?
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2013-01-19 at 04:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Monk as runemaster doesnt make sense I think that would be a mage thing

as for priest maybe add a dps spec based on holy damage

That's not what makes a hero class. Hero classes are those that start at higher level, and are special.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    Mage should get Necromancer. I feel Necromancy would go will with them.

Warlock should get Demon Hunter.

For Hunters, Rangers or a melee spec. (Blood Elf Hunters are all basically Ranger)

Tinker as a new class (Just going to throw that out there).

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    That's not what makes a hero class. Hero classes are those that start at higher level, and are special.
    That is the case for WOW hero classes, but in the Warcraft game hero classes where special units characters. Many of which are actual player Characters like Warlocks, and Paladins. The reason I made this thread is they can squeeze some of the units into existing classes with out the need for more classes.

ie Necromancers can be made into a spec on Death Knights with out adding a whole new class of evil undead player characters. Even Demon Hunters can be added to Warlocks although that would mean that Night Elves would all of a sudden have the Warlock Class.

a 4th spec for all classes would be really great and new. I hope people going "Oh, it'll make balance too hard" won't prevent adding some new, fun specs to the game. Maybe even finally add some sort of support class that focuses on buffing, like a bard.

Personally I feel like the game is at a good place with classes and such. A fourth spec for everyone, not being tied to those specific "hero" classes I probably wouldn't mind, but then again I do think it is a bad thing to homogenize the classes too much, i.e. giving every class the ability to fulfill every role.

What I'd really want to see class specific weapons with lengthy solo quests along the lines of R'hokdelar (spelling?) brought back into the game. I had fun just watching friends, not being a hunter myself, try to get those bosses down. I know this was a bit off-topic but, there it is.

Paladin -Inquisitor - Holy caster
    Warrior - Titan's Grip specialized spec, dps
    Death Knight - Necromancer, Plate caster

Hunter - Medic, physical healer
    Shaman - Earth Tank

Rogue - Illusionist Tank
    Druid -done
    Monk - Leather Caster with red lightning

Mage - Time healer/dps (like Disc)
    Warlock - Dark Apotheosis/Demon Hunter Tank
    Priest - Holy/Shadow new dps spec

If there is going to be a 3rd mail class, I don't have a guess for yet it surely would not be Demon Hunter. This is Warlock as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Paladin -Inquisitor - Holy caster
    Warrior - Titan's Grip specialized spec, dps
    Death Knight - Necromancer, Plate caster

Hunter - Medic, physical healer
    Shaman - Earth Tank

Rogue - Illusionist Tank
    Druid -done
    Monk - Leather Caster with red lightning

Mage - Time healer/dps (like Disc)
    Warlock - Dark Apotheosis/Demon Hunter Tank
    Priest - Holy/Shadow new dps spec

If there is going to be a 3rd mail class, I don't have a guess for yet it surely would not be Demon Hunter. This is Warlock as of now.
    Warrior - Titan's Grip specialized spec, dps Think most warriors would go apeshit about not getting a new spec when everyone else does.
    Rogue - Illusionist Tank Why illusions? Evasion seems to fit better.
    Mage - Time healer/dps (like Disc) This one actually sounds like a lot of fun.

I think that every currently pure dps class should get a 4th spec that is either tank or healer. The idea of pure dps classes has become somewhat outdated now that they don't get a bonus to their dps for being pure. With that said:

Hunter - A tanking spec where they ride their pet, this removes the positioning issues of pet control and allows the pet to be the soaker and taunter while the hunter provides damage and utility while acting as a cohesive unit.

Rogue - I feel the rogue should get a healing spec for balance but the concept is a bit of a stretch. An apothecary/battle medic style healer, expands upon their expertise with poisons to create healing potions that they can toss around.

Mage - Healing spec based on the concepts of time reversal, cauterisation, and cryogenics. Thus using the mage's full repertoire of magic types. Cryogenic spells would keep damage off a target but it would continue to accumulate until you are able to use a time reversal spell to wipe it out. Cauterisation would be for triage.

Warlock - Not terribly unique here; a tanking spec based on the idea of the demon hunter glyph. Don't call it a demon hunter though, I believe there is enough design space for a whole class in the demon hunter concept.

Oh! I am totally one step ahead of ya! I love this sorta thing!

Warrior - Lancing - (Tank - polearm/spear + shield type tanking)
    :Mostly, I was trying to wonder what kind of fighting styles aren't covered in WoW. We got sword and board (Prot), Dual Wield (fury), Two-hander (Arms)... So I thought "Hey, warriors can't use a spear + shield, centurian style!" So yeah... If we can have dual two-handers, it should be as simple to balance a two-hander and shield.

Paladin - Inquistion - (DPS - Holy caster)
    : I am a sucker for magic... and I think the shockadin should definitely be a real thing. It probably wouldn't be all that hard to create a Holy resistance if needed, but yeah, Shockadins.

Shaman - Earthshaping (Tanking - Earth and fire shield tank)
    : Yeah, I know.. There is so much argument about if shamans should be a tank.. But hey, I think the Earth element is sorely underrepresented in Shaman spells, and it is typically depicted as the 'defensive element.' And come on, Shaman shields need to be used like a shield should!

Mage - Abjuration (Heals - Bubbles and wards) OR Temporal (DPS - Time based magic)
    :Time magic is starting to be a thing that's showing up in a few mage spells, so I thought it would be an interesting spec... Based around DoTs, duration effects, and a lot of strange and cool mechanics. I even ran up a simple idea for spells for it.
    :Alternatively, instead of ANOTHER DPS spec for mages, you could introduce Abjuration... which I would combine with Conjuration... both ideas I borrowed from D&D (like WoW does!). Basically, Abjuration is warding and shielding.. And conjuration spells in D&D have been used for healing. So, it'd kinda be like a less offensive Disc Priest... and probably be less 'spirit' based.

Warlock - Soul Bending (Heal - Drains and unholy healing)
    :Because everyone wants a Warlock healing spec... but strangely people want it to be Affliction (Do you KNOW what that word MEANS?). So, the idea behind Soul bending is that you use unholy magics to repair and heal your allies. It's not the nice, happy holy light.. but it gets the job done. Probably could be healing based around a bunch of different drain spells... or some spells that use your health... transfer health... I'd imagine it to be a bit more offensive and maybe a bit more risky.

Druid - Talon (DPS - Storm and nature magic)
    : Okay, I know druids already have a fourth spec, but imagine Druids of the Talon... casting storm and wind spells... creating hurricanes and gusts of wind... It'd be a lot more nature focused than balance... though being a bit less flexible in terms of schools.

Death Knight - Plague (DPS - Casting and Shadow)
    :This was a hard one to decide, honestly. So I just decided a Spec fully dedicated to casting, probably actually using Int gear to give paladins some competition. It would work around the diseases, similar to Unholy, but would be less reliant on pets. It would NOT be a pet spec.

Priest - Smiting (DPS - Holy Caster... again)
    :Similar to Paladins, honestly... yeah.

Rogue - Brutality (DPS - Banditry and Brigandry)
    :One thing I noticed is that rogues pretty much exclusively use daggers... all the time. So i figured, how about we make a rogue that isn't a small, frail thief or assassin, but a rogue like a bandit, brigand.. someone waiting to jump out and mug you. This spec would be focused on fists, swords, maces, and axes, and not on dangers.

Hunter - Tracking (DPS - Melee)
    :Back in vanilla beta, I believe survival hunters used to be melee-based. And while that is not true any more, I figured... why not? Why not make a hunter spec that fights alongside his pet on the front lines. Bring back some of that beta feel.

Monk - Firebrewing (DPS - Elemental damage)
    :Mistweavers are the Serpent, Brewmasters are the Ox, and Windwalkers are the tiger.. We need the crane, but we should make him special! So, this is your more... 'chi' based fighters, doing elemental damage. Your Kamehameha's... your hadokens... stuff like that... but probably more elemental.

These are just some fun ideas in my head. Enjoy them or not, I don't care.

I am curious to see what you guys come up with. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

It's cool to see people had similar ideas, though!

Warlock - Demon Hunter (Melee DPS or Tank)
    Mage - Battle Mage (Melee DPS or Tank)
    Death Knight - Necromancer (Caster DPS)
    Shaman - Shadow Hunter?
    Rogue - Dark Ranger? (Petless Ranged Physical Weapon DPS)

Tinker, Dragonsworn, Runemaster?

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem is your idea won't work in practice. On paper it makes sense, "Add a fourth spec and we can have all the hero classes that way."

But then you look at the Mage, who would have another bland DPS spec. Or rogue, who'd have another bland melee dps spec. Then you realize you can't add 4th specs to all classes, and thereby it's a nonworking solution.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Brash View Post
    Warrior - Titan's Grip specialized spec, dps Think most warriors would go apeshit about not getting a new spec when everyone else does.
    Rogue - Illusionist Tank Why illusions? Evasion seems to fit better.
    Mage - Time healer/dps (like Disc) This one actually sounds like a lot of fun.
    About that Warrior spec, it will be a new spec. Its just that fury will only have duals and whole new spec will be made with dual 2handers. Evasion could be an element of an illusionist rogue.

About that Warrior spec, it will be a new spec. Its just that fury will only have duals and whole new spec will be made with dual 2handers. Evasion could be an element of an illusionist rogue.
    I guess so, as a warrior I feel cheapened just thinking about this happening. Take something I already have and put it in a different box then resell it to me as a new product. =( Guess I shouldn't be so critical since this is all hypothetical.

Anyway, many of these 4th specs sound fun and actually a better alternative to adding more and more classes as the game gets older. Either that or take all classes down to one or two specs and combine specs into a new class, i.e. Take Survival(hunter) and Combat(rogue) and make a ranger type class with melee and ranged dps specs.
    Last edited by Brash; 2013-01-19 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Paladin - Caster DPS - saw someone say Inquisitor which seems to fit well
    Warrior - 2nd Tank spec maybe - Defender?
    Death Knight - Caster DPS - Runemaster

Hunter - Melee DPS - Scout?
    Shaman - Tank - Earthcaller
    Demon Hunter... I don't have any ideas for them atm

Rogue - range DPS - Sniper
    Druid - done
    Monk - Caster DPS - Cloudwhisper? Lightningcaller?

Mage - Healer - Time warden
    Warlock - no ideas atm
    Priest - Melee DPS - Cleric
    Last edited by Andrewin; 2013-01-19 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Change of opinion

Deleted
    I doubt the community would be satisfied with warlocks being demon hunters. The only marginal step into that area warlocks have taken is a tanking glyph and meta, which isn't what demon hunters are all about.

There's an absolutely huge gap between the two, that's without going into the fact that you can't have nelf warlocks (and shouldn't for pretty obvious lore reasons), thus can't have nelf demon hunters - it just doesn't work.

When warlocks start tanking, wielding mail / leather, dual wielding glaives and dodging - at what point do they stop being warlocks?

Which happens to be my beef with most 4th spec ideas - they just don't work as cleanly as an outright new class, there's far too many restrictions that either make the new spec "not play how it should" or you have to break those restrictions, at what point the spec may as well be a new class - because it's deviated so far from the current class it would be tied with.

3 specs is already pushing it with some classes - rogues and hunters come to mind. Adding a 4th either isn't going to be different enough, or is going to be so different that it makes no sense for it to be tied with the source spec.

Add new classes or specs when appropriate instead of shoehorning them into existing ones. Druids justified a 4th spec and got it, many classes don't - and shouldn't.

Shaman: Earthborn [Tanking]
    Finally, a true shaman tanking spec. Players who follow the path of the earthborn invoke the power of earth and stone to safeguard themselves and their allies from enemy onslaught. Their version of Righteous Fury or Defensive Stance is called Presence of the Earthborn, which increases armor rating by 75%, reduces all damage taken by 25%, and increases health by 15%; it also increases all threat generated.

Their active mitigation mechanic involves the use of two special totems: Unbreakable Guardian Totem and Living Guardian Totem. While Unbreakable Guardian Totem is on the field, the shaman takes 40% less damage, and all raid members take 20% less damage; while Living Guardian Totem is active, the shaman restores 30% of his health over the totem's duration, and all raid members restore 10% of theirs. These totems cannot be used in conjunction with each other.

To generate threat, shaman rely on Earth Shock, which inflicts damage to all targets in front of them. They can also use other abilities, such as Chain Lighting, Flame Shock, etc. Instead of taunting foes, earthborn shaman use Provocation Totem, which operates similarly to Mocking Banner.

In terms of stats, earthborn shaman prioritize agility, which increases both their attack and spell power. They also gain a passive ability called Might of Earth, which causes strength to also increase your agility, and causes agility to affect your parry and dodge rating. Their mastery is called Vitality of Stone, which increases the damage reduction provided by Unbreakable Guardian Totem and the healing provided by Living Guardian Totem.

With all of the balance issues the game already has 10 more specs being added 1 by 1 to 10 classes seems like a amazing way to make sure nothing is ever close to balanced again. If ppl want to play more roles then their toon allows them to then they should reroll another class that can do the things they are interested in. There are some good ideas for other twists and turns on current classes but at some point less is more and 10 new specs will make things worse.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

As far as balance issues go. WoW isn't centered on pvp, its an aspect of the game and an important one but it isn't centered on it. If you are talking PvE I'm perfectly fine with certain classes performing better than others in specific settings. Its boring if we all do the same dps, hps, etc. every fight.