Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    What the hell happened to Ele?

    So, I'm a bit of an altoholic. I don't really have time or care for end game and I have a lot of fun doing the quests over and over. I recently got to my Ele/Resto Shaman...

    What the f*** happened?

    In the course of 5 90's including a Death Knight and Hunter, my Shaman is getting the living piss beaten out of him. I'm level 89 and my iLvl is 432, so I'm not hanging on to old Cata pieces. I'm using Capacitator, Healing Stream and Healing Tide pretty much on CD along with Thunderstorm and SWG to keep distance. I keep a Fire totem down at all times. Still though, I spend the majority of a fight spamming Healing Surge on myself.

    On my Windwalker Monk, I stopped using Chi Wave from 88 on to 90. On my Hunter I don't know that I died or had to FD at all. On my DK I may have had DS but I certainly don't remember using it.

    I'm just wondering what in the hell they did to the Elemental spec that made it an absolutely retarded experience to level with.

  2. #2
    Not sure what is going on man. I had no issues hitting 90 as ele on my shaman. In fact the only time I had to worry was when I got 3+ mobs but even then it was rather easy. Sorry that wasn't much help but hope someone here can help you out.
    "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy." -Alexander Tytler

  3. #3
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    I'm just wondering what in the hell they did to the Elemental spec that made it an absolutely retarded experience to level with.
    I could say, your doing it wrong... but thats just plain evil

    Anyway, When i level'd(as Ele) i didn't had any issues. Be sure to get a few mob together and Cl the crap out of them. Also for leveling i Highly recommend Ancestral Guidance talent, that together with CL spam and a TS to knock em back should be enough. I did think that a good Shield with some nice armor is almost mandatory.

    You can also prepare ofc for a few mobs... Drop Stone Bulwark/Healing Stream/Searing Totems then FS the firs and LvB it once then CL. You could drop an Earthgrab totem before the reach you after a TS then run a bit and strafe them with SWG and CL spam.

    Also the mobs from 87 and higher are tougher then 85-87.
    Last edited by Beriohtarion; 2013-01-19 at 04:50 AM.

  4. #4
    I literally stopped playing Ele Shaman when I set foot into MoP. I know my gear wasn't good but, man. I ended up dead if I ever pulled more than a single mob. Attempted to fix the problem by doing regular dungeons for better gear; didn't meet the ilevel to queue up.

    I logged out and leveled my Death Knight instead.

    3DS Friendcode: 0705 - 3279 - 0173
    Add me for Pokemon / Bravely Default
    Trainer Name: Bazlyn

  5. #5
    It's not that I can't do it. It's that it requires effort where no other class does. I mindlessly leveled the other classes, even those still in Cata 397's having an easier time, neglecting most/all defensive abilities or regen abilities. I had like 3 stacks of that stupid +100 Hit food after I level my DK because I didn't have to eat once.

    It just feels like more work. I still enjoy it but it's just odd is all.

  6. #6
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Darkside of the Moon
    Posts
    291
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    It's that it requires effort where no other class does.
    So, its fun and its better, as you actually learn to use all abilities. So, shouldn't we say them that all the other Classes are easier and more brain dead to level then our awesome shaman?

  7. #7
    Immortal Clockwork Pinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    7,241
    Pull 3 spam chain lightning use thunderstorm if needed and win. Barely had to use healing surge. Don't forget interrupts and an Earth Shock if melee dps is owning you. I had no trouble leveling with it, but I don't get how one could simply quit leveling because it's not as easy as other classes? Kinda bs is that... I'm really curious as to of what happened while you were leveling than as to your opinion of what happened to a class that seems "broken" when it requires more than a few buttons to stay alive.


  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Giants41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New York, United States of America
    Posts
    1,063
    Anyone else read the first part as alcoholic and not realize it was altoholic till like 5 minutes later...
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

  9. #9
    you made a shaman, so blizzard decided to nerf them because you play one. fuck you

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    Anyone else read the first part as alcoholic and not realize it was altoholic till like 5 minutes later...
    /raises hand

    I had no problems with my ele shaman but had a hell of a time with my feral druid. I guess it just depends on what is more natural and familiar to you in what to do with certain situations. You pull a ton of mobs, you know what to do with certain classes and not so much with others. Maybe try again in 5.2 when eles get a lot more fun

    Cocoabeast | Not taking Sig Requests at this time| My Work

  11. #11
    Don't pull 3 mobs with CL and spam. At lvl 89, you'll be facing mobs that have knockbacks and stuns and other disables. You'll get owned. Pick up Ancestral Guidance rather than Healing Tide. Single pull mobs, and every 2 minutes, pull a big pack activate, Guidance and Elemental Mastery. Every 3 minutes, pull a sizable pack, use an elemental totem and ascendance.

  12. #12
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kadath, Cold Wastes
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Prag View Post
    So, I'm a bit of an altoholic. I don't really have time or care for end game and I have a lot of fun doing the quests over and over. I recently got to my Ele/Resto Shaman...

    What the f*** happened?

    In the course of 5 90's including a Death Knight and Hunter, my Shaman is getting the living piss beaten out of him. I'm level 89 and my iLvl is 432, so I'm not hanging on to old Cata pieces. I'm using Capacitator, Healing Stream and Healing Tide pretty much on CD along with Thunderstorm and SWG to keep distance. I keep a Fire totem down at all times. Still though, I spend the majority of a fight spamming Healing Surge on myself.

    On my Windwalker Monk, I stopped using Chi Wave from 88 on to 90. On my Hunter I don't know that I died or had to FD at all. On my DK I may have had DS but I certainly don't remember using it.

    I'm just wondering what in the hell they did to the Elemental spec that made it an absolutely retarded experience to level with.
    I have no idea what you're doing, but I fear it's something fundamentally wrong. I leveled as Elemental and had almost the opposite experience. The only times I wound up spamming heals on myself were when I got bored and pulled 8 things at once to see if I could do it.

  13. #13
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Orgrimmar
    Posts
    266
    1) Are you using Wind Shear on casters? I recall it helped me a lot when leveling 85-90 (and still does with casters during dailies).

    2) Are you using a shield during solo play? When I have my shield & MH equipped, it takes mobs 6 hits to do the same physical damage as 5 mob hits when I'm using my staff (which has ~1500 more int/spellpower than the MH & shield). (Without a shield, mitigation is ~34%; with a shield, it's ~47%.) It doesn't seem like a big difference, until you consider large numbers of hits. Say, in the course of an evening, you get hit 1000 times for what would be 12k each, unmitigated. With armor but no shield, say each hit is 8k; with a shield, say it's 6.5k. In that evening, with a shield, you'd have taken 1.5 million less damage than if you'd have used a staff.

  14. #14
    Not sure how you are doing it I leveled to 90 just fine as ele no down time issues. Was in 378s most of the journey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    If rogues become shit, all they can become is a different type of shit.

  15. #15
    I leveled Shaman in full DS HC gear without replacing stuff until 90, and i didnt have even shield for passive damage reduction, but staff. I died like twice when i was leveling in Pandaria, and it was only because my own stupidity doing mega pull or something like that.
    If you having hard times just spec to Conductivity, pull 3 mobs, cast Healing Rain and spam Chain Lighting. You wont die. But anyway you shouldnt have any problem even without it.

  16. #16
    I had 0 problems leveling as Elemental (my main) till I hit dreadwastes. Once I got to dreadwastes it became much much more difficult to play. I died several times to 2 mobs, sometimes to just 1. Recently I leveled a rogue up and had absolutely no trouble in dreadwastes. Not exactly sure what it is but I had a similar problem at lvl 89.

  17. #17
    Realm First 90 as Elemental soloing stuff, so I'd say this spec isn't that bad for leveling.
    Shaman - Hunter - Monk - Druid - Warlock - DK - another Shaman - one more Shaman

  18. #18
    Mechagnome Eruionmel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Posts
    705
    It comes down to what you're familiar with. Shaman has been my main from day 1, and I know it inside and out. I leveled very easily even through dread wastes, still pulling multiple mobs at a time and AoEing them down. Killed the 90 rares all the way through the zone. I also breezed through on my priest and my monk. On the other hand, I died so many freaking times trying to level my DK as frost through dread wastes. Two mobs and I was fucked. I'm sure that if DK was my main and I knew it well, I would have had no trouble at all. Every class can survive leveling easily when played by someone who knows how to use it, and every class can get repeatedly annihilated when played by someone who doesn't know how to play it.
    | <Been There Downed That> - Exodar US - US 27th 16/16H |

    | PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by happyzod View Post
    Don't pull 3 mobs with CL and spam. At lvl 89, you'll be facing mobs that have knockbacks and stuns and other disables. You'll get owned. Pick up Ancestral Guidance rather than Healing Tide. Single pull mobs, and every 2 minutes, pull a big pack activate, Guidance and Elemental Mastery. Every 3 minutes, pull a sizable pack, use an elemental totem and ascendance.
    I think this must be the root of my problem. I'm used to pulling groups of mobs and AOE'ing. I interrupt and Capacitator, but I still end up killing them off slowly because I spend most of the time casting Surge or HST/HTT.

    That's the part I don't understand. This feels similar to the leveling experience as Ele in BC, whereas Wrath and Cata were "pull all in sight and AOE down". I guess some classes got to keep that.

  20. #20
    With the conductivity talent you can do aoe pulls quite well. Have you tried it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    If rogues become shit, all they can become is a different type of shit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •