Challange mode heroics.. different approach

I know some servers probably have real competitions etc. But skimming through a bunch of servers, I found many (if not most) of them similar to mine ( Fenris)

My server. there are about 3-4 times for each dungeon that is gold.. usually all of them are from the same team, and most of the ´team´members are not even from my server. In many cases, only a single player from my server is responsible for all the gold times for a dungeon, the other members all from a different server. The really disturbing part is the lack of silver times backing it up.. in some cases, only a few silver times also.

We keep hearing that Challenge modes will ´pick up´ near the end of a tier, when people start running out of things to do.. but that just isn´t happening.. mostly the same times have been there for months.

I like the theory behind challenge modes, but I think without real rewards it takes a lot of extra effort to do them. I honestly don´t think they will ever pick up, which is fine in a way because they probably weren´t very difficult to implement.

I just would like opinions on this. What happens if they just did challenge modes with regular heroics, were you could outgear the crap out of them and the game just kept score of how fast you did it. Yeah, your time would constantly be getting beat as others get more gear... but at the end, it would be interesting to see ´group x did heroic stormstout brewery in 2m 31 seconds.... rather than what I think most realms are going to see, and that is 4 teams with gold medals, and half the team being from a different realm and times not really moving. I don´t think my idea would be called challenge modes, but something else like lightning dungeons..

10+ Year Old Account
    Similar on my server. 1 person ran with an assorted team from off-server to get all gold and the realm first achievement. He then transferred off the server.

Where do you check these times?

I've ran them and I really like them, they're just insanely hard and take a lot of time.

To be honest at the end of this Expansion, I'll probably run them with my guild as we're running out of things to do.

I really love the DK set for Challenge Modes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    Where do you check these times?
    You can check them on the Challenge Mode tab in game or at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/challeng...ing-sun/#reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    You can check them on the Challenge Mode tab in game or at http://us.battle.net/wow/en/challeng...ing-sun/#reset.
    I wonder if they'll ever add Challenge Modes to Raids..

That'd be interesting, but near unforgiving to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    I've ran them and I really like them, they're just insanely hard and take a lot of time.

To be honest at the end of this Expansion, I'll probably run them with my guild as we're running out of things to do.

I really love the DK set for Challenge Modes.
    Yeah, it is not like I hate the current challenge modes.. it is just they are something you really don´t have time to do now, because there are other more rewarding things to do. I guess we will see on that last tier, if we have like Cata and Wotlk and have 9 months without content.

I personally enjoy doing semi-informal speed runs ( it is good to be the tank). Hop in LFD and go... I have most of them under 10mins now in a pure pug without anyone else really knowing what I am doing.

Interesting. There only seem to be 30 to 50 teams per dungeon (on my server, at least). Assuming half are from my server on average (some are all the same server, some have only 1 person) thats only 75 to 125 players trying challenge modes on the whole server.

Wow. And I thought 1% for Sunwell was bad, but this looks even worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Interesting. There only seem to be 30 to 50 teams per dungeon (on my server, at least). Assuming half are from my server on average (some are all the same server, some have only 1 person) thats only 75 to 125 players trying challenge modes on the whole server.

The difference is that CM are meant to be something extra. Sunwell was mainline content.

The other big difference is challenge modes probably took about 1 day to program, and then a few dozen groups test running them to get the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    I know some servers probably have real competitions etc. But skimming through a bunch of servers, I found many (if not most) of them similar to mine ( Fenris)

My server. there are about 3-4 times for each dungeon that is gold.. usually all of them are from the same team, and most of the ´team´members are not even from my server. In many cases, only a single player from my server is responsible for all the gold times for a dungeon, the other members all from a different server. The really disturbing part is the lack of silver times backing it up.. in some cases, only a few silver times also.

We keep hearing that Challenge modes will ´pick up´ near the end of a tier, when people start running out of things to do.. but that just isn´t happening.. mostly the same times have been there for months.

I like the theory behind challenge modes, but I think without real rewards it takes a lot of extra effort to do them.

[snip]
    ....got to that line and sighed.

One person I know plays WoW to collect mounts... that is her "reward".

What you personally find as a "reward" doesn't make it any more "real".

This is why I love challenge modes. It LEGITIMATELY separates those who say they WANT challenge from those who say they want challenge, but really just want a gigantic wall to separate themselves from the "herd" in a little-boys "I have better stats than you and can beat you up" club.

---------- Post added 2013-01-19 at 05:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Azrile View Post
    Yeah, it is not like I hate the current challenge modes.. it is just they are something you really don´t have time to do now, because there are other more rewarding things to do. I guess we will see on that last tier, if we have like Cata and Wotlk and have 9 months without content.
    Congratulations - you just discovered you're playing an MMORPG - where you CHOOSE what kind of gameplay you want to engage in.