Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[Anime] Pet Peeves

I was wondering what sort of pet peeves you guys have when it comes to anime.

I'll start. I find it insanely difficult to watch any anime where the main lead is treated poorly by (mainly) female characters, although this can apply to men to, it's unlikely in my opinion.

A very common example is when a guy actually saves a girl, but by some circumstance, or perhaps just the act of saving her, they fall to the ground and he ends up groping her. This leads to the female beating the crap out of the guy. Can you be any less grateful? I understand this is supposed to be some sort of humor, but for me it is the most frustrating thing to watch.

Yes, I realize it's hard to watch any anime with this being my pet peeve :P

So, what are yours?

10+ Year Old Account
    When they don't get together at the end. I think that covers about 99% of anime. Isn't just a pet peeve, it outright pisses me the fuck off. I don't mind when the whole series is he obviously loves her but is embarrassed to show it, she obviously love him but is embarrassed to show it. Fine, cool, it's kinda cute like that. But if they don't at least KISS by the end, I'm usually in a fucking rage lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

I suppose mine would be when characters who clearly should be dead/about to die somehow find a ridiculous away to survive out of nowhere.

i cant watch SAO due to the main "hero". his atitude early in the anime makes me hard to actualy want to see the rest of the episodes. the issue is that hes all like "oh only i matter and my survival is the most important thing screw any1 else." then he meets some people and thinks "oh i'm lonely, guess i will hang out with these newbies but i wont tell them my secrets so i can show off" then he proceeds to start liking the group and then the group dies because they think that they are getting better at the game but in fact it was due to the hero beign much higher lvl than the zone they were in so then the hero goes on a self pity and remorse stage. it makes me realy angry because why doesnt he just f**in tell the truth the first time instead of people actualy dying for his selfish needs and then the whole remorse stage
    someone else might have gotten it wrong.

Fan service animes...i don't mid fan service but it has to have some story to back it up...the glut of crap pseudo hentai anime in the last year with no story past a basic harem plot nearly killed the industry.

Mecha Pilots mental instability....almost every single one is a fucking fruit loop and can't handle it...loved full metal panic because they didn't do this(well towards the end they did)

Gary Stu main characters, giant ass pulls, and plot armor. Oh look, I described SAO.

Tsunderes, I can't stand a good chunk of them. They are pretty much the same character with a different coating, they say the same shit, they do the same thing, it's gotten to the point where it's just so easy to parody most tsunderes.

When best girl loses.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2013-01-19 at 06:11 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When nobody dies, not even minor characters. You go through the battle, people are getting shot/blown up/etc, and after the battle, you find out all those minor characters that were killed were actually just mildly injured and unconscious. It seems like in some series, the moment you learn a character's name is the moment they become untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    When they don't get together at the end. I think that covers about 99% of anime. Isn't just a pet peeve, it outright pisses me the fuck off. I don't mind when the whole series is he obviously loves her but is embarrassed to show it, she obviously love him but is embarrassed to show it. Fine, cool, it's kinda cute like that. But if they don't at least KISS by the end, I'm usually in a fucking rage lol.
    this 100%

With bleach you see from episode 1 to 366 "or the manga if you fallow it" that Ichgo and Rukia like each other but never has came of it.

And in full metal alchemist Ed likes winry and she likes him but it wasn't until brotherhoods ending that something finally happen with them 2.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Deleted
    Probably DARKNESS.
    That said, I can watch pretty much anything.

Whiny main characters and males that are afraid of girls that like them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Voice actor switching, come on now, what's so hard about keeping the same ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Voice actor switching, come on now, what's so hard about keeping the same ones?
    Maybe stop watching shitty dubs and you won't have that problem?

OT: When text on screen goes by quicker than I can read it so I have to go back, pause the video, and read it again. This almost never happens with dialogue unless there's something wrong with the subs, so it's usually background text that usually isn't really necessary to read, but I do anyway.
    Last edited by An-Tuirseach; 2013-01-20 at 03:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    When the anime is more 'kid-friendly' than the manga, such as removing blood or some borderline 'adult' scenes.

On a related note, any anime that 4Kids got their hands on.

*SPOILER ALERT FOR SWORD ART ONLINE*

Sword Art Online 15-24. Almost everything I hate about anime, compacted into 10 episodes of a good anime that could have been a great anime but had to go and screw it up. If I ever watch Sword Art Online again, I will skip from 14 to 25 without a single hesitation.

Examples:
    Quasi-incestuous (not actually blood-related but still siblings) romance
    Bad villains (not intimidating, frightening, or remotely threatening to anyone in the slightest)
    Ineffectual World-Building (when you can skip past episodes and lose no value whatsoever from the show)
    Lack of Commitment in Themes (If you're going to play with rape/torture, then get it over with; otherwise, don't bother)
    Lack of Plot-Helpful Secondary Characters
    Lack of Secondary Plot Until Last Episode (when writers forgot that there was a world outside the game and Kazuto/Kirito's house that they have to include)
    Lack of Real Tension in the Climax (you KNEW the stupid-ass "big bad" was going to lose, and that Kirito was going to win and save Asuna)
    Lack of Main Character Flaws (Kirito becomes a GM at the end? and connects all future MMOs together? He's basically God of the MMO at this point with no notable real-world repercussions)
    Carp - Illidan-US
    I wish I wish I was a fish.
    My rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Enzefik View Post
    Maybe stop watching shitty dubs and you won't have that problem?
    Best dub I have seen that I can think of is Hellsing and Hellsing Ultimate.

Also I feel Bleach/Full Metal Alchemist +Brotherhood/Naruto are dubbed really good. But it dose get annoying to hear the same voice across many anime's

---------- Post added 2013-01-20 at 04:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    When the anime is more 'kid-friendly' than the manga, such as removing blood or some borderline 'adult' scenes.

On a related note, any anime that 4Kids got their hands on.
    Couldn't agree more.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Carp The Fish View Post
    *SPOILER ALERT FOR SWORD ART ONLINE*

Sword Art Online 15-24. Almost everything I hate about anime, compacted into 10 episodes of a good anime that could have been a great anime but had to go and screw it up. If I ever watch Sword Art Online again, I will skip from 14 to 25 without a single hesitation.

Examples:
    Quasi-incestuous (not actually blood-related but still siblings) romance
    But... SAO was never good. Incest is a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    this 100%

With bleach you see from episode 1 to 366 "or the manga if you fallow it" that Ichgo and Rukia like each other but never has came of it.

And in full metal alchemist Ed likes winry and she likes him but it wasn't until brotherhoods ending that something finally happen with them 2.
    The ONLY freakin' anime I own/have watched where they actually got together was Fushigi Yugi. Granted, that was kind of the entire plot point of the whole series lol. I had to buy it and watch it JUST so I could FINALLY see anime couples get together!

The one that pisses me off the most is Full Metal Panic!. Love triangle for sure, but sheesh I wish SOMEthing would happen already! The ending to Second Raid made me /nerdrage so hard...she was sooooooooooo fucking CLOSE to finally saying something...then booted him in the face. REALLY?!?!?

I'm a big ol' softy on the inside (and an ex-military nuthouse on the outside ><), contrary to what a lot of people I know think lol, and I literally die a little inside when these perfect couples don't get together...I'm probably the biggest emotional freak out of all my friends. I cry at the silliest things. I cheer when the dude/chick finally gets the dude/chick...when it actually happens. >.> In some anime, I can't recall many at the moment, it actually RUINS the entire series to me when they don't hook up. Oh, UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie. Yeah, I watched that shit. Cried through most of it, too. God dammit, and they DIDN'T HOOK UP. FML.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Anime in Japanese. While Swedish is the best, it's impossible to find. English ones are acceptable, but hard to find.
    &nbsp;

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Anime in Japanese. While Swedish is the best, it's impossible to find. English ones are acceptable, but hard to find.
    I listened to an interview of a Swedish voice actor, and I think she said that Sweden doesn't dub anime that much. They deal in mostly American shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I listened to an interview of a Swedish voice actor, and I think she said that Sweden doesn't dub anime that much. They deal in mostly American shows.
    Swedish is for nostalgic reasons more than anything, but I also like the more "homely" feel and how expressionate the language can be.
    Bad dubs are bad, no matter if it's in English or Swedish, but considering the spread of the languages and Anime being more popular in the English speaking world I'd guess there are more bad ones as well, if nothing in quantity rather than percentage.

The ones we've had dubbed for sure is Pokémon(<3), Starzinger(<3), Sailor Moon(<3), Yugioh, Digimon and whatever's been on Cartoon Network.
    &nbsp;