Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

High Elves out in force?

So it seems to me that the High Elves are coming out in force this expansion. If you look at the recent pictures on the main page of the new isle, The Alliance base is filled with High Elves. And they are going head to head with the sunreaver Blood elves.

This has me wondering. Will the High elves take on a larger role from now on in the Alliance? Perhaps they will even become a player race. I mean with Pandaren being a multi-faction race it isn't that far out there.

But what do you guys think about it? Are the High Elves becoming more prominent as an Alliance race or is this just a 5.2 thing?

The Silver Covenant is entirely High Elves and I think Vereesa's rangers were added to their strength if they weren't associated yet. I think they are going to only be in force here in 5.2, representing a military arm of the Kirin Tor. I have this feeling that Vereesa will end up dead at the hands of Hellscream.

Deleted
    A big Alliance-affiliated high elf community was wiped out in Theramore. Having the Silver Covenant become more actively involved in the faction conflict could be a way to set up another large chunk of the Alliance high elf population for a fall. Blizzard might be getting them out of the way so any Thalassian advances in plot later can be focused around the Silvermoon Sin'dorei and people will be less able to argue that high elves make up a legitimately sizeable enough portion of the Alliance to justify their receiving more time in the spotlight than at least a third of the Alliance's playable races.

(Edit: I find it very interesting that all of the non-Silver Covenant Kirin Tor agents at the base appear to be neutral to Horde members. That is intriguing. Implies that most do not feel as strongly anti-Horde as the new head of the council and her blue-eyed bulldog, Vereesa.)
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2013-01-19 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    A big Alliance-affiliated high elf community was wiped out in Theramore. Having the Silver Covenant become more actively involved in the faction conflict could be a way to set up another large chunk of the Alliance high elf population for a fall. Blizzard might be getting them out of the way so any Thalassian advances in plot later can be focused around the Silvermoon Sin'dorei and people will be less able to argue that high elves make up a legitimately sizeable enough portion of the Alliance to justify their receiving more time in the spotlight than at least a third of the Alliance's playable races.
    I say let the High Elves take all the spotlight as Alliance elves in lore. They can get crapped on and turned into new cannon fodder so long as Blizz never writes another word of Night Elf lore.

(Edit: I find it very interesting that all of the non-Silver Covenant Kirin Tor agents at the base appear to be neutral to Horde members. That is intriguing. Implies that most do not feel as strongly anti-Horde as the new head of the council and her blue-eyed bulldog, Vereesa.)
    Or they dont want support npcs being killed by groups of horde players. It'd be nice to see if non-sunreaver agents appear as neutral to the Alliance since it would just validate the idea of support npcs being shielded from zone disruptions.

Well, If I remember right Stormwind alone is said to have around 20,000 High elves. Thats is a pretty decent amount seeing as how we are yet to really see them in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm rather pleased with it so far. If High Elves can't be playable (Which I want but know will never happen) then they should still be seen playing an active role in the Alliance. This is great so far.
    Also I gotta say that I really don't Vereesa.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's probably just a bug of some sort currently. I can't see Blizzard making a decision that put's one bases PvP defence into jeopardy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your not going to get a "Alliance Belf", so please stop imagining that you might. High Elves playing a role in the lore makes sense given the attack on Dalaran but, rather than having a different texture for their eyes, Blood Elves *are* High Elves.

Given the massive QQ from the vocal minority on wanting new player models, how do you think they could consider giving Alliance a new race from tBC era?
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    Well, If I remember right Stormwind alone is said to have around 20,000 High elves. Thats is a pretty decent amount seeing as how we are yet to really see them in game.
    Nope Stormwind has not, it is from the rpg books which are non canon. The only actual number which is still canon is 1% of the original population from Quel'thalas remained high elves and that was at the beginning of bc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    I kinda hope they stop getting killed in droves, theres apparently not many left. But they probably need to address the relationship between the blood elves and the high elves for good. Have them properly sort out their shit, so that both races know were they stand. Plus if the blood elves have the sunwell back, they wont stay corrupted will they?
    Their eyes will have the green glow for a few generations, but will reverse in time. With recent events it almost seems the relations between high and blood elves broke down for good.

Honestly the rpg books had better lore tidbits. Its annoying when you read something cool then you find out its non canon.
    Some parts were good but a great deal was just horrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Silver Covenant is a militant wing of the Kirin Tor. It shouldn't be surprising to see it around when the Kirin Tor is mobilizing for war.

I think at the very most unlikely best, you may see expanded ethnic options and customization with the new player models and high elves may end up an option in some creative way. But I wouldn't bet on it. I think it would be cool though.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    Speaking of the RPG book, I always thought this was canon but its apparently not.

"High elves have rings that keep them connected to the sunwells power, even when it was corrupted." Or something like that. Since thats not true what do high elves live off, since the blood elves essentially own the Sunwell now?
    The Blood Elves allow High Elven pilgers access to the Sunwell. But dont quote me on this. Hopefully they'll ban them for good.
    Last edited by mmoc59b5827c7e; 2013-01-19 at 05:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    It's just Blizzard's excuse to make mistakes or sudden changes in lore: "Oooh, but those books weren't real lore!"
    Complete bullshit if you ask me; Don't tell us stuff about the Warcraft-universe if they aren't even true.

And as far as my RP-ing in the game goes, I take the RPG-books as lore.
    They never were canon to begin with.

Are the Warcraft and World of Warcraft RPG books considered canon?
    No. The RPG books were created to provide an engaging table-top role-playing experience, which sometimes required diverging from the established video game canon. Blizzard helped generate a great deal of the content within the RPG books, so there will be times when ideas from the RPG will make their way into the game and official lore, but you are much better off considering the RPG books non-canonical unless otherwise stated.
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Ask_CDev

It's just Blizzard's excuse to make mistakes or sudden changes in lore: "Oooh, but those books weren't real lore!"
    Complete bullshit if you ask me; Don't tell us stuff about the Warcraft-universe if they aren't even true.

And as far as my RP-ing in the game goes, I take the RPG-books as lore.
    The majority of this lore is what Chris Metzen thinks is cool. If you want to make what Chris Metzen thought was cool 10 years ago some kind of law, that's your prerogative;e, but it's obtuse. If new content would work out with a really cool alteration in something he didn't even consider important 10 years ago, there shouldn't be a law that says he has to abandon that idea. The few changes we've had were not that bad.

Metzen never said you should throw out the RPG books. They are a loose approximation, a sketchbook, of concepts. Until you see a contradiction, they can be considered possible in an argument. I'd rather hear Metzen's personal loose ideas at the risk they may change than to have never heard of any of that stuff at all.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Since thats not true what do high elves live off, since the blood elves essentially own the Sunwell now?
    They are draining from trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    The majority of this lore is what Chris Metzen thinks is cool.
    Kinda sucks when the only things he thinks are cool are Orcs, Horde story advancement and "redemption stories".

Or what if Metzen suddenly decided that the Forsaken are there because of some Night Elf plague
    Replace Forsaken with Worgen and Night Elf plague with Night Elf curse and ya, Metzen suddenly decided on that for Worgen.
    What he calls "lore" is what RP'ers call "history", you can't just change history 'because you feel like it'.
    World of Retcon says otherwise
    Last edited by Justignoreme; 2013-01-19 at 05:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    So it seems to me that the High Elves are coming out in force this expansion. If you look at the recent pictures on the main page of the new isle, The Alliance base is filled with High Elves. And they are going head to head with the sunreaver Blood elves.

This has me wondering. Will the High elves take on a larger role from now on in the Alliance? Perhaps they will even become a player race. I mean with Pandaren being a multi-faction race it isn't that far out there.

But what do you guys think about it? Are the High Elves becoming more prominent as an Alliance race or is this just a 5.2 thing?

My biggest pointer is that previously blizzard stated they wouldnt do high elves because they wanted the silhouettes to be different on BGs. Easily recognizable factions by race.

Now that we have pandas....

/shrug.

PERSONALLY, i feel like when you rolled a DK, you shouldve been able to choose. They couldve given you a letter to go to EITHER faction's leaders. They just did your own based on race because of the silhouette problem.

That's my point :P He is doing it and it sucks!
    Agreed. The funniest is when they forget lore they just wrote and then refute it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    I can not wait to shoot in arrow in to Vereesa's face.