Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    I guess that's true, video games make an easy target for controversy because the developers have no real sphere of influence outside the gamers themselves.\
    There's this, too. There's no RIAA or MPAA analogue in the video game industry with the clout and financial power to bribe politicians to get on their knees and open wide for them, which leaves video games as a convenient scapegoat for fearmongering after any given shooting despite COD-style hyperrealistic games being the minority, whereas almost every summer blockbuster with a PG rating or above will feature someone with a handgun mowing down crowds of faceless goons effortlessly.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Since we're discussing taxes:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ed-criticized/

Jindal wants to eliminate his state income tax and make up for it by removing the tax deduction for interest paid on home mortgages.
    Great idea.....

Fine example of how the stupidity of some politicians can often not be beaten, even if one would try to..
    Removing tax deduction for home owners would drive even more home owners into foreclosure. Right now millions of homeowners can barely pay their mortgages anyway. Foreclosures are at an all time high. The Housing market is on an extremely slow recovery and could plunge back faster than it recovers.
    On top, most home owners re-invest that tax in maintenance. That would translate into a sharp hit for the maintenance industry like painters, carpenters, roofers, etc.. We are talking now about the REAL small businesses. Those who are the size of 1 - 5 people. They would feel it the most, by not getting contracts which are essential for their own income, which is usually far from great anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    Makes my head hurt.
    The tax on violent video games makes me want to murder the stupid bitch named Diane franklin. Is it strange the video game itself isn't doing that? It's just Diane.

And wtf about tv and movies.

Not sure what the point of this is. How about a 1% tax on foods with > 10% fat content?

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    I don't particularly care about 60 cents, it's the continued vilification of video games that makes no sense to me.
    If an additional 1% gets these people to shut up about the vilification of video games, then I will happily pay it. What are the odds of them shutting up? 1%....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sills View Post
    If an additional 1% gets these people to shut up about the vilification of video games, then I will happily pay it. What are the odds of them shutting up? 1%....
    They wont shut up because the things they think this will fix will not be changed.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Sigh. Exactly why I oppose "sin taxes".
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    1% of $60 is $0.60. It's not the end of the world, even if I don't agree with it.
    It's not about how much money it is, it's about agreeing with the stupid crusade against video games..

Does this mean we can tax everything that is violent? I think the famous painting the Scream is violent, can we add a 1% tax to everyone who sells copies of it?
    I have been chosen by the big metal hand in the sky!

Quote Originally Posted by Migas11 View Post
    It's not about how much money it is, it's about agreeing with the stupid crusade against video games..
    If it makes an impact to mental health and they also tax movies, I'd still support it.

Meanwhile Texans want to make gun sales tax free.

Great sense of priorities and common sense and stuff there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    Makes my head hurt.
    You think we are violent now...just wait until this passes....Owait....not that many people pay for video games now days...atleast not the violent ones...
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    If it makes an impact to mental health and they also tax movies, I'd still support it.
    To be honest, I would too. The mental health system is in dire need of better funding. As Migas11 said, I think the crusade against video games is ridiculous, but there needs to be some serious changes in regards to mental health, in my opinion, mostly in how psych wards are run. Wards are the most degrading, hopeless places on earth, and worst of all, they are rarely effective.

Agreed. And I would actually support it if:

1) It wasn't confined to just video games.
    2) It was funneled into mental health completely.
    Until a link between violent media exposure and violent behavior is proven, I won't be supporting it.